• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie and Moth,

I couldn't find the coaches on the SJRU site but i found these names somewhere:
Syd 17s Peter Evans George Gargoulakis / Sy Lagaaia

Anyone know when they name the 17's?

LT,

It is my understanding that the selectors for the 17's were meeting tonight from which I believe a team will be announced tomorrow!

sprites

Bob McCowan (2)
Well I'm glad the 2012 Representative Season is upon us, looking forward to some great rugby in the coming months!

Here's my take on the Sydney U17s for 2012:

1. Cameron Orr (West Harbour)
2. Geoff Coffill (West Harbour)
3. Fred Fiala-Motu (Randwick)
4. Josh Anderson (Eastwood)
5. Riley Jacobson (Parramatta)
6. Brendan Paenga-Amosa (Southern Districts)
7. David Morris (Norths)
8. Jarrod Matairavula (Parramatta) OR Amanakiola Moala (West Harbour)
9. Brent Whicker (Parramatta)
10. Ben O'Donnell (Randwick)
11. Dean Pologa (Norths)
12. Christian Kagassis (Sydney University)
13. Trent Winterstein (Parramatta)
14. Ibrahim Rafraf (West Harbour)
15. Ben Cotton (Eastwood)

Reserves
16. Nicholas Koutsoukis (Randwick)
17. Jack Ulu (Parramatta) OR Vaka Maile (Sydney University)
18. Hector Titterton (Sydney University)
19. Jarrod Matairavula (Parramatta) OR Amanakiola Moala (West Harbour)
20. Cale Angeloni (Parramatta)
21. Mike Lloyd (Warringah)
22. Erickson Aukofolau (Norths)
23. Morgan Hornsby (Parramatta)

In the case of #8 & #19, I believe both Jarrod and Amanakiola will be in the team either starting or reserve. Both are fantastic ball runners and a threat to any defensive line.

R

Rugby Rugby

Other age groups are done.
I just found the results page. Doh!It really highlights some issues.
Wests conceded 90 points in 3 games. If some of the earlier writers have strong points about 5 or 6, selections from Wests for a rep team, well...I dunno..Parra conceded over 40 points in the preliminary games but then were 41-5 in the combined semi and the grand final results - that is amazing. Talk about stepping up! Otherwise defensively Cent Coast Randwick and Norths look quite strong. Maybe that's tough on Eastwood but they only had 2 preliminary games - so hard to judge. Warringah conceded 74 points in 4 games - but they did play both Parra and the Wicks maybe it looks worse then it is.

R

Rugby Rugby

Sprites maybe you are right in your team...what would I know?
Just a question.
Your run on rep team of 16 has 4 Wests players.
No one from Warringah and 2 from Randwick.

Didn't Warringah beat Wests 32-12?
32 points scored in a 45 minute game?

Geez mate that ref must have had an absolute shocker!

How many Wests players would you have included if Wests had actually won a game?

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Well I'm glad the 2012 Representative Season is upon us, looking forward to some great rugby in the coming months!

Here's my take on the Sydney U17s for 2012:

1. Cameron Orr (West Harbour)
2. Geoff Coffill (West Harbour)
3. Fred Fiala-Motu (Randwick)
4. Josh Anderson (Eastwood)
5. Riley Jacobson (Parramatta)
6. Brendan Paenga-Amosa (Southern Districts)
7. David Morris (Norths)
8. Jarrod Matairavula (Parramatta) OR Amanakiola Moala (West Harbour)
9. Brent Whicker (Parramatta)
10. Ben O'Donnell (Randwick)
11. Dean Pologa (Norths)
12. Christian Kagassis (Sydney University)
13. Trent Winterstein (Parramatta)
14. Ibrahim Rafraf (West Harbour)
15. Ben Cotton (Eastwood)

Reserves
16. Nicholas Koutsoukis (Randwick)
17. Jack Ulu (Parramatta) OR Vaka Maile (Sydney University)
18. Hector Titterton (Sydney University)
19. Jarrod Matairavula (Parramatta) OR Amanakiola Moala (West Harbour)
20. Cale Angeloni (Parramatta)
21. Mike Lloyd (Warringah)
22. Erickson Aukofolau (Norths)
23. Morgan Hornsby (Parramatta)

In the case of #8 & #19, I believe both Jarrod and Amanakiola will be in the team either starting or reserve. Both are fantastic ball runners and a threat to any defensive line.

