• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
No 9, I thought these were trials for NSW opens? It is not about point scoring between associations. It's about seeing which individuals go on to the next level.
How about instead of getting Oakhill to play in ISA jumpers, the kids that played the best at the ISA trials keep playing.
Why would you sabotage last years NSW1's 12 by playing him out of position to accommodate an Oakhill kid that wasn't even there on Sunday?
BTW I thought Broomes 2nd try was an example of a beautifully run line, impeccable timed.

I'm sorry for your misinterpretation of my suggested changes.Yes they are trials, but as a supporter of ISA and rugby in general I would prefer to see the best players in form going head to head with the best from other associations as a truer indication of who actually is the best in that position and not see other associations lay claim to positions courtesy of another associations ineptitude in selecting a competetive side that would enable each individual to showcase his skills at a higher level. Congratulations to Mr Broome for his running lines but its not beyond expectation that a pair of centres could at least get a hand on him as he ghosted past with even a partial reading of the attack. While Purcell was fully deserving of his position last year, that was last year when he had Brisby, Hingano, Keary and co around him. This year he doesn't and his game skills are tailored towards playing 10 just as effectively. Dare I say it but if they picked a NSW team last sunday then the CHS 12 would have every reason to feel dudded if he was not selected in front of him. As to the Oakhill suggestion lets just face facts shall we. After 3 rounds it is once again quite obvious to anyone with even half a brain that the two stand out teams in the ISA are Auggies and Oakhill (just check the scorelines). Nobody seems to mind when Augustines players are selected in large number so why is there a problem suggesting the same courtesy be extended to the other dominant side in the competition. If Stannies, Pat's or the other sides are demanding to be selected on performance then how do we explain the 40 point losses to either Augustines or Oakhill this year. Your point about the ISA trials also reveals the amateurism of the ISA process where they pick a team weeks in advance without a competition game being played and where team combinations are not observed. At best it can be a lottery where a good player can be made to look ordinary by the play of some inside him. All I'd like to see is ISA give all of their players the best opportunity to compete with the other associations on a level playing field for a change.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
[=no9;253179].
you don't support oakhill at all do you?? So you are suggesting dropping one of the two or three best players in the whole of the ISA comp in the form of dombkins after one weaker than normal game?? And I would move Purcell either as I believe his next game will be 10 times this one as I heard he was carrying an injury against C.H.S.[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr Fish, at what point did I say drop Dombkins. Perhaps you should pay more attention in english classes this week. If you read and comprehended my post you would see that I mentioned if he was unavailable due to injury I would then make the suggested changes in the forwards. As to moving Purcell you may have noticed that I was simply agreeing with a previous posters suggestion but we already know that reading isn't your strength. As to supporting Oakhill, yes you are correct but more importantly I support ISA and while I don't bow to the temple of Augustines I quite like the idea of a composition of the two best teams in the association plus other deserving members taking on the the others for places in the state squad. Lets all hope Purcell is fit on friday and plays to his true ability. Hope its all fine on the peninsula for you auggies boys eh! sweet as.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You can still be worthy of an ISA 1's spot if you play in a weak School side.
The Oakhill players got their chance at the trials.
maybe 1 or 2 might have been unlucky in the selection process, that happens every year in every association.
I would be looking closer at the pigs than the backs after Sunday, in any event.
The CHS side made a lot of breaks close to the edges & picked up inside runners all day.The ISA forwards never laid a platform for their backs. Quite a few of the ISA forwards did not have the required build to compete at that level, some simply did not cope at the higher level.
Yes,Purcell did have quality inside & outside of him last year. He also had a forward pack that gave him parity.
He is more entitled to trial in his preferred position, than any other ISA player who did not shine at the ISA trials.
His job is to be selected in NSW 1's, it is not his job to play out of position to provide service to a lesser player, who he has out performed over the past 3 years.

