• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Perhaps take some time to read the many GGR pages of views on this issue. I think it reduces down to nepotism destroys the fabric of rugby and any other team sport which purports to reward hard work and playing by the rules. It's not a level playing field if it runs up Victoria Road.

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
Perhaps take some time to read the many GGR pages of views on this issue. I think it reduces down to nepotism destroys the fabric of rugby and any other team sport which purports to reward hard work and playing by the rules. It's not a level playing field if it runs up Victoria Road.

It's not a even playing field If daddy keeps pushing Little Jonny's case either. It's clear the answer to my question is yes the scots boy is in direct competition with little johhny. Grow up and let them play. They can't re write your failed ambitions.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Clearly I have to. Are you denying one of the scots boys you mentioned is not in direct competition with your son for a Sydney position?? At least be honest
You keep missing the point which is outlined in #242.

To avoid the tedium, I don't think any of the Scots boys are in serious contention for any Sydney positions. One made the Syd bench last year, did not produce and is on MSZ bench this year. The other 2 were simply not as good as the alternatives last year and have become less so as a result of not playing regular high level rugby. None should be playing at Regionals as they are taking spots which others have worked hard to get a shot at.

As a very remote aside, none of the Scots 3 plays in the same position as my son. That said, he would not be so disadvantaged by missing out as the school pathways is available to him. The same cannot be said for a number of his club and zone team mates (and many more of the MSZ squad I'd wager) for whom the SJRU rep pathway is it. They have earned the right to be on it whereas the Scots boys have been given a free ride. I can't see how that is ethically defensible.

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
You keep missing the point which is outlined in #242.

To avoid the tedium, I don't think any of the Scots boys are in serious contention for any Sydney positions. One made the Syd bench last year, did not produce and is on MSZ bench this year. The other 2 were simply not as good as the alternatives last year and have become less so as a result of not playing regular high level rugby. None should be playing at Regionals as they are taking spots which others have worked hard to get a shot at.

As a very remote aside, none of the Scots 3 plays in the same position as my son. That said, he would not be so disadvantaged by missing out as the school pathways is available to him. The same cannot be said for a number of his club and zone team mates (and many more of the MSZ squad I'd wager) for whom the SJRU rep pathway is it.

Well at least your dream stays alive. Side note he does play in the centres so don't be perdantic between inside or outside. Still say he doesn't compete against your son??

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well at least your dream stays alive. Side note he does play in the centres so don't be perdantic between inside or outside. Still say he doesn't compete against your son??

Whatever the history between you and CatchnPass, it's irrelevant to the issue here. Whether the boys concerned compete against his son or not, it does not make what has occurred any less wrong.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Clearly I have to. Are you denying one of the scots boys you mentioned is not in direct competition with your son for a Sydney position?? At least be honest

well none of mine are in competition with any of theirs - and Ive taken up the cudgels (as Rex Mossop would have said) because none of my family are dependent on the SJRU/NSWJRU (not that it stopped me when they were :confused:).
This is the future and we keep sending the message that newcomers need not apply.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Something needs to be done to reinvigorate Junior Club rugby in Sydney and NSW Country. ARU needs to be involved somehow. The Wallabies winning more regularly would help with that reinvigoration enormously.

Unfortunately HJ, it's often the SJRU & NSWJRU that are hindering attempts to reinvigorate junior club rugby - as the current discussion involving Souths 15s shows. As the ARU is comprised of people cut from the same cloth as NSWRU, NSWJRU & SJRU, I don't really see how their involvment is going to change much at all - noting the the Chairman and the CEO have a view of Sydney rugby shaped by Mosman juniors, Shore & Sydney Uni.

EDIT: That the Scots/Glengary exemption is written into their by-laws says a lot.

Bend Bind and Drive!!

Bob McCowan (2)
^^^^^I agree MSZ did play poorly but still managed to get a win and unlucky not to knock over the other country side as well so we'll take that. Made to many mistakes against the westies and did struggle against the fresh westie forward pack. I saw the westies did get tired as the day went by. Another day tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Is the Sydney team looking any clearer after todays efforts to you experts?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I thought Kyle Devine did a good job for MSZ and must be a show for Sydney team.

Agree with HW that BaaBaas were probably best team, as distinct from group of individuals, on ground, and were unlucky not to beat MNZ who played a lot of one out rugby (as did most others).

