• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Junior Club Rugby fills an important role in Australia because regular weekend games are only offerred in a very small number of schools, and the majority of schools do not have rugby as an optional activity. The only viable rugby outlet for many kids outside the GPS, CAS, and ISA system (and the majority of teenage boys in Sydney fall into the "outside GPS, CAS and ISA" category) is the Sydney Juniors Village club system.

Much of the initial "development" of the GPS et al rugby rock stars occurs courtesy of the Sydney JRU framework. The "reward" for the Juniors from the Schools is that the Schools lock the vast majority of these boys out of the SJRU U16 and above age groups.
I'm not convinced this is still the case.
If you removed all kids who play Saturday School football, how many are left? I say very very few. this competition in it's current format is no longer relevant.

In terms of the GPS rockstars, I agree that this comp is somewhat a victim of it's own success.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While certain schools have very impressive coaching and development systems down to the E and F age group teams, most focus on the A age group teams only and leave the Ancient History teacher as the reluctantly drafted coach for the 14 D's.

Those potentially late bloomers in the 14 D's can get a decent rugby education and skills development via the Village Club system from a passionate and dedicated volunteer coach, that they would not otherwise receive through the Schols system.

Secondly the Village club model allows kids to play with their local mates they have known and played with from Under 6's, as well as play with and against kids from the different private school sporting associations and public school kids with no viable school rugby option.

There are organisational and structural issues in the club model that needs to be sorted out and reconciled with the Schools model particularly in the senior age groups and with respect to representational teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I understand the ideal of the Village comp. I just believe the reality is something different.
Look at the teams in the GF, most if not all play Schools football(many of them in their Schools 2's & 3's).
It appears to me the rationale supporting the Village structure is keen dads who have been sidelined by the Schools wanting to keep a hand in with their sons Rugby endeavours (not in a bad way) So it is more social than developmental.
The late bloomers in the 14D's get promoted to the 15B's.
Maybe the Village clubs need to tap into the Local Schools who play locally mid week in some way, that may make it relevant again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like your idea of the Village Clubs engaging with Local Schools, but from experience it is very much a one way street with little interest coming from the schools. Hopefully things may change sometime in the future, or my experience may be limited to a specific geographic area.

An added benefit of the Village club model is that it keeps kids in the game for long enough until Colts and Subbies clubs can get their hands on them.

Don't knock the social side of rugby. In many respects that is how our game manages to survive in a saturated and cashed up sports market.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Queensland approach of independently selecting two dedicated QLD teams regardless of the conference of origin of the kids seems to be the most open and transparent. NSW manages to do this at Open (U18) Schools level where NSW I and NSW II are selected with the "leftovers" (not meant in a derogatory way) from all states forming a Combined States selection.

If the intention is to hold an Australian U17 championship tournament then why select one just team from NSW (and then restrict participation in that one NSW team to the playing stock from the JRU numbers competition only). Be fair dinkm about it and sent two teams and throw the "leftovers" into the kitty for possible selection into a Combined States Barbarians team. If a limited selection is going to represent their "conference" against their respective QLD "conference" and ACT, VIC and WA "conferences" then don't market it as the Australian Championship and then further expect all kids playing rugby to subsidise it.

The reason why they seect NSW 1 and 2 at opens is because there is no NSW Juniors at U18. The selection process for Opens is the NSW Schools Tournament where the Associations rep sides play (GPS, CAS,ISA, CCC, CHS, AICES and NSW Country Schools).

As for a National U17 Championship I havent heard of any proposal for this. In 2008 the Junior matches between NSW and Qld were revived after they had ceased for a while. The matches were for the U15 and U17 sides and NSW were successful in both games. As warm ups to the interstate games a game was played between NSW and ACT Juniors at this age. The matches were organised by the Junior Associations of both states and the states schools associations have had no role in the games.

These matches have been played every year since at Ballymore (I think). This year an Under 19 game is also to be played. At no time have these games been promoted as a National Championship or has an Under 15 and/or Under 17 National title been mooted.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know in the past that there has been no mention of a National Championship and or title, and the model you have described above I wholeheartedly support. Let sleeping dogs lie, I say.

See posts #347, #349 and #350 back on page 18 of this thread. I too have heard whispers of delusions of granduer from usually reliable snouts about AJRU and National Championships independent of those posters from back on page 18.

Bill McLean (32)
Gentlemen let me present to you what happened in league this year.

The NSWRL (the peak body in NSW) selected an U/17 team to play the touring English U/18's. Initially selected in this team were Moeroa and Milne (both Dual Coders).

Inelligible for selection were lads who were selected in the Australian Schoolboys team (that were U/17's - there were only 2 anyway). The Aus Schoolboys were playing two tests against the English.

