• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Particularly when it came to SJC, since in your time you were privileged to see them beaten twice by the black and gold. Only happened once in my time and I wasn't watching.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... I do remember one particular victory by SGS over SJC 1sts in, I think, 1980 or 79, when SGS won at Boronia Park by 1 point with a field goal on the full-time hooter. From roaring crowd to stunned silence. Ah the memories. (I was a spectator, btw).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
. I do remember one particular victory by SGS over SJC 1sts in, I think, 1980 or 79, when SGS won at Boronia Park by 1 point with a field goal on the full-time hooter. From roaring crowd to stunned silence. Ah the memories. (I was a spectator, btw).
That was 80.
Weren't you there in 78 - didn't need any last minute heroics that day

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I note with some amusement that 10to12 has posted "to the victor goes the spoils" on another thread about the seemingly disproportionate number of Illawarra U17 lads in the Country U17 team, particularly when they only won the Final by 3 points over Central Coast.

Manly win the State Championships and as a reward [10to12 "victory spoils"] (neglecting the theft of phones and cash from the change sheds) they get 10 boys nominated to trial for slots in the City team.

Sorry Hugh only just caught up with this.
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek and what I have often observed in selections over the years.

The Manly 17s was a boy led team, put together via their friendships and facebook associations. As a result when it got to the selection table there was no high powered manager rooting for them making sure they got all the boys selected. The boys had all moved on to have a beer or hot bath while the regional powerbrokers were doing their thing.
The whole 17 Manly story is what I love about rugby.The boys only wanted to play rugby, I'm not sure they were thinking about the next level selections when they put the team together

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I note with some amusement that 10to12 has posted "to the victor goes the spoils" on another thread about the seemingly disproportionate number of Illawarra U17 lads in the Country U17 team, particularly when they only won the Final by 3 points over Central Coast.

Manly win the State Championships and as a reward [10to12 "victory spoils"] (neglecting the theft of phones and cash from the change sheds) they get 10 boys nominated to trial for slots in the City team.

Sorry Hugh only just caught up with this.
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek and what I have often observed in selections over the years.

The Manly 17s was a boy led team, put together via their friendships and facebook associations. As a result when it got to the selection table there was no high powered manager rooting for them making sure they got all the boys selected. The boys had all moved on to have a beer or hot bath while the regional powerbrokers were doing their thing.
The whole 17 Manly story is what I love about rugby.The boys only wanted to play rugby, I'm not sure they were thinking about the next level selections when they put the team together

unfortunate for the boys, but love the fact that they didn't have a manager pushing their case. When I played it was the exact opposite, all the boys from northern zone teams got a leg up from their managers and over-bearing parents...good to see some north shore teams don't adhere to that sort of behaviour

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
If the dates from Sydney Rugby tragic's mate is correct, this is too good to be true and is now approaching the Keystone Cops).
4. Trial Match now on Saturday 29 June. - Thursday night version.

How many more variations will we see in this little soap opera before it reaches its conclusion?

Credibility??

I heard on the grape vine the head coach of the Sydney team is overseas, and was unable to attend the vital trial match yesterday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^That really is some icing on the cake. How many more rings does this circus have?

Can it get better?

Apparently the boys were told that they would be dropped if they did not attend this farce in the rain and mud. Yet the Coach (and alleged head selector) isn't there to see if all the boys turn up.

A snout tells me that one of the Hobbits the trial was specifically run for, did not play, yet there were several other Hobbits at the trial who were not nominated on the 41 person train on squad.

Did the boys in the Schools Opens tournament turn up and play, or will the overseas coach drop them?

There is an email doing the rounds about this whole farce that has been now been forwarded and cc'ed many times to who knows how many people. An unsolicited copy lobbed up in my email inbox on the 4th forwarding/copying.

To summarise, Randwick are not happy with their boys treatment in the 2012 U16's and are confused that there seems to be a different set of rules for the Under 17's.

Sydney Juniors response is rather wet blanket - "before my time, so we can't do anything..." and "..we only want to have the best boys represent Juniors..."

The tone of the original writer suggests that the issue will be elevated. They suggest that they will be lobbying NSW RU and ARU. The address list on the email now includes some fairly well connected and prominent rugby people. One of my mates has talked to me about it and he wasn't on the list of Addressees on my email, so it is clearly being rather widely circulated.

I suspect we haven't seen the end of this little episode by a long way.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Might as well send the surrender note for the Under 17's to NSW Country Juniors now.

..... on that note, has anyone seen a team list for the Sydney squad, reserves and shadows - to play country - posted up anywhere yet? Presumed it would be out by tonight, given the final trial was yesterday and there's been lots of time to digest performances from the State cup weekend (unless that doesn't count now...). Perhaps international time zones are hindering final discussions ?!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And the next chapter in this farce, just when you thought it couldn't get any better is that the Under 17's are playing on Thursday Night at North Sydney Oval.

I reckon there will be a surprise training by skype from an overseas coach (isn't that how the Wobs kicking coach works?). This training will be on an oval closed by council but at a distant location where you have to commute at the same time as the other million lemmings from the CBD.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
... on that note, has anyone seen a team list for the Sydney squad, reserves and shadows - to play country - posted up anywhere yet? Presumed it would be out by tonight, given the final trial was yesterday and there's been lots of time to digest performances from the State cup weekend (unless that doesn't count now.). Perhaps international time zones are hindering final discussions ?!

