• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
...I am sure that most of TG Milner are wondering what was wrong with that try, ...

Only 3 options available - Referee not sighted for grounding the ball or he thought it was straight through the tunnel or he saw it and ruled put into in-goal Parramatta, grounded Gordon.

If he thought Whicker followed it around on the non feeding side that's a penalty. If he thought carried into in-goal and grounded by Gordon, that would have been 5M scrum Parramatta.

C

cold coffee

Are you calling Parra a Div 2 side ?????? I reckon they're better than that.

No Dingdong im not quoting Parra 2 a Div 2 side... However I will say that after watching the GF yesterday AKellaway and Gordon played an outstanding game and pushed Parra to the end for a well deserved win. As discussed by many i hope this game isnt rememebered for the penalty at fulltime.

Gordon a hearty congrats ... time to warm up the coffee !

C

cold coffee

And the Barbarians side looks interesting enough.........

Jim Ah Cheung - Parramatta
Jason Albert - Penrith Barbarians
Eric Aukofolau -Penrith Barbarians
Shane Faaui - Sydney University
Alaister Holmes-A'Court - Gordon
Morgan Hornby- Penrith Barbarians
Oliver Kamp - Gordon
Brad Korak - Parramatta
Puipaa Maa - Parramatta
Cameron Orr - Wests Harbour
Kenneth Rapaea- Sydney University
Iona Taiki- Parramatta
Robert Taufa- Sydney University
George Taufu- Parramatta
Joshua Tawell- Wests Harbour
Lochlann Taylor - Penrith Barbarians
Jordan Terare- Randwick
Dylan Thompson- Warringah
John Tohi- Penrith Barbarians
Ben Tranter- Penrith Barbarians
Niu Tupou - Parramatta
Jack Ulu- Parramatta
Anthony Vasilis- Randwick

S

shinsplits

Andrew Kellaway

I notice A Kellaway was not selected in MN North. Is there any reason for this.

Overall some great footy with a fantastic final. Congratulations to Gordon and kudos to all of the other teams all of whom played rugby hard and fair.

Bloody good weekend.:yay

Bill McLean (32)
What the ?*&^%$

I notice A Kellaway was not selected in MN North. Is there any reason for this.

Overall some great footy with a fantastic final. Congratulations to Gordon and kudos to all of the other teams all of whom played rugby hard and fair.

Bloody good weekend.:yay

Just seen it myself! We'll have to wait for Dingdong to log in! That man has his ear to the ground on these issues. The 'Good Oil' as they say!

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
What were the MWZ Selectors thinking???

And the Barbarians side looks interesting enough.........

Jim Ah Cheung - Parramatta
Jason Albert - Penrith Barbarians
Eric Aukofolau -Penrith Barbarians
Shane Faaui - Sydney University
Alaister Holmes-A'Court - Gordon
Morgan Hornby- Penrith Barbarians
Oliver Kamp - Gordon
Brad Korak - Parramatta
Puipaa Maa - Parramatta
Cameron Orr - Wests Harbour
Kenneth Rapaea- Sydney University
Iona Taiki- Parramatta
Robert Taufa- Sydney University
George Taufu- Parramatta
Joshua Tawell- Wests Harbour
Lochlann Taylor - Penrith Barbarians
Jordan Terare- Randwick
Dylan Thompson- Warringah
John Tohi- Penrith Barbarians
Ben Tranter- Penrith Barbarians
Niu Tupou - Parramatta
Jack Ulu- Parramatta
Anthony Vasilis- Randwick

Can someone please explain to me how a rationale selector could have left some of the players mentioned above out of the MWZ team!

Metaphorically speaking the Baabaa's selectors generally have to form a team that fall from the scraps off the other Zone's tables. On this occasion the MWZ selectors tossed of whole roast chickens!

I'm on the Baabaa's band wagon at Regional!!!!

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
Humility is a Virtue!

If Gordon are able/allowed to play an up tempo game,I reckon they'll win. Parra's vulnerable out wide,Gordon's strength is out wide. Forwards battle will be interesting, both packs will be wanting/instructed to play 2 very different styles. Gordon by 5.

Thanks to the Parra forward who knocked-on from the kick-off near full-time, and then to the Clark lad who gave away the penalty for off-side, I have now been forced to graciously eat some of Dingdongs foul tasting 'Humble Pie'.

Nevertheless I will be the bigger man and acknowledge that Dingdong was right and should be applauded for his high powered acuity, especially with respect to his insight into 'OUT WIDE' weaknesses of the once invincible Parra juggernaut!

Hats off to 'OBI-WAN-RUGBY' Jedi-master of the 'Paddock' ... lmao ... lmao!!

Regards,

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
To my detriment I have accused others in this room of taking illicit substances, however MWZ selectors were definitely taking something on the weekend!