Now Moeroa and Milne did not play club league this year, but were selected because they were registered players with the NSWRL by virtue of their SG Ball association.

Now why can't the peak body of rugby in NSW the NSWRU act in the same manner? I remember a time when they used to select junior teams, in fact a good mate of mine was selected in the U/19's in the early 90's.

In league the ASSRL (with QSSRL, NSWCCC, NSWCHS, NSWCIS etc) operate in copoperation with the NSWRL and QLDRL but each maintains it's autonomy and prestige. For example the NSWRL and QLDRL select U16, U18 and U20 teams prior to the school rep season, however when they conflict there is a deferral of one to the other as shown above with the U/17 NSWRL team.

Now hard would it be for the NSWRU to take back control and administer the junior system as far as representative selections. At the very least it would give integrity to representing the NSWRU! It seems to work in league, and I believe the model is somewhat transportable.

Thoughts?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Other threads record the NSW vs ACT results played yesterday were:

ACT a bit underdone due to transport issues apparently with the U15's basically playing almost straight off the bus.

NSW U15 beat ACT U15 66 - 0.
Sydney JRU U16 beat ACTU16 36 - 0.

No scores from U17 match. Nothing on NSW Juniors Web site yet.

C

Casnovian

Other threads record the NSW vs ACT results played yesterday were:

ACT a bit underdone due to transport issues apparently with the U15's basically playing almost straight off the bus.

NSW U15 beat ACT U15 66 - 0.
Sydney JRU U16 beat ACTU16 36 - 0.

No scores from U17 match. Nothing on NSW Juniors Web site yet.

Under 17s started off with a charge down against them. ACT scored first points for the day. Wind sent the ball all over the place. Brandon (sorry don't know how to spell his last name) - No 7 for NSW - played a blinder (long black hair - was in CHS team and NSW 2) . Very strong runs. Cam Orr (No 17) - a late call up - also ran the ball very well - quite a few hit ups - rewarded with two meat pies in the first half. NSW Number 10 (sorry no name - known as a "leaguie") directed the traffic very well.
NSW shook off a number of fundamental ball handling errors in the first twenty minutes and the back line eventually got into full gear.
Not sure of the exact score at the end. 65 to 15 I think. (No score board either).
Congratulations to Southern District First Grade (Mad Monday) - who provided the music and half time entertainment - have to say very well behaved and did themselves proud!

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Under 17s started off with a charge down against them. ACT scored first points for the day. Wind sent the ball all over the place. Brandon (sorry don't know how to spell his last name) - No 7 for NSW - played a blinder (long black hair - was in CHS team and NSW 2) . Very strong runs. Cam Orr (No 17) - a late call up - also ran the ball very well - quite a few hit ups - rewarded with two meat pies in the first half. NSW Number 10 (sorry no name - known as a "leaguie") directed the traffic very well.
NSW shook off a number of fundamental ball handling errors in the first twenty minutes and the back line eventually got into full gear.
Not sure of the exact score at the end. 65 to 15 I think. (No score board either).
Congratulations to Southern District First Grade (Mad Monday) - who provided the music and half time entertainment - have to say very well behaved and did themselves proud!
agree with comments on "Mad Monday". Added to the occasion and knew how to support the players on the paddock well. A credit to themselves and Southern Districts.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
i saw the u17's team on SS grand final day, can anyone tell me wether this team is particularly smaller in size than past years?? i swear the nsw team in my year was massive compared to this lot

Damo123

Frank Row (1)
pool A Pool B Pool C​
Northern Suburbs Gordon Southern Districts​

Hunter Manly ACT Brumbies​

Central West Eastwood Central Coast​

Penrith Wests Warringah​

Note: Highest qualifier determined by total comp​
points. If equal then points differential and if still​
equal then by most tries scored.​

The Under 16s pools

Any results from today's qtr and semi finals for U16s?

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
The players selected are "leftovers"
There are players in this squad who did not make their School 1st's.
It is a good demonstration of the strength in Village Rugby at this age.

THE LEFTOVERS RUGBY CLUB

sorry Banjo Patterson

It was somewhere in the suburbs, and in the land of rock and scrub,
That they formed an institution called the Leftovers Rugby Club.
They were long and wiry natives of the suburban countryside,
And a maul was never formed that the leftovers couldn't drive;
But their style of playing rugby was irregular and rash-
They had mighty little science, but a mighty lot of dash:
And they played on rugby ovals that were irregular and rough,
And they used to practice scrumming against cattle in the scrub:
They were demons, were the members of the Leftovers Rugby Club.