You can't put old heads on new shoulders, but selectors are presumably already confident that most u15 players at this level can take a pass one off the ruck, run it into contact and recycle. Its the ability to add that something extra as a team player - the deft offload, the rallying clean out or turnover, the link b/w half and backline, the pass and loop etc that is likely to get you noticed. There was not a lot of that in evidence today, though i admired the never say die spirit of both of the Country teams. The Black team's joy in taking 2 tries off the MNZ side when 5 tries to nil down at halftime, and then declaring loudly, "they've got nothing", as they raced back for the kickoff, is what rugby is all about.

In any event, the Syd team gets announced immediately following the final game tmrw and so, presumably, is already pencilled in with only a few Q marks to be resolved during the final 2 matches. Good luck to all who have participated.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
IS, i agree that there can be many factors impacting selection and not all of them have to do with current form, with many spelled out over the 35 pages of GGR you linked to. Nonetheless, the Syd U15s coaching team are pretty hard-headed blokes who seem very clear on what they want to achieve - winning games of rugby starting with Syd v Country in a few weeks time. I'm not close enough to the selection process to say whether this cohort will get all of the boys they want, but I'm pretty confident that what they do want are the players most likely to achieve those victories and that assessment would seem likely to be heavily influenced by how boys performed at JSC and Regionals. That's not to suggest that reputation/how players performed for that coaching group in 2014 won't come into it. I suspect most of the population has an inherent if subconcious bias in favour of the known and proven over the more speculative.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Syd u15s have been selected. Unfortunately, the list was read out and is yet to be published, so I can't provide a link or recite all of the names. There were some surprise omissions, and 8 new faces this year, but I think it's a team largely representative of form displayed over both weekends. 11 MNZ, 6 Baabaas, 5 MWZ, 1 MSZ.

The other positive is that the 3 players who should never have been at SJCs or Regionals are going no further.

Congratulations to all of the boys selected, who have toiled hard at Club level all season to earn the opportunity. Commiserations to those club players who missed out, but it's only the opinion of one group of selectors and, if you have talent and keep working, there will be other opportunities.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
I think I have marked down the team correctly but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. There will definitely be some disappointed and unlucky boys tonight but overall I think the selectors did a good job. Congratulations to the boys who have made it.

Forwards:
Will McLennan MNZ #1
Kyle Devine MSZ #2
Angus Bell MNZ #3
Sam Lock Barbarians #3
Netane Talanoa MWZ #1
Tangi Mafi MWZ #2-new
Liam Heka MWZ #3-new
Nathaniel Pannozo MNZ#4
Jordan Brown MNZ #5-new
Liam Jansen Barbarians #5-new
Luke Reimer MNZ #6
Spencer Leniu MWZ #6-new
Daniel Darwall Barbarians #20-new
Keith Titmuss MNZ #8
Musika Loto'anui MWZ #8

Backs:
David Tejcek MNZ #9
Matt Dutallis MNZ #11-new
Dominic Easy MNZ #12
Nathanael Endemann MNZ #13
Tom Cameron MNZ #14
Vincent Creagh Barbarians #15-new
Matt Minouge Barbarians #10-new
Jack Walsh Barbarians #23-new

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Good job KB (Kurtley Beale). Apart from missing Ewan Mawson, BaaBaas #12 (I'm not sure who comes off your list) I think you may have it. I had thought the team manager said 8 new faces but, as you point out, it appears to be 10 - Spencer Leniu was in Syd squad last year, but Sam Lock is new (see 2014 squad at #39 in this thread). Also, Netane played for country last year, so he is new to Syd, making it 11 debutants to join the 12 players returning from 2014. Huge achievement for Darwall and Walsh to make it from BaaBaas bench.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Good job KB (Kurtley Beale). Apart from missing Ewan Mawson, BaaBaas #12 (I'm not sure who comes off your list) I think you may have it. I had thought the team manager said 8 new faces but, as you point out, it appears to be 10 - Spencer Leniu was in Syd squad last year, but Sam Lock is new (see 2014 squad at #39 in this thread). Also, Netane played for country last year, so he is new to Syd, making it 11 debutants to join the 12 players returning from 2014. Huge achievement for Darwall and Walsh to make it from BaaBaas bench.

I'm not exactly sure if Talanoa actually made the side... Was just a punt at that face and I don't think Darwall actually played much at state champs due to injury, he would have been starting for his zone in my opinion if he played more but Walsh definitely proved he was a quality player when he has a better team around him

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)

Congratulations to all the boys selected but in truth the standard of rugby was very poor across the board ,with only mnz having any kind of structure .

Status
Not open for further replies.