• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TigersFan5

Cale Angeloni NSW U/15 & Sydney, Ben Cotton U/15 Sydney
I think the ISA will have a few surprise selctions, they will go under the radar i suspect.
However, i'm intreged to hear more about this 2nd Kellaway kid?? what is he like to his brother

I

International Badboy

I think the ISA will have a few surprise selctions, they will go under the radar i suspect.
However, i'm intreged to hear more about this 2nd Kellaway kid?? what is he like to his brother

Seeing as you go to/support scotts im sure you would know

Bill McLean (32)
Thanks for the insight in to CCC 16's Newbie. I too am a first time poster on these pages and have had extensive exposure to what seems to be a particularly strong agegroup. Having had the oppertunity to view many of the players being refered to in these pages via the NSW Country, JGS and GPS pathways I feel comfortable enough to have my two bobs woth in relation to who should or will make NSW All scholls 16's selection this year.
The forwards for me will be much harder (than the backs) to select with quite a few having genuine claims based on past and current form. So in non positional order, but probably merit based order, would think that the following players will figure in the squad. Matt Sandel (GPS), Nick Pennissi(GPS), Troy Smith (CAS), Malaki Afele(CAS),Luke Papworth (CHS), Lucas Bateman (GPS), Matt Matson (GPS) and Jamie Greentree (GPS). Throw in a couple of "bolters" from the CHS and CCC packs who on the day could prove to be more than a handleful. I must say however, having the oppertunity to see a couple of the CCC forwards play over the years, I do question the strength of the pack.
On the other hand, I think the backs will be far easier to pick with a few standouts who shouldn't miss out. Starting with Rory Davis (GPS) -daylight second in that position. Would take Joey Lusaik (GPS)or Jeff Markus(CAS) at 21 as either could be very effective late in a tight game at 9 or 10. Corey Tulloch(GPS) at 10 because of his exceptional defence and long parternship with Davis ( nothing would get thru the middle ) and lets face it, the ball will need to get to (quickly and often) where the real strength will be outside 10 with Tepai Meroa ( GPS) and Andrew Kallaway (GPS). Woulk be the best centre pairing I've seen in a few years. A major factor in the "new found" sucess of the Kings 16's this year has been the performance of Harry Jones at 15. Big, fast and strong, runs great lines. Would have him starting there. As for Micheal Morgan, I also have seen him play a few times and reckon him and Robbie Wolgram have similar skill sets (might come down to 1 or the other).The wing spots at this stage seem to be wide open with a number of players from different associations in good form.
In relation to the Harold Matt's Newbie, I've watched quite a bit this year and reckon although the format and program is very good quality, the standard of footy doesn't warrant the hype. Even the top sides Illawarra and Bulldogs have more than a few players who are only at best average athletes making it easier for the handful of genuinely talented players to shine.

Dingdong I take it that you are similar to me and get to watch a lot of junior rugby and league; and given what you have said I will presume that you do (forgive me if I am wrong). Without giving too much away (as I want maintain my anonymity) I generally get to (if not have to) watch a lot of junior rugby and league games. If I do not attend them personally I try to obtain a DVD of the same, generally those produced by ‘On the Spot Video’ or ‘Sports Recording Services’.

I personally went to a school where playing league was quasi-compulsory if you had the right body shape and temperament. It was either that or the ‘Master of Discipline’ would find a weekly excuse to beat the crap out of you until you seen the error of your ways. As most know league players cannot be describe as cultured; after all the name of the game is to render your opponent crippled. Some would suggest that they are the missing links of evolution. I ceased playing league when I completed high school and several years later I took up rugby after watching Australia win the World Cup in 1991. It was a wave of euphoria that followed that victory and I was on it! It was a truly magnificent era. What a revelation it was to play a physical sport where your opponent was not out to deliberately maim you. In fact your opponent only wanted to ruck the living sh*t out of you, and afterwards, buy you several beers until you were inebriated or incapacitated (alas the contradictions of rugby … lmao). Nevertheless in terms of junior league you have to give credit where credit is due, irrespective of what league eventually becomes as a player progresses to the senior ranks! Let me explain.