These clearly don't count. With the Hobbit presence growing exponentially, 0 at State Champs, 2 in the Train on Squad, 4 at the "must attend" trail (3 playing, 1 too tired) , my money is that there will be 8 of them in the final Squad.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
And some wonder why so many kids become disillusioned. This is farce of the the highest order. Monty Python-esque.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe I have given too much credit for Juniors organisational skills or lack thereof. I have just reread the Classic Wallabies thread and noted that as late as 13 June, the 5:00 game on Thursday night was a parliamentary XV vs the King Penguins. Somehow between then and now this fixture has morphed into a Sydney v Country Under 17 fixture.

Typical of Parliamentarians to let us down.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This web page (from ARU from last week) suggests that all games at National Schoolboys arfe at Riverview:
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/9670/Default.aspx

Aust Schools web site from 22 may says similar:
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=200855

Waratahs web site from 15 May says otherwise:
http://www.waratahs.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/9157/Default.aspx
as does this one from ARU
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/9147/Default.aspx

take your pick. Who do you trust ?
There is no details on the undercard that I could see on the ticketmaster website.
Which event is neing organised by Juniors?
What would the unpaid Interns at ARU know?

I'm now not even sure if there will be a game between the Sydney U17's vs Country.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Obviously some awesome skills were on display at Grantham. or are they checking on the availability of more boys to parachute into the squad?

Guess the Manly boys played OK again. Here is a hint to the selectors/coaches on trial etiquette to not have to select players you don't want. Make them play them out of position. Get a #10 aspirant to play 12 or 15. Put good #8's as second rowers. A good half-back you don't want to show up your pre-selected boy? Make him play #10. Start them on the bench, so you can run them on in the side that is going backwards and struggling. Simple really.

Why am I not surprised that there has been yet another deadline missed? It wouldn't be right if they actually did what they say what they intended to do.

When is the Sydney v Country game? Will the squad be finalised by then?

The NSW Country people must be really enjoing this Soap Opera.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney Under 17 Squad finally announced.
Congratulations to all the boys.
Lochie ADAIR, Wests
Austin BLACK, Wests
Lachlan BURLAND, Eastwood
Mitchell CALDWELL, Eastwood
Ben CRERAR, Manly
William CRONIN, Manly
Conor DAVIDSON, Manly
Andrew DAVIES, Warringah
Niko FIAPULENIKO, Eastwood
Ben FONTAINE, Warringah
Thomas HALL, Eastwood
Robert HILL , Warringah
Harrison LOWE, Manly
Joshua LYNCH, Eastwood
Tully MACPHERSON, Penrith
Joshua MARTIN, Penrith
Declan MOORE, Manly
Scott MORAN, Manly
Nareg NAZARIAN, Eastwood
Nick NEWMAN, Manly
Lucas PRICE, Warringah
Scott WILLIAMS, Manly
Rohan ZEBIB, Eastwood

For those who like to count things:
Manly 8
Eastwood 7
Warringah 4
Penrith 2
Wests 2

One has to ask was all the drama (and fun for this old cynic) worth it.

I still suspect that there will be repercharges.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Good to see the heritage of some of these lads. Of particular note are the ones who played in the NSW U18s schools trials last month and missed out on further schools selection.

1. Lochie Adair, West Harbour (2012: NZ)
2. William Cronin, Manly (2012: BB)
3. Connor Davidson, Manly (2013: ISA II, 2012: NSW Schools)
4. Austin Black, West Harbour (2012: WZ, Syd 16s)
5. Scott Williams, Manly
6. Rohan Zebib, Eastwood (2013: AICES, 2012: WZ)
7. Mitchell Caldwell, Eastwood
8. Declan Moore, Manly (2013: ISA I, 2012: BB, NSW Schools)
9. Josh Lynch, Eastwood (2012: WZ)
10. Ben Crerar, Manly (2013: CHS II, 2012: SZ, NSW Schools)
11. Nico Fiapuleniko, Eastwood (2013: CCC, 2012: WZ, Syd 16s)
12. Ben Fontaine, Warringah (2013: ISA II)
13. Lachlan Burland, Eastwood (2012: WZ, Syd 16s)
14. Harrison Lowe, Manly
15. Thomas Hall, Eastwood
16. Nareg Nazarian, Eastwood
17. Robert Hill, Warringah
18. Nick Newman, Manly
19. Tully Macpherson, Penrith
20. Scott Moran, Manly
21. Andrew Davies, Warringah
22. Joshua Martin, Penrith
23. Lucas Price, Warringah

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm really chuffed to see an AICES boy selected.

We need to get more boys from AICES involved in club Footy.

To the list above add Connor Davidson ISA II, and note that Ben Fontaine was selected for ISA II but replaced for the Schools trials due to copping a nasty injury at State Champs.

I think there should be a #22 Joshua Martin Penrith on your list as well.

Are those your guesses as to the starting jumper numbers or do you have some inside information?

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
Yuk there's that stench of politics/ bias/favouritism
looking at the squad it is a joke along with
the full trial / selection scenario .
No Southd boys which it was set up for.
Certain 16yr boy playing 1st grade colts ,
Playing rather well & holding his own at that level
can't get a place in the 28 for the u-17s
Apparently played well at both 9 & 10 in the trial .
We welcome him back to country next yr if he wants .

Status
Not open for further replies.