It was somewhere down the country, in a city's smoke and steam,
That a rugby club existed, called the Private Rugby Team.
As a social institution 'twas a marvellous success,
For its’ members were distinguished by exclusiveness and dress.
They had natty little passes that were nice, and flat, and sleek,
For their cultivated owners practiced them four times every week.
So they started up the country in pursuit of sport and fame,
For they meant to show the Leftovers how they ought to play the game;
And they took their valets with them - just to give their boots a rub
\Ere they started operations on the Leftovers Rugby Club.

Now my readers can imagine how the contest ebbed and flowed,
When the Leftover boys got going it was time to clear the road;
And the game was so terrific that ere half the time was gone
A spectator's leg was broken - just from merely looking on.
For they tackled one another till the ground was strewn with dead,
While the score was kept so even that they neither got ahead.
And the Private Rugby captain, when he tumbled off to die,
Was the last surviving player - so the game was called a tie.

Then the captain of the Leftovers raised him slowly from the ground,
Though his wounds were mostly mortal, yet he fiercely gazed around;
There was no one to oppose him - all the rest were in a trance,
So he gathered up the football for his last expiring chance,
For he meant to make an effort to get victory to his side;
So he struck at goal - and missed it - then he tumbled off and died.

By the old Campaspe river, where the bullshit covers grass,
There's a row of little gravestones that the rahrahs never pass,
For they bear a crude inscription saying, "Stranger, drop a tear,
For the Private Rugby players and the Leftover boys lie here."
And on misty moonlit evenings, while the dingoes howl around,
You can see their shadows flitting down that phantom rugby ground;
You can hear the loud collisions as the opposing players meet,
And the battle of the forward packs, and the flying wingers feet,
Till the terrified spectator rides like blazes to the pub -

He's been haunted by the spectres of the Leftovers Rugby Club.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Both SJRU and NSWJRU look to have their coaching panels appointed by the start of the season. The successful candidates have no affiliation with the age group, are L2 qualified and many come with a 'coaching team'.

In respect to selectors the 'panel' implemented this year comprised of the coach of the team being selected for plus the coach of the next higher team. For example, the SJRU U15 coach + the NSW U15 coach would be selecting the Sydney U15 team. In most cases another selector and/or the Rep Convenor oversaw the process with some input if requested.

Requests for nominations usually are emailed to Club Presidents and broadcast generally around Jan/Feb each year. Good luck.
The excellent work done in establishing some decent protocols was all thrown out in 2013 due to Hon Appt naivety. The appointments were left to 3 weeks before State Champs and many rep teams had no one as all the good candidates had 'moved on'.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Both SJRU and NSWJRU look to have their coaching panels appointed by the start of the season. The successful candidates have no affiliation with the age group, are L2 qualified and many come with a 'coaching team'.

In respect to selectors the 'panel' implemented this year comprised of the coach of the team being selected for plus the coach of the next higher team. For example, the SJRU U15 coach + the NSW U15 coach would be selecting the Sydney U15 team. In most cases another selector and/or the Rep Convenor oversaw the process with some input if requested.

Requests for nominations usually are emailed to Club Presidents and broadcast generally around Jan/Feb each year. Good luck.

Rumble

Bob McCowan (2)
I have a concern that village clubs are not encouraging boys to love rugby and feel a sense of pride in being a member of their club. Boys are losing heart and interest at about the age of 14/15 because the clubs are intent on winning at all cost and are not giving every boys who is a member of the age group a chance to play in Sunday games.

Club are meant to be there to improve the game of boys who are not receiving A team coaching at school. Is this happening?????

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The excellent work done in establishing some decent protocols was all thrown out in 2013 due to Hon Appt naivety. The appointments were left to 3 weeks before State Champs and many rep teams had no one as all the good candidates had 'moved on'.

Promoting Gus G upstairs to NSW JRU may not have been such a wise move given the can of worms that Rep Selection appears to have become this year.

I think there has also been a fair few of the old guard committee members move on recently as well. While Committee and executive turnover is healthy, some of these these gnarly individuals used to keep the more "adventurous" aspirations and intentions of the executive in check.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have a concern that village clubs are not encouraging boys to love rugby and feel a sense of pride in being a member of their club. Boys are losing heart and interest at about the age of 14/15 because the clubs are intent on winning at all cost and are not giving every boys who is a member of the age group a chance to play in Sunday games.

Club are meant to be there to improve the game of boys who are not receiving A team coaching at school. Is this happening?????

It happens in some clubs, but very much depends on the people coaching each age group! Some coaches do a great job, others appear to think they are there to win a Super Rugby tournament! Its the boys in teams with these sorts of coaches that give it in about 14/15. If the coaching has been all about enjoying the game and improving your skills then there's a much better chance of the boys staying in club rugby.
My boys have been in teams with coaches with this attitude and both played up to and including U16s and would have played longer if there had been enough to play with (unfortunately the Private school edict of you shall not play club while playing Opens" kicked in then)

Status
Not open for further replies.