Can someone please explain to me how a rationale selector could have left some of the players mentioned above out of the MWZ team!

Metaphorically speaking the Baabaa's selectors generally have to form a team that fall from the scraps off the other Zone's tables

My understanding of the process is that North, South and West all get to choose a 1 to 15, then Barbarians get to pick the next 1 to 15 from all 3 zones. After that, North, South and West pick 16 to 23, then Barbarians get what's left. This will explain some of the names you see in that list.

R

rara10

Thanks for the insight in to CCC 16's Newbie. I too am a first time poster on these pages and have had extensive exposure to what seems to be a particularly strong agegroup. Having had the oppertunity to view many of the players being refered to in these pages via the NSW Country, JGS and GPS pathways I feel comfortable enough to have my two bobs woth in relation to who should or will make NSW All scholls 16's selection this year.
The forwards for me will be much harder (than the backs) to select with quite a few having genuine claims based on past and current form. So in non positional order, but probably merit based order, would think that the following players will figure in the squad. Matt Sandel (GPS), Nick Pennissi(GPS), Troy Smith (CAS), Malaki Afele(CAS),Luke Papworth (CHS), Lucas Bateman (GPS), Matt Matson (GPS) and Jamie Greentree (GPS). Throw in a couple of "bolters" from the CHS and CCC packs who on the day could prove to be more than a handleful. I must say however, having the oppertunity to see a couple of the CCC forwards play over the years, I do question the strength of the pack.
On the other hand, I think the backs will be far easier to pick with a few standouts who shouldn't miss out. Starting with Rory Davis (GPS) -daylight second in that position. Would take Joey Lusaik (GPS)or Jeff Markus(CAS) at 21 as either could be very effective late in a tight game at 9 or 10. Corey Tulloch(GPS) at 10 because of his exceptional defence and long parternship with Davis ( nothing would get thru the middle ) and lets face it, the ball will need to get to (quickly and often) where the real strength will be outside 10 with Tepai Meroa ( GPS) and Andrew Kallaway (GPS). Woulk be the best centre pairing I've seen in a few years. A major factor in the "new found" sucess of the Kings 16's this year has been the performance of Harry Jones at 15. Big, fast and strong, runs great lines. Would have him starting there. As for Micheal Morgan, I also have seen him play a few times and reckon him and Robbie Wolgram have similar skill sets (might come down to 1 or the other).The wing spots at this stage seem to be wide open with a number of players from different associations in good form.
In relation to the Harold Matt's Newbie, I've watched quite a bit this year and reckon although the format and program is very good quality, the standard of footy doesn't warrant the hype. Even the top sides Illawarra and Bulldogs have more than a few players who are only at best average athletes making it easier for the handful of genuinely talented players to shine.

Hey Dingdong
Was just wondering if you have made any changes to your team after the weekend?
What about the 1/2s
and up front:yay
We are all waiting for your next words of wisdom

I

International Badboy

Kellaway will not be playing in the regionals because due to injury he is apart of the Tahs senior squad and their finals push :p

Would have to be some serious school commitment to keep him out though dont you think, so im guessing the fact that he is not availabe will definately mean hes playing ins Schools side and not the sydney side at nationals this year

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sydney can & probably will still pick him on his form over the past weekend. being unavailable for MNZ doesn't deem him ineligble for Sydney.

Bill McLean (32)
Selecting the SJRU U/16 Team; is there a better way?

I have now attended approximately 4 State Championships in my time and I always come away from each with a bad taste in my mouth over the format of the Competition. I understand and take on board the fact that junior players are only permitted to play 100 minutes of rugby each day, however how can the NSWJRU's self proclaimed 'SHOW PIECE' ever be representative of a proper competiton when the teams in each pool are not given an opportunity to play all of the others in the same pool? I have a suggestion! Dispense with the Regional Championship over a July school holiday's weekend but hold a State Championship over a whole week of the said holidays.

Such a format would give ample opportunity for each pool team to play the others within their draw which would dispense with the often unfair 'For' and 'Against' that has to seperate more than two teams on equal points (especially where one of the teams has had a bye and given 20 points). Such a format could also introduce Quarter Finals, which would dispense with the numerous complaints when pools are percieved as being unequal. With the top four teams in each pool going through any perceptions of inequality would be addressed in the knock-out finals stage (i.e. where a weak pool delivers teams to the semi-finals where it is commonly held view that the other pool had much stronger teams that were not able to get through). Most importantly at the end of the carnival all boys should have theoretically played enough games from which selectors can pick the respective SJRU and Country rep teams. This would inject an element of consistency where potentially great players would be able to overcome a one (or two) off bad game.