B

baldingwingforward

Went to watch the games today. Here's my observations on the 1s GPS side:

1. Ezra - damaging in the loose running around the edges. Got shown up badly in the scrums. IMO will struggle as he goes up against better props.
2. Guilfoyle - willing but seemed to struggle with the physicality.
3. Alan Alatoa - same as Ezra. Good with ball in hand. Struggled at scrums.
4. Rorke - quite visible in the loose. Made a couple of good runs. Aggressive at the breakdown. Not great at the lineout.
5. Kovacic - great game. A handful on the ball. Scored 2 bustling tries. Strong and aggressive.
6. Miller - didn't justify his selection in front of Dempsey. Offside a lot of the time and gave away a number of penalties.
7. Waters - played a great 7s game. Stole a lot of ball at the breakdown, carried well. Slipped off a few tackles trying to make big shots. Gave away some silly penalties.
8. Wells - had a great game. Made a number of damaging runs and his defence was brutal. Saved a couple of tries with great cover tackles.
9. Merriman - a very good game. Crisp pass to his 10. Mixed up his running and passing well. Scored a good try. probably worked the blindside a bit too often but that was probably under coaches orders.
10. Vaux - good all round game. Tackled well, stole a couple of turnovers. A bit greedy at times when he held on to the ball but generally distributed well and put blokes through gaps. Made one excellent break out and ball back inside to the winger.
11. Roye - not bad. Strong runner. Absolutely butchered a try when he got the ball off Vaux and just had to draw and pass to finish it off. Limited catch and pass skills - great power runner though.
12. Stewart - very classy performance. Very strong on the ball. Got GPS over the gain line through traffic on a number of times. Scored a good try when he simply busted tackles with his brute strength. Also displayed he has a good passing game. Impressive match.
13. Barclay - IMO didn't play well enough to justify his selection ahead of some notable absentees. Missed some easy tackles to allow at least one CAS try, possibly 2?
14. Gallagher - played well for a young bloke. Some classy touches and scored an easy try (although that was much due to Merrimans pass). Got turned over a bit softly once indicating his tender years might not be quite up to the physicality of this level. Pretty good game though.
15. Le Lievre - good enough but not as good as others have suggested. HUGE boot which is a weapon but he is a selfish runner on the ball. Numerous times he held it when he could/should have passed. Also missed a couple of easy tackles.

2s:
Standouts were:
10 Horwitz - took the ball to the line and distributed well.
6 Dempsey - this lad was outstanding. (How he wasn't in the 1s is a joke!) Scored a great try and was a handful all night.
13 Grammar kid - showed some really good touches to keep movements going.
4 Whiteley - very mobile and agressive with the ball in hand.
12 - Lalakai. Had his moments. Lovely footwork, but still seems to be a bit of a liability in defence

3rds game:
Shore winger 11 - was outstanding!! Scored 3 tries and was a constant threat. Should have been picked higher.
2 Lane. Had a strong half then got subbed.

W

wingnut

15. Le Lievre - good enough but not as good as others have suggested. HUGE boot which is a weapon but he is a selfish runner on the ball. Numerous times he held it when he could/should have passed. Also missed a couple of easy tackles.

I agree with you to an extent but Gus, took the ball up strongly and we all know about his lack of defence. I reason why he might of been a little selfish was because he might not have trusted his fellow wingers. One point, where Gus, made a break and had Kellaway on his right and he gave a perfect pass to Kellaway but he knocked on..this could be an explanation for Gus going himself quite a bit. I thought he deffinately out played Jamo Clarke (fullback for CAS) who just lacked size and speed. Not as good as what he is talked up to be. Standout for CAS though was the 17, very strong runner of the ball. Kovacic was the standout player for GPS and deserved the two meat pies that he got, wells and walters both had very strong games. Miller, not as dominant as he was against Joeys 3 days ago but still made a few good runs and was active a round the ruck. Vaux quite fluent with his ball work and handling skills and showed that if there was enough space to move he used it. Barclay and Roye pretty quite but showed some ability. Front row held up moderately well in the scrums, but like everyone else seems to be saying on this forum, Ezra and Alan will stuggle if they end up getting selected further along the line. Guilfoyle i thought, played a good all round hookers game, thought he was a bit quiet in the first half but he came out firing in the 2nd half and became more involved around the breakdown and made a domminant run inside the CAS 22 early in the 2nd half to prove this. I think played all over wilson (hooker for CAS). Will be interesting to see how their game against CHS will go on friday.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
You can still be worthy of an ISA 1's spot if you play in a weak School side.
The Oakhill players got their chance at the trials.
maybe 1 or 2 might have been unlucky in the selection process, that happens every year in every association.
I would be looking closer at the pigs than the backs after Sunday, in any event.
The CHS side made a lot of breaks close to the edges & picked up inside runners all day.The ISA forwards never laid a platform for their backs. Quite a few of the ISA forwards did not have the required build to compete at that level, some simply did not cope at the higher level.
Yes,Purcell did have quality inside & outside of him last year. He also had a forward pack that gave him parity.
He is more entitled to trial in his preferred position, than any other ISA player who did not shine at the ISA trials.
His job is to be selected in NSW 1's, it is not his job to play out of position to provide service to a lesser player, who he has out performed over the past 3 years.

OK,
point 1 - No problem
point 2 - Did they? As I remember it Augustines all played in the red team while the other schools were split into different teams in varying numbers. Don't know about you but that appears a little biased to me. How many Augustines players were unlucky?
point 3 - 4 of the pack were Augustines players with 3 Stannies and 1 Oakhill. May I suggest you revisit my original post and take note that I suggested the 3 move to 8 to supply much needed bulk and that the Oakhill 1 be elevated as he also is a bigger body. If as you suggest the original pack can't cope then why not make changes. Other associations do. Wells made the Australian side after initially being picked in GPS III's. Why would we deny someone in the II's an opportunity to step up if the I's are not deemed up to it?
point 4 - I thought the selectors chose where a player was best suited to trial and this wasn't the decision of the player. I have no problem with Purcell, I actually believe he will be a good 10 in years to come with the skills he has. I can't see how playing in an underperforming side is enhancing his selection chances when making a few changes may give him the parity you believe he requires to play well.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Baldingwingforward, I agree with most of your observations but I think you have to take into account that CAS II's was one of the weakest performance seen in years at this level and that this contributed to Dempsey and Co looking like supermen at times. I didn't think miller played poorly although he was offside all night.

P

PTB

my fifteen so far, note so far!!!

no way this will be the team as reputation will get people in teams but from what ive seen this should be the fifteen atm to try and beat qlders

1 batho
2 undecided
3 aalotaola
4 CHS #4
5 kovacic
6 kelepi Leao
7 broome
8 wells
9 natoli / wessels
10 debricini
11 northam
12 stewart
13 northam
14 tanginoa
15 gutherson

this will not be the team and nor should it theres still matches to be played, but if i were to pick nsw 1s today on form and games ive seen this owuldbe it, also liek to see peoples thoughts, agreeance or disagreeance

A

attack21

4 from gps? wat about roye, le lievre, merriman, walters? the stupid thing about the gps teams is that they only play 2 games compared to both chs and cas playing 3. except for reputation, this gives them obvious disadvantages...

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kulen from GPS reserves get a run?

Hope he gets a better opportunity in the next game with a starting spot.

P

PTB

4 from gps? wat about roye, le lievre, merriman, walters? the stupid thing about the gps teams is that they only play 2 games compared to both chs and cas playing 3. except for reputation, this gives them obvious disadvantages...

if roye had a football brain, you musnt of seen chs play isa or cas, wings were there best players, gutherson has performed better than le lievre i would have him in 2s, merriman would be my 3rd ranked half at present and broome streaks ahead of walters

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
very much agree, with CHS performing as they are, should, but most likely wont be a CHS dominated team, reputations will hold up as always
i would give the GPS or CAS hookers a chance on their reputations alone
but also throw the CCC hooker in for a roughie

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)

And what about those in GPS 3s? Get a half a game or one game if they're lucky. They have no chance. And there are often good players in 3s.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The CAS Is lads should be congratulated for their improvement since their tepid performance against CHS recently. Their teamwork was a big step up but I don't think that many would have improved their chances of individual NSW selection. Accordingly, I will not mention many of them below

I looked through baldingwingforward's comments on the GPS players and agree with just about all of them.; so I won't duplicate his remarks. (Just as well I fell asleep after dinner when I had finished my 2nd wine.) GPS could do a lot worse than having the bald one as chairman of selectors as he seems to have a better eye than they do.