You reference the Harold Matthews Competition (‘HMC’) in your post, in particular you state that the standard of footy doesn't warrant the hype. You go on further and also state that even the top sides such as Illawarra and the Bulldogs have more than a few players who are, at best, average athletes making it easier for the handful of genuinely talented players to shine. With the greatest respect I will have to fervently disagree. Leaving GPS rugby aside, in terms of hype, where has/does junior rugby ever provide a comparative spectacle of the same standard as the HMC. I invite you (or anyone here) to try and obtain copies of the following games and tell me that the standard is poor or the event unspectacular (if you do I would then invite you to check your pulse … lmao). The games are, R1 Manly v Penrith, R4 Bulldogs v Eels, R5 Bulldogs v Tigers, R6 Manly v Parramatta, Buldogs v Newcastle SF, and Bulldogs v Illawarra GF.

Continuing on (and to reiterate my earlier post), why is it that so many of the boys mentioned in these posts try to gain selection into HMC teams? For example there is a lad mentioned in these post numerous times called Jamison Clark. He represents CAS (and goes to TGS). Jamo, as he is referred to, played for Balmain in the HMC this year. Apparently the father wanted to hone his game in a quality environment and to give him better defensive skills. In addition there is also Andrew Kellaway of Scots. Correct me if I am wrong but did he not trial for the North Sydney Bears HMC team this year. It is my understanding that he attended the open invitation to trial and made the train-on squad. I do not know what happened to him afterward but I know that he was not in the final team at the commencement of the HMC season. What about Malaki Afele from CAS who has also been mentioned here in numerous posts? I know for a fact that he sought selection in the Parramatta HMC team but did not make the final cut. There is also Tepai Moeroa (Parramatta HMC), Robbie Wolgramm (Manly HMC), Joey Lussick (Manly HMC), the list is endless! What about the ARU’s JGS it is littered with the names of boys that played in the HMC. I am sorry Dindong but junior rugby is generally better off because of the skills and experience that lads as those mentioned above have developed in league and brought back to rugby!

Anyway enough about league it serves a purpose and should be utilised by rugby as such; a means to an end. I am more interested in your assessment and/or comparison of Moeroa, Kellaway, Wolfgramm, and Morgan for the centre positions. What is it based on? In other words have you seen these lads play on a regular basis? With the exception of Morgan I have followed the development of the other three. For me Tepai is an automatic selection in any team. With that said does it seem to you that he has lost a yard or two of pace in the last couple of years? For me it does. Maybe it’s because the other lads have caught up to him in physical development (though he is still huge and bloody fast). However a colleague of mine believes it because Parramatta are developing him as a forward making it necessary for him to bulk up. All up he is still a runaway freight train! With regard to Wolgramm do you not think he is carrying way to much weight at present? Manly played him off the bench at prop during the HMC and he was selected at prop for the NSWCHS and Australia last year. What are your thoughts? With respect to Kellaway I haven’t seen him since the Regional Championship last year so I can’t comment. As for Morgan you said you seen him play recently? It is my understanding that he has only just returned from league representation and played his first game of rugby at the NSWCCC trials? That is where I seen him. I am interested in hearing if he has come head to head with either Moeroa or Kellaway? Morgan and Moeroa met in the Bulldogs v Eels HMC Round 4 match this year and had several one on ones. Morgan took the points on each occasion! Coincidentally they were team mates in the NSWRL U/16’s two weeks ago. Surely this lad didn’t just evolve out of a vacuum in 2011. His HMC games are superlative and suggest otherwise.

I am also interested in hearing about your assessment of Jamison Clark. There are big wraps on this lad. Nevertheless I watched him at last year’s State Championship where he was playing in a weak West Harbour team and his performance mirrored that of his team. He was later picked in a strong SJRU MWZ team for the Regional Championship that year and had absolute blinders (especially against the weaker teams). As stated above he played for the Balmain HMC team this year and from the only game I seen he did nothing out of the ordinary. I know others here have stated his that defence is great, more so in pressure situations, I have reputable sources tell that it quite the inverse. Emphatically so! What is your opinion? Alternatively I have watched Joey Lussick play, and find him to solid in both attack and defence; full-stop. Has a great kicking game as well!

And finally what are your thoughts on the wingers Jake Roberts and Jimmy Ah Cheung. Both represented SJRU and NSWJRU U/15’s last year, and have only gotten better!

Regards,
Newbie.

I

International Badboy

And finally what are your thoughts on the wingers Jake Roberts and Jimmy Ah Cheung. Both represented SJRU and NSWJRU U/15’s last year, and have only gotten better!

Schools and club teams, it appears i have a lot of Junior League and Union to watch !

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good stuff as usual Newbie.

