• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Would anyone have any scoring details? I was hoping for details in this morning's SMH. I was, for the Herald's Rugby coverage, yet again sadly let down.

T

TigersFan5

Would anyone have any scoring details? I was hoping for details in this morning's SMH. I was, for the Herald's Rugby coverage, yet again sadly let down.

I know is that GPS 2's won, and GPS 1's won 34-19

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Guys, just a heads up- please don't quote long posts in full, as it clogs up the thread and looks ugly. Especially those by Lee and Baldingwingforward on this board. Either cut it down to just the point/player you are responding to, or just preface your remarks with "Lee/BWF/whoever, I actually think that...". We will know what you are referring to.

K

KeenEye

I thought Kennedy (CAS 7) was outstanding in a beaten team, along with Lawley (CAS 1). But Stewart (GPS 12) was a stand out for me.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Lee(& others)

I was stirring the pot with my initial comments last night however I am still reasonably certain that NSW teams will not be GPS dominated as some previous observers have imagined.
Lee, your review was astute(as usual) but I think a few of the other CAS boys deserved a mention.
CAS performance was definitely a step-up from their outing against CHS @ Cranbrook. A major reason was the change in the front row- Lawley is technically very good and he had a strong game last night. Talakai was taken off @ half-time(match fitness) but scrummaged strongly. Cockinos had some good moments in 2nd half-interesting the props switched sides towards end of game.
Thought the Trinity 5, Orr had a similar strong game as he did against CHS.
Another plus for the CAS pack was the inclusion of a fresh No.6 Bursle(playing in jersey 17). He had been in CAS s against CHS but then played about 45 minutes in CAS 1s following early injury. He had a couple of strong runs last night and his tackling is lethal.
IMO the Trinity 10, Debreczeni tries to do too much but he is a big strong boy.
As stated previously Scarano was probably pick of the other backs- he runs a nice angle, but size probably counts against him.

Should be some interesting games @ Curragul on Friday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Another plus for the CAS pack was the inclusion of a fresh No.6 Bursle(playing in jersey 17). He had been in CAS s against CHS but then played about 45 minutes in CAS 1s following early injury. He had a couple of strong runs last night and his tackling is lethal.
IMO the Trinity 10, Debreczeni tries to do too much but he is a big strong boy.

Ah, I was going to mention Bursle but I didn't know what his name was and by the time I took notice of him I thought the original 6 had been replaced. Then I forgot to mention him anyway (also the Shore winger in the IIIs mentioned by baldy). He's a goer.

Yeah 10. Debreczeni: as I wrote about him after the CHS game: he fiddles around too much sometimes when a timely pass would be better. He'll get sorted out in Colts though and is still a chance for a NSW bench spot.

Joe Mac and Elfster

The results were:

GPS IIIs 41 - CHS IIIs 0
GPS IIs 27 - CAS IIs 0
GPS Is 34 - CAS Is 19

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
[Le Lievre] is still probably the front runner for NSW Ones, though it will be interesting on Friday to see the comparison with CHS fullback Gutherson, who rocked against a tired ISA team last Sunday.

Query - does Gutherson ever play on the wing?

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No mention of the CAS 2nd rower from Trinity, Harrison Orr. Surely he is in the mix he has been exceptional in both CAS games.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Could be. He took my eye more at Cranbrook than last night but that probably has more to do with my watching than his playing.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Could be. He took my eye more at Cranbrook than last night but that probably has more to do with my watching than his playing.

Sorry, The Chosen did mention Orr from Trinity in his comments. Agree with everyone's comments regarding Lawley. He was exceptional.

K

KeenEye

Absolutely in relation to Debreczeni. Very disappointing. I felt he could have done so much more last night. Also very lazy with some of his kicks for touch.

N

no_name12

from the matches played everyone has trialed so i'm putting up a possible first XV:

1. Ben Lawley (CAS)
2. Up for grabs. (hav'nt been any that stand out)
3. Alan Allalatoa (GPS)
4. Michael Kovacic (GPS)
5. Harrison Orr/Kurtis Lecki (CAS/ISA)
6. Rhys Dombkins (ISA)
7. Gordon Broom (CHS) note that Jack Walters is right on his heels
8. Michael Wells (GPS)
9. Wlado Wessels (CHS)
10. Jack Debricini (CAS)
11. Nathan Roye (GPS)
12. JJ Purcell (ISA) This block gives 100% all day
13. Jim Stewart (GPS)
14. Sia Tanginoa (CHS)
15. Adam Gutherson (CHS)

The bench would include: Connor Firth, Kalepi Lao, Josh Calgano, Fabian Natoli, and whoever else if anyone would like to elaberate further.

NSW 2
1. Ezra (GPS)
2. Alex Batho (CHS)
3. Talaki (CAS)
4. Harry Rouke (GPS)
5. Tom Vassen (CHS
6. Will Miller (GPS)
7. Jack Wlaters (GPS)
8. Pat Sio (CAS)
9. Jock Merriman (GPS)
10. Not really sureto be ohnest no one else has really caugh my eye
11. ?????
12. Alex Northam (CHS)
13. Brogan Roods
14. ??????
15. Le Livre

Thoughts?

T

T.Rugby

from the matches played everyone has trialed so i'm putting up a possible first XV:

6. Will Miller (GPS)
7. Jack Wlaters (GPS)
8. Pat Sio (CAS)
9. Jock Merriman (GPS)
10. Not really sureto be ohnest no one else has really caugh my eye
11. ?????
12. Alex Northam (CHS)
13. Brogan Roods
14. ??????
15. Le Livre

Thoughts?

I'd have Fraser Bursle (CAS) over Pat Sio any day. He may not have the same bulkiness as sio, but hes good in lineouts and gives 100%.

Also this might be a stupid question, but is there any chance Cam Clark might be selected (if fit) for one of the winger positions? I know it would be based purely on reputation as he hasn't played much footy this year but he is definitely a player to look out for in the future, and if the reason for schoolboys is developing the next generation of super 15/wallaby rugby players then i think he should be there.

L

LucyMiller

11. ?????
12. Alex Northam (CHS)
13. Brogan Roods
14. ??????
15. Le Livre

I thought Kelleway the 14 for GPS 1s had a strong game. Perhaps he could take one of those winger spots in NSW 2s. Although he is only 16 so could be a bit early???

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
noname
front row for NSW 2, Talakai has played little to no footy this year, yet starting in 2s... i think he might get put to the bench and move Batho over, as wouldnt you select him as his prefered position at prop?

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
I'd have Fraser Bursle (CAS) over Pat Sio any day. He may not have the same bulkiness as sio, but hes good in lineouts and gives 100%.

Also this might be a stupid question, but is there any chance Cam Clark might be selected (if fit) for one of the winger positions? I know it would be based purely on reputation as he hasn't played much footy this year but he is definitely a player to look out for in the future, and if the reason for schoolboys is developing the next generation of super 15/wallaby rugby players then i think he should be there.

Noticed Cameron watching the play yesterday afternoon/evening & so I asked a couple of Knox `insiders' on possibility of play this season.
Their understanding is that he has a nerve problem in neck/upper back area and it is highly unlikely he will play at all this season.
Very sad- he certainly would have added spark to CAS backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom