• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW GPS expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
However it can be good as it can bring about fairer competition for the CAS rather than same teams sitting at the bottom of the tables each year... for example hypothetically if you put sydney boys high or st patricks (which would be at a similar level to some of the CAS schools in their rugby programs) it would give a chance for Cranbrook or St Aloysious to build confidence in their rugby programs? I hope that makes sense and doesnt sound unfair? also it would prevent half the open teams playing other schools because the opposition cant field enough teams..

Partially agree, but I don't think having a tiered competition is the way to go. There has to be a balance, but also we don't want to see the strong getting stronger and the weak getting weaker. I think that has what has partially happened in the CHS with the various selective schools.

But we do need different schools playing each other. (And I also think that at certain levels, Aloys and Cranbrook have become more competitive...so we don't want to diminish those schools' aspirations...)

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Lee why was my previous comment censored?
I was under the impression I had left the Sportal gulag.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Because it was a needless comment. It was a rant unrelated to the subject of the thread. You are more than welcome to start your own thread if you wish to take said rant further.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

barbarian has answered that one but since you mentioned the subject I also deleted one of yours.

IIRR it related to a mild post from Doc on another thread to which you answered: "Go back to Sportal" and nothing else.

Since Doc is not in bad odour with this forum I zapped it as being inapproriate.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
talk about school rugger always does.

i'd be interested in getting people's opinions and why schools rugby is so much more polarising and aggressive then inter province or even country matches.

perhaps it warrants a thread.

As an old boy of a CHS school, the attitudes of some GPS types towards their school and its rugby is mindboggling. Truly mindboggling.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As an old boy of a CHS school, the attitudes of some GPS types towards their school and its rugby is mindboggling. Truly mindboggling.

I wouldn't expect a non-GPS oldboy to understand. That's not a swing at you or anything. I think it's great the connection oldboys still have to their school, you'd never see that in a public school.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
talk about school rugger always does.

i'd be interested in getting people's opinions and why schools rugby is so much more polarising and aggressive then inter province or even country matches.

perhaps it warrants a thread.
My 2c worth? Much of the bile seems to be propagated by "recent school-leavers", with a few exceptions. Once people have been away from the cossetting of the alma mater for a while, and experienced the real world they probably realise inter-school squabbling is, well, juvenile and pointless.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wouldn't expect a non-GPS oldboy to understand. That's not a swing at you or anything. I think it's great the connection oldboys still have to their school, you'd never see that in a public school.

Really? Lots of old boys from schools like the one I went to retain a connection with each other, and to some extent, with their old school. I am very proud of my school, but not because of its sporting prowess - I am proud because of the people that it produced. School sport is something for schoolkids, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.