Nevertheless I watched him at last year’s State Championship where he was playing in a weak West Harbour team and his performance mirrored that of his team.

Younger forum members should read the tone of the above statement and mimic it. It is much more to the point than statements like: "He's a hopeless player," "My little sister plays better than he does." "He couldn't find touch - I bet he couldn't find his arse using both hands."

Learn young'uns, learn.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
In addition there is also Andrew Kellaway of Scots. Correct me if I am wrong but did he not trial for the North Sydney Bears HMC team this year. It is my understanding that he attended the open invitation to trial and made the train-on squad. I do not know what happened to him afterward but I know that he was not in the final team at the commencement of the HMC season.
I have been told that the coaching staff at Norths were very keen to have him play for them but in actual fact the only reason he took up the invitation to trial was to test himself and see what the standard of HMC is. He had never played leauge before and he was the best player trialing, that tells you something about his ability...

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Found Gordon's squad. Don't know if it's final but it looks very formidable with quite a few names mentioned in this thread included:

GUY BEEVER
MATT BOROZAN
LACHLAN CANNELL
ANTHONY COLLUM
TOM CUTLER
TOM DEMPSEY
MICHAEL DOCKER
CAMERON DOVE
ISIAIH ENRIQUEZ
CHRIS GOLDIE
PHOENIX GOODMAN
TOM HARDING
ALISTAIR HOLMES a’COURT
OLLIE KAMP
ANDREW KELLAWAY
NATHAN KELLY
JACK KING
MICHAEL LLOYD
JEFF MARKUS
TOMAS MEANEY
JACK REDDEN
LACHLAN SHAW
MITCHELL SHORT
DEVAN STOLTZ
DOUG STREETER
TOM WELCH

D

Dingdong

Newbie, you’re right, I do watch a lot of junior rugby and league. From the sounds of things, unlike yourself who seems to have more than a passing interest in the comp, I have followed the HMC out interest in a few players from one team; consequently have only had the opportunity to have a single live viewing ( in league) of most of the boys we have both spoken about of the past few months.
I have to say Newbie, we have eerily similar backgrounds in schooling and playing both codes, I would be amazed if our paths haven’t crossed. Enough about that and more about the issue. With all due respects, I think you missed my point a little when I said that the standard of footy doesn’t warrant the hype. You’ve responded asking “why is it that so many boy’s mentioned in these posts tried to gain selection in the HMC teams”. The reason why so many boys try to gain selection in the HMC is the same reason that every kid who grows up in Victoria wants to be in the Rising Star program and why every kid who grew up in England wants to play in the premier leagues junior feeder comp. I hear too often about how “little Jonny just loves the game” what I think is little Jonny just loves playing sport and I see all too often an average athlete in one sport, who because of his physical attributes could be an elite sportsman in another. More often than not when these players realize this or are given an opportunity to try something else, they quickly become the little Jonny who just loves the new sport!

I stand by my comments about every team having their fair share of at best average athlete’s which allows the genuinely talented players to shine. Again, with all due respect Newbie, I’m not sure that an exciting spectacle equates to ALL the players being superior athletes. I do however find it interesting that a large proportion of leagues most talented juniors in this and almost every other age group are long term Union players. We might discuss that another day.
Now let’s discuss what I think we both really enjoy, that’s the very best young athletes (in this instance Rugby players) and the who’s and why they should get a shot in the All schools 16’s team. As disclosed earlier my involvement (although long ) has been limited to a few of the many and varied pathways offered to our players which has afforded me the opportunity to see a whole lot of most of the players spoken about but also not so much of others (at least a little)
Jamo Clarke, I think is a far better Union player than he is a league player. Yes I do think he has some defense issues but also have seen enough of him to know that his game awareness and ability to act on this awareness is well above average. Andrew Kellaway may or may not have trialed at North’s, I’m not sure but I can say, for me he does seem to have a bucket load of talent. More than a few astute judges have considered him a bit of a “Stevie man child” but I think he is something very special.