It is difficult. All of these players could do a job but I didn't think Fred went as well as I have seen him, Cameron Orr was playing further back in the fowards and Brendan didn't play on the weekend. I would have Jarrod in but probably flanking. I think Riley had a solid tournament but again I don't think he is a 2nd rower and may be best used as a utility forward off the bench.

And I agree with Newbie about Josh Mitchell, he looked good to be all through the weekend including the mud bath final.

Bill McLean (32)
What about the boys who DNP as a result of injury or conscious decision?

Was Brendon Paenga-Amosa injured after the CHS trial last week prior to the State Champs?

There are notable others like Jamison Clark and Michael Morgan. I know that Clark played in the CAS v CHS game with Amosa; was he injured as well or was it a conscious decision on his part as well?

I know for a fact that Morgan is injured as he was still in moon boot when he was selected for the NSWCCC U/18's two weeks ago.

I know the rules dispensate for injury but what about conscious decision? I noticed that Cam Orr only took the field on the second day, which I find interesting! What was his situation because he too participated in the CAS v CHS trial. Did someone have a word in his ear perhaps

C

Casnovian

Not sure you are correct re Cameron Orr - understand he played in one game Saturday morning - saw him on the TV as ballboy for the Sydney & Country game at Concord in the afternoon (perhaps one of his duties as Current Club Captain for West Juniors) - did notice him cramping up on Sunday and came off for a spell against Central Coast - he did get a work out chasing the ball in the City game!

backrowmum

Bob McCowan (2)
What about the boys who DNP as a result of injury or conscious decision?

Was Brendon Paenga-Amosa injured after the CHS trial last week prior to the State Champs?

There are notable others like Jamison Clark and Michael Morgan. I know that Clark played in the CAS v CHS game with Amosa; was he injured as well or was it a conscious decision on his part as well?

I know for a fact that Morgan is injured as he was still in moon boot when he was selected for the NSWCCC U/18's two weeks ago.

I know the rules dispensate for injury but what about conscious decision? I noticed that Cam Orr only took the field on the second day, which I find interesting! What was his situation because he too participated in the CAS v CHS trial. Did someone have a word in his ear perhaps

Bill McLean (32)
A 17 year old ball boy ... .... .... lmao ... ... ... Now I've heard it all ... ... ... lmao!

I do hope they gave the young lad a toffee apple for his trouble ... ... ... Lmao ... ... ... He probably snuck in a few beers from the esky when the team manager wasn't looking ... ... ... Lol

Bill McLean (32)
Not sure you are correct re Cameron Orr - understand he played in one game Saturday morning - saw him on the TV as ballboy for the Sydney & Country game at Concord in the afternoon (perhaps one of his duties as Current Club Captain for West Juniors) - did notice him cramping up on Sunday and came off for a spell against Central Coast - he did get a work out chasing the ball in the City game!

I wasn't at the second day but I don't recall him playing in the first game on the first day!

I must admit I was disappointed with the West performance after the first half and went to watch Norths v Randwick game!

On paper West's really looked the goods, however I did note during that first half that there were three key players missing (and all in key positions too). Orr being one of them!

backrowmum

Bob McCowan (2)
Orr played both days, game against Parramatta and then CC on the Sunday, as noted by MOTH # 70. The kid is West's Junior's Club Captain and apparently most committed to his village club. Not sure what words would have been whispered in his ear, except go and enjoy yourself!:)

W

Wicksdad

Declared interest: I'm a proud Randwick dad who watched the Randwick U17 Boys go through the pool and semi undefeated and then go down gallantly in the Final to a deserving Parramatta.

Given their strong performance I think the selectors should be looking at including a few more Wicks boys in the U17 Sydney team. Most of the comments and team suggestions have at the most two Wicks boys in the run on team suggestion.

For mine:

Nick Koutsoukis should be the Sydney number 2. In the final, Parra did not win one of the Randwick lineouts. Conversely the Wicks jumpers Ryan Powter (8), Tom O'Connor (7) and Zac Wheeler (4) won all of the Parra lineouts bar one (I have watched the video a couple of times now and I'm not sure if it was the terrible conditions that contributed, but both had to contend with it).
Fred Fiala Motu is mentioned in most of the above as he should be.
Jordan Terare (9) was fantastic as was Ben O'Donnell (10)
Zayde Alvaride and Josh Mitchell were very strong in defence the whole comp.

I say lets pick on current form and proven performance, not on "he was in the team last year so must be a start, despite his team not making it to the semis". I agree with RugbyRugby above re the Wests players. How could a fair selection system choose more Wests players than Wicks given the performance over 3 days by Randwick and 2 days by Wests? Lets be fair guys.