I know there will be some of you that will say that families tend to go away for the holidays, or that it is too much rugby, and in response I would say this. Firstly no self respecting rugby family would ever let a holiday come in the way of a rugby tournament (that is what the other week is for). Secondly, increase the squad sizes to 25 to allow for the resting of players. Additionally there will be others that will say the cost to families (particulalrly those travelling from rural NSW) will be overly onerous. In response I would state that such families bear the the same overall cost anyway. Just add both the State (2-3 days) and Regional (3 days) Championship together.

Better still, perhaps 'Possibles' and 'Probables' teams could be selected from such a Championship, with such teams playing at a later date (i.e. a week or two prior to the City v Country game). This would allow for players who have sustained injuries over the week to recover from the same. Such a game would also allow for those players who never had an opportunity to shine as a result of being in a weaker district team (these would be the players that selectors recognised something special in but needed to see more, or the player came with high recommondations from their club/district coach).

What are your thoughts!

Regards,

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I understand and take on board the fact that junior players are only permitted to play 100 minutes of rugby each day, however how can the NSWJRU's self proclaimed 'SHOW PIECE' ever be representative of a proper competiton when the teams in each pool are not given an opportunity to play all of the others in the same pool? I have a suggestion! Dispense with the Regional Championship over a July school holiday's weekend but hold a State Championship over a whole week of the said holidays.

What are your thoughts!

Regards,

Many things to consider here -

Until recently ie 2 years ago, U16 & U17 played across 5 or sundays - that didn't work either.

Many competitions (Green shield cricket & NSWDCA cricket are just 2 examples) have successful competitions where not every team plays every other. Funny thing - for all the grumbles along the way, typically you get the best team proclaimed champion.

It's hard enough to round up sufficient volunteers, ground marshalls, referees, TJs and the like for the long weekend - you make it a work day event and you just made a hard job harder.

Selections - for the MWZ, MSZ & MNZ teams they have an idea of what to expect - they may turn up with a blank selection sheet, but a few names get marked in more quickly than others. It is the regionals where they are unfettered by crowning a champion, that they are able across 2 or 3 days to have each team play each other and see players in head to head situations - the regionals are after all SJRU trials, not a championship.
MOTH

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
How Fair Is That Selection Method?

My understanding of the process is that North, South and West all get to choose a 1 to 15, then Barbarians get to pick the next 1 to 15 from all 3 zones. After that, North, South and West pick 16 to 23, then Barbarians get what's left. This will explain some of the names you see in that list.

Thanks for the explanation. I have been scratching my head wondering how on earth the selections are made! Given that it appears Eastwood seem to have some sort of hold on the selections where half the team come from their region yet they failed to even reach the semi-final of their pool. Whatever happened to "Best in form player" gets selected? Apologise if I am speaking out of turn here no offence intended to the players, just the process.

C

cold coffee

Many things to consider here -

Until recently ie 2 years ago, U16 & U17 played across 5 or sundays - that didn't work either.

Many competitions (Green shield cricket & NSWDCA cricket are just 2 examples) have successful competitions where not every team plays every other. Funny thing - for all the grumbles along the way, typically you get the best team proclaimed champion.

It's hard enough to round up sufficient volunteers, ground marshalls, referees, TJs and the like for the long weekend - you make it a work day event and you just made a hard job harder.

Selections - for the MWZ, MSZ & MNZ teams they have an idea of what to expect - they may turn up with a blank selection sheet, but a few names get marked in more quickly than others. It is the regionals where they are unfettered by crowning a champion, that they are able across 2 or 3 days to have each team play each other and see players in head to head situations - the regionals are after all SJRU trials, not a championship.
MOTH

Moth- To your knowledge - Do the selectors in each region follow a similar process when making selections. Another way to ask this question is- In your opinion are they all consistent? The reason I ask is .. Newbie added an earlier comment to his surprise (and many others) the rationale of the MWZ selection. Hope you can help..

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks for the explanation. I have been scratching my head wondering how on earth the selections are made! Given that it appears Eastwood seem to have some sort of hold on the selections where half the team come from their region yet they failed to even reach the semi-final of their pool. Whatever happened to "Best in form player" gets selected? Apologise if I am speaking out of turn here no offence intended to the players, just the process.

I noticed that too - 10 Eastwood players out of 23 in the MWZ team. I'm told (but haven't verified) that 7 of the 10 are from the one junior club also?

C

cold coffee

I noticed that too - 10 Eastwood players out of 23 in the MWZ team. I'm told (but haven't verified) that 7 of the 10 are from the one junior club also?

And they are running 6th in a Div 1 comp... out of 8 teams (if my info is correct)

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
You could run all sorts of conspiracy theories if you wanted...

How all but 3 of the Barbarians side are from the two coaches' Western and Southern Zones...

How there are 14 B grade club players compared to 9 A grade club players in Met South...

How Northern Zone has more players from the beaten semi-finalists than the winners...

Alternatively, how Northern Zone has 6 C grade club players, 7 B grade club players as opposed to only 10 A graders.

It is what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.