This is getting way too long winded now, so I’ll wrap up by saying I think Jake Roberts and Jimmy should be front runners for the wing spots but am hearing lots about quite a few other boys (Docker, Reid, Ala-Fang1 ??) and others who are flyers and finishers as well

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Sydney Uni U16 - 1 or 2 names have been mentioned in dispatches on here - but not much expected of them as a team as a whole I don't think

Sunia BUKALIDI
Ethan DUFF-COLEMAN
Wilson FAASALAFA
Asipeli FATAI
Conner FINN
Christian KAGASSIS
Atunaisa KULI
Lawrence LEAUMA
Timothy LEE
Halatoa TUPOU
Campbell MCDONALD
Michael MORGAN
Kenneth RAPAEA
Jordon George ROODS
Luke STRONG
Perrin TASKER
Riley TASKER
Robert TAUFA
Hector TITTERTON
Mesui TUFUI
Vaka MAILE
Jesse ZAMMIT

D

Dingdong

Found Gordon's squad. Don't know if it's final but it looks very formidable with quite a few names mentioned in this thread included

Very strong team. Might well be good enough to knock off Parra.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Very strong team. Might well be good enough to knock off Parra.

Dingdong in your few posts to date you've shown yourself to be a pretty good judge of rugby talent. I agree with you that Gordon have a huge chance of knocking off Parra. As the're both in the same pool and may finish 1 and 2, which is likely, they won't face each other until the finals. Real challenge for Gordon is probably Eastwood whose squad is below as lifted off their website (yet again don't know if it's their final squad or not). They also have a number of names mentioned in this thread including quite a few of Kings 16As players (Bateman, Black, Reid, Greentree, Macalman, Bucknell etc) I'm surprised though that Rory Davis, Corey Tulloch and Sam Carter aren't there too as they are at Kings and are all state level players and NSW JGS members. Either they're not playing club rugby or are representing teams other than Eastwood which has traditionally been a stronghold for junior players from Kings.

Joshua Anderson
Lucas Bateman
Robert Black
Jack Bliss
Nick Brown
Tom Bucknell
Matthew Collins
Benjamin Cotton
Adam De Santis
Joseph Daaboul
Joshua Dixon
Charlie Friend
Jamie Greentree
Jarrod Maurer
Jack Macalman
Alex Pappalardo
Scott Pater
Mark Quadrio
Nick Reid
James Ridge
Arne Rodgers
James Sarks
Steven Segretto
Jackson Unmack
Lucas Vianellos

T

TigersFan5

Dingdong in your few posts to date you've shown yourself to be a pretty good judge of rugby talent. I agree with you that Gordon have a huge chance of knocking off Parra. As the're both in the same pool and may finish 1 and 2, which is likely, they won't face each other until the finals. Real challenge for Gordon is probably Eastwood whose squad is below as lifted off their website (yet again don't know if it's their final squad or not). They also have a number of names mentioned in this thread including quite a few of Kings 16As players (Bateman, Black, Reid, Greentree, Macalman, Bucknell etc) I'm surprised though that Rory Davis, Corey Tulloch and Sam Carter aren't there too as they are at Kings and are all state level players and NSW JGS members. Either they're not playing club rugby or are representing teams other than Eastwood which has traditionally been a stronghold for junior players from Kings.

Joshua Anderson
Lucas Bateman
Robert Black
Jack Bliss
Nick Brown
Tom Bucknell
Matthew Collins
Benjamin Cotton
Adam De Santis
Joseph Daaboul
Joshua Dixon
Charlie Friend
Jamie Greentree
Jarrod Maurer
Jack Macalman
Alex Pappalardo
Scott Pater
Mark Quadrio
Nick Reid
James Ridge
Arne Rodgers
James Sarks
Steven Segretto
Jackson Unmack
Lucas Vianellos

I heard Gordon knocked them off 3 tries to 1 on Sunday, Gordon were down a few players to.

D

Dingdong

Rory Davis is the only one there who would be eligable to play for Eastwood (plays with Kings boys at Beecroft), I've been told he's concentrating soley on GPS. Corey Tulloch played with Illawarra this year and now country and Sam Carter played with Hunter and now country as well. The regional's will be the next time we see them play.

Bill McLean (32)
Thanks!

Good stuff as usual Newbie.

Younger forum members should read the tone of the above statement and mimic it. It is much more to the point than statements like: "He's a hopeless player," "My little sister plays better than he does." "He couldn't find touch - I bet he couldn't find his arse using both hands."

Learn young'uns, learn.

You're too kind, however I think you have forgotten that you cannot put brains in statues (i.e. Adolescents). I remember when I was a 16 my father once described me as an "exercise in futility". Could you ever believe such arrogance, nevertheless it is quite amazing how much the old boy has matured in the last 20 years or so!

G

G-78-XV-V

does anyone know when the GPS u16 squad is selected ??
I heard they are trialing possibles vs probables on sunday 19th??

Status
Not open for further replies.