I note the teams are still not out on the website.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Newbie in post no 127 was asking about Amosa. Well today he was playing fine and certainly not injured for his school. He said he was never playing at State Champs and was going with the school pathway CHS.

By the way Hills beat Endeavour in Waratah Shield 20 to 10. I will post some observations in the correct area.

R

Rugby Rugby

The Northsouth,Randwick and Warringah coaches must be brilliant to have secured 3 semi-final spots with such average players.

Before the semis Northsouth+Randwick conceded 11+27=38 points.
Thats in 6 games.
Wests conceded 90 in 3 games.
They had the worst for and against of the tournament by a mile.

Logically the team should be mainly composed of the semi finalists. Just by the numbers these 4 teams dominated.

From what I saw - inside backs - Parra. 15 from Eastwood or Randwick. 9 is wide open.Wings - Randwick or Parra. Breakaways - all the top 4 teams were v.close. Parra went for size,lacked some mobility but had somempunishing runners. Warringah good as well - very close match ups here. Line out - Parra not that great in the games i saw - went for a lot more ambitious options then anyone else. they just didn't come off. Saw 2 Randwick games, dont remember them totally dominating the lineout but they were good. Thought they drew were with Northsouth in this area but edged Uni.
Scrum - the best front row was Northsouth or Randwick. But the line out combinations are important if the team has limited training.

I don't think it looks too difficult.

W

Wicksdad

Teams up:
Jason Albert
Joshua Anderson
Cale Angeloni
Eric Aukofolau
Ben Cotton
Tyson Davies
Jack Donlan
Adam Hanigan
Christian Kagassis
Brad Korac
Nicholas Koutsoukis
Elisaia (Jnr) Laga'aia
Puipaa Maa
Jarrod Matairavula
Amanakiola Moala
David Morris
Matthew Murray
Benjamin O'Donnell
Cameron Orr
Alex Pappalardo
Ryan Powter
James Tafatoui
Joshua Taweel
Brent Whicker
Trent Winterstein

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Team is:
J Albert - Parra
J Anderson - Eastwood
C. Angeloni - Parra
E Aukofolau - Nth/Sth
B Cotton - Eastwood
Tyson Davies - Not listed anywhere in the program
J Donlan - Warringah
A Hanigan - Warringah
C Kagassis - Uni
B Korac - Parra
N Koutsoukis - Randwick
Laga-aia - West Harbour
Puipa Maa - Parra
Jarrod Matarvula - Parra
A Moala - West Harbour
D Morris - Nth/Sth
M Murray - Randwick
B O'Donnell - Randwick
C Orr - West Harbour
A Pappalardo - Eastwood
R Powter - Randwick
J Tafatoui - Warringah
J Taweel - West Harbour
B Whicker - Parra
T Winterstein - Parra

There you go. I am not sure about it, but that is what we have.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
My score was 12 from the 23 I named at the start of the tournament. I am still not sure how I feel about this team but I do agree with "Fairpoint" and am surprised Fiala-Motu and Taylor are not in the 25!

Bill McLean (32)
THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AS A SELCTION TOOL!

Given that the team has been announced for the 17's and there is going to be shock horror statements across this thread in the next day or so I thought it would be a poignant time to post my understanding of the SC and its relationship tomthe selection of the SJRU.

In starting off It is commendable to see all the support that our young crop of players are receiving, however with respect to how selections are made there needs to be some clarification.

Firstly, make no mistake that selectors generally have a squad/team pencilled in (emphasis on the word pencilled) before the commencement of the SC. Essentially the coaches/selectors are selecting a team for higher representative honours, and given some of these coaches/selectors often have personal ambitions they will want to field the best team possible!

If a starting point was predicated upon "fielding the best team possible" then you can probably be assured that the same people have inconspicuously visited school and/or club games prior to the SC. In fact personally know of one selector who takes it upon himself ask club coaches who they believe are their best 5 players and he only looks at these players the club coach has nominated.

Please don't be fooled into thinking that the SC is the be all and end all for selecting a SJRU and CJRU team. Selectors and coaches do not evolve in a vacuum; they have generally been around the traps for a long time and know who is who in the zoo!

The SC is a tool that will ultimately confirm or deny a previously pencilled in Lad's ability to perform at a higher level. What the event will also do is toss up a few relative unknowns who play their backsides off to the extent that will now show up on the radar and obviously come into contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.