I'll do an assessment in a NSW selection way then.

• The two Newington bookend props 1. Ezra A and 3. Alan A played better than when I saw them walking around the park in one trial game I saw. For a change they used their bulk to effect. A couple of times CAS had decent mauls going and then one or both of them would align themselves behind the line of force of the maul and stop it cold. You couldn't shift them trying a counter-ruck either.

Both of them are still contenders for NSW spots but we'll have to see how the GPS scrum goes against CHS first. If it's even the NSW selectors will take into account the better mobility of the two CHS Is props.

The prop who took my eye in the game though was the CAS 1. Lawley, who didn't play against CHS; so he was new to me. He'll get a spot in one of the NSW teams IMO.

I don't have any clue as to who the NSW hookers will be as none of the lads on the day put their hands up too high and neither did the ISA or CHS lot on Sunday either.

• 4. Kovacic had his most aggressive game of the season yesterday and he was playing well before that. Was probably the Man of the Match and just as probably nailed a NSW Is spot. I'm not sure who his partner will be but I will be more sure on Friday,

• Most of the 6s and 7s on the day were really 7s, and as 7s none of them looked better than the semi-injured Broome of CHS on Sunday. But Walters played well after being promoted to the GPS Ones, apart from dishing out a head high tackle, and Kennedy of CAS had some good moments too.

6. Dempsey in the GPS Twos was the only flanker with a point of difference: mongrel and skill on attack and defence, and as the bald one said: he should have been in the Ones. They probably won't change the GPS teams but if he gets promoted it will be a good contest with the CHS 6. Calcagno on Friday, and then interesting to compare them with Dombkins of ISA, hopefully more rested then and playing healthy, in an earlier game.

Wells was the best 8 of the day though Baraket in the GPS Twos had some good moments.

• 9. Merriman would have the inside running for the NSW spot based on that performance and as baldy indicated: it was an all round game. He's the best scrummie I've seen this year as only Natioli of ISA comes close, and in an entirely different, quixotic way. It's a pity that these lads won't play against each other on Friday - and Natoli is in the ISA IIs anyway

• NSW will be well served with 10. Vaux and 10. Horowitz. The position has not been one of strength for the state for a while. Both performed well against CAS and Vaux, in particular, played beyond his years in the Ones. They would both be ahead of Debreczeni of CAS and McIntyre of CHS.

• 12. Stewart was the best back of the day. He was Horan-like sometimes with his different skills. He was one of the few backs interested in straightening the line on attack and near the CAS goal line he was always a threat. He gave no change on defence either. Foketi didn't show enough in the Twos. He may get a NSW utility spot but his chance will probably come next year.

I don't know how the selectors of the NSW mid-fielders will decide on their inside centre for the Ones. The direct Stewart, and the ball playing facilitator Purcell of ISA, who played injured on Sunday, are different types. If Stewart can play 13. it could be problem solved but he is a natural 12. IMO.

Strong running 13. Scarano was probably the best of the CAS backs and 13. Jones of the GPS IIs played well after subbing for Roods.

• 11. Roye, as the bald one said, is a power runner, and yes, he bombed a try. He doesn't have the all round attacking skills of Tanginoa of CHS, a shoo-in IMO, but is a contender for the other wing in the NSW Ones. Redden was handy for the GPS Twos also. 14. Kellaway played well for his years in the Ones but needs more seasoning and probably should have been in the Twos.

15. Le Lievre didn't have his best game and wasn't stellar against Scots on Saturday either. His goal kicking was poor and he slipped once and the CAS 13 ran through for a try. He is still probably the front runner for NSW Ones, though it will be interesting on Friday to see the comparison with CHS fullback Gutherson, who rocked against a tired ISA team last Sunday.

T

TigersFan5

Baldingwingforward, 14 is Kellaway just for future references. He is still 15 and was played alright footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.