• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country V City

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
NSW Country V Sydney

Unsure if someone already had this thread up so sorry if I've doubled it.

Country girls went down to Sydney (unsure of the score at this stage).

Currently the mens game is 14-all.

Great to see this on TV. Its on the ABC regular time of the shute shield for anyone who doesnt know.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
NSW Country 17 lead Sydney 14 at HT, Country having to do a lot of defending but hanging in there and pulling off some good attack when needed. It has been raining also.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
NSW Country well and truly burnt out by the sheer amount of defence they've had to do this game. Sydney leading Country 28-17.

W

waves

Unsure if someone already had this thread up so sorry if I've doubled it.

Country girls went down to City (unsure of the score at this stage).

Currently the mens game is 14-all.

Great to see this on TV. Its on the ABC regular time of the shute shield for anyone who doesnt know.

To be honest I believe its a poor game whether and lack of training together. Im not sure about Country but this Sydney team isn't the strongest outfit running around a lot of players pulling out etc.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Sydney's structure just took its toll on a plucky Country side.

I thought City No8 Talalelei Gray had a blinder, got through a mountain of work and made a lot of hard yards. Flyhalf Dave Harvey was quality, made it look easy.

Both sides need to be prosecuted for crimes against set pieces. Scrums and lineouts (particularly country's lineout) have been utterly disgraceful.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
To be honest I believe its a poor game whether and lack of training together. Im not sure about Country but this Sydney team isn't the strongest outfit running around a lot of players pulling out etc.

Yeah, the weather is crap and it isnt the strongest Sydney side (I'm unsure about Country but I think the Country boys and girls do have a lot of pride in the jersey & take it pretty seriously, at least from what I've seen). Apparently the womens Sydney team only fielded one Wallaroo even though most of the Wallaroos come from their comp - pretty disgraceful but I'm guessing they are leaving that for Nationals.

Despite the weather and lack of training I'm just glad to be watching a Rugby team that I give a stuff about (Country). Its really more about that than the result although I wouldve loved to have seen Country make some upsets. I was glad to see Grant play as well as a few of the local blokes I know have a run.

FT 42-17 to Sydney (mens)

FT 25-17 to Sydney (womens)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Sydney yes, NSW Country no. The only people who think its NSW in general are Sydneysiders or people from outside NSW who have never lived in Country NSW.

I agree AngrySeahorse. The point I was trying to make is in line with RugbyFuture. These matches between City and Country are basically played for pride only (and i don't think from that match there was too much pride in it)the game doesn't lead anywhere as far as selections go, generally the best players from Sydney are either fringe contract players or their clubs don't want them to play in a game that doesn't mean anything to them.

I think something along the lines of City v Country "origin style" is the go. There are plenty of Country kids who have to move to the city (sydney, brisbane, canberra, melbourne) if they want to make it as a professional/semi-professional rugby player. Maybe these guys could be playing for the team from where they are from not where they currently reside.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree AngrySeahorse. The point I was trying to make is in line with RugbyFuture. These matches between City and Country are basically played for pride only (and i don't think from that match there was too much pride in it)the game doesn't lead anywhere as far as selections go, generally the best players from Sydney are either fringe contract players or their clubs don't want them to play in a game that doesn't mean anything to them.

I think something along the lines of City v Country "origin style" is the go. There are plenty of Country kids who have to move to the city (sydney, brisbane, canberra, melbourne) if they want to make it as a professional/semi-professional rugby player. Maybe these guys could be playing for the team from where they are from not where they currently reside.

That is a top idea. I'd love for that to happen.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was a top game given the conditions.

I've always touted 10. Dave Harvey as a likely player for Super Rugby squad, warts and all, and he took another step forward last week. If the ARC had been going since 2007 I think that Dave would already be in a Super stable. He doesn't lack confidence. He's only 25 but if he doesn't get a gig soon the world could pass him by.

There is no doubting the suitability of 8. Tala Gray for Super Rugby but his history of having both a shoulder and knee construction at age 21 could make him a pariah with the guys with clipboards.

John Grant is looking more and more like a footie player. This year he is trying different stuff and doesn't look as clumsy as he has been in the past though I'd still like to see him run over folks more often rather than avoid them - and develop a strong fend and seek to use it. He's big enough.

He probably couldn't run 10.8 secs these days as he did to win the GPS 100 metres title, having bulked up for rugby, but is still bloody quick.

He's the kind of player who could ease into the Rebels to replace Rooney and if he is a bit more robust in his play for the rest of the season and tries a few more things in traffic, McCabe style, he could get the chance.

Incidentally, others have mentioned the merits of scrummie Dewet Roos, yet I gave the little bloke faint praise in response. I now conclude that they were right and I was wrong; he's a cracking player.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Incidentally, others have mentioned the merits of scrummie Dewet Roos, yet I gave the little bloke faint praise in response. I now conclude that they were right and I was wrong; he's a cracking player.

I thought the conditions would have suited his name..

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Would that have been the same half back who played for CHS a few years ago at Knox during the schoolboy selections?

Status
Not open for further replies.