• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NTS players in the Australian and Australian A schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
I am aware that there is a number of NTS players in the current Australian and Australian A schools teams. Although I have never seen any official list of these players, I have heard that quite a few have been selected. Can any of the followers confirm the players that are in fact in the NTS squad?

C

catchpole

CHS 72,

The QRU website publishes a list of NTS players dated approximately November 2009.

However, I have never seen one for NSW.

T

the berries

Can I ask why do you ask such a question. I can't see any reason , other than stastics which may be raised at a later junction. Don't get me wrong I am not be argumentative. But what has the NTS really got ?
cheers

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can I ask why do you ask such a question. I can't see any reason , other than stastics which may be raised at a later junction. Don't get me wrong I am not be argumentative. But what has the NTS really got ?
cheers

Dude edit your post. I think he is wondering who have the ARU spent money on, and whether this translated to selection. Rob call Manu and he will fax you a list.

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
Yo lily, you are switched on. I am interested in knowing who, in this age group, has had the benifit of ARU coaching and therefore enhancement. Obviously the other boys were not perceived as having the "potential for excellence" to spend limited resources polishing their skills.
How and by who, were they spotted?
I don't believe this is a post whithout merit, as there where a truck load of players that gave their all, throughout the trials, only to miss out to players that were not showing any more than they, in fact, were showing themselves.

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
1. Gary Neugebaur (Hale)
1. Jed Gillespie (Kings) - NTS
2. Hugh Roach (New)- NTS
2. Maile Ngaumo (IGS)
3. Guy Millar (Kings) - NTS
3. Rhys Brodie (SACS)
4/5. Steve Cummins (Hills SHS) - NTS
4/5. Sam Reiser (GT)
4/5/6. Curtis Browning (BSHS - NTS
6. Boyd Killingworth (Kings) - NTS
7. Tom Connor (Kings) - NTS
8. Tom Cusack (Marist College) - NTS
8. Joel Luani (New)
9. Tim Duchesne (Knox)
9. Tim Donlan (View)
10. Dion Taumata (Keebra Park) - NTS
10. Ed Wylie (Kings)
12. Apo Latinupulu (New)
13. Chris F' Sautia (BSHS) - NTS
11/14. Lindsay Crook (TSS)
11/14. Walter Petaia (BSHS)
15. Lewis Holland (St. Eddies) - NTS
13. Malietoa Hingano (St Aug) - NTS

These are some players that I am pretty sure are NTS enhanced. Does anyone else have information?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
my understanding is that the major portion each year is from the 16's NSW trials, last year I believe that ALL the NSW 16 reps were invited together with a selection of kids that played for the sydney side.They can also be nominated by their school coaches i believe.
Having said that, they are on a trial for about 6 weeks & the NTS guys then decide who stays & who doesn't.
.............I think

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am aware that there is a number of NTS players in the current Australian and Australian A schools teams. Although I have never seen any official list of these players, I have heard that quite a few have been selected. Can any of the followers confirm the players that are in fact in the NTS squad?

There are 4 NSW NTS players in Aus A - Dombkins, Goodman, Ingate and Wessels

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
AUSTRALIA A SQUAD TO PLAY FIJI ON 4TH SEPTEMBER IN SYDNEY

Jay Adkins St Joseph’s Nudgee College CS

Michael Bermingham Brisbane Grammar School QLD 1 - NTS

Jack Bridges St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD 1

Blake Cullen Ipswich Grammar School CS

Grant Davies Brisbane Grammar School QLD 1

Rhys Dombkins St Augustine's College NSW 1 - NTS

Stuart Goodman Barker College NSW 1 - NTS

Jed Holloway Waverley College NSW 1

Oliver Hoskins Scotch College WA

Stephen Hunt St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 2 - NTS

Chris Ingate The Kings School NSW 2 - NTS

Luke Keary Oakhill College NSW 1

James Klassen Villanova College QLD 2 - NTS

Benn Melrose The Kings School NSW 2

Andy Molimau Morrabin VIC

Elijah Palupe Brisbane State High School QLD 1

Cameron Patrick Mountain Creek HS QLD 2

Giorgio Phillips St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1

Andrew Ready St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD 2

Tim Reid The Kings School CS

Joseph Swan Brisbane State High School QLD 2

Lausii Taliauli The Southport School QLD 2

Waldo Wessels Endeavour SHS NSW 1 - NTS

John Fitzgerald Manager QLD

Jarred Hodges Coach NSW

Tim Rapp Asst Coach NSW

Tom Lombardo Physiotherapist NSW

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
This exercise proves two things to me. Firstly NTS talent identification seems on the ball with many selected in the rep sides. Secondly, there are many non-NTS players also selected. Look at someone like Benn Melrose from The Kings School and NSW 2. He got selected and with his pedigree was not even on the NTS.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This exercise proves two things to me. Firstly NTS talent identification seems on the ball with many selected in the rep sides. Secondly, there are many non-NTS players also selected. Look at someone like Benn Melrose from The Kings School and NSW 2. He got selected and with his pedigree was not even on the NTS.

Not all players who receive an invite to participate in the NTS take the offer up. So even though they are not involved in the programme doesn't mean they haven't had the opportunity or were not identified by the ARU in the past and are still highly thought of. Another reason is that at the age of 16 when most of the players are identified the person now achieving some success may not have been playing up to their current standard

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Not all players who receive an invite to participate in the NTS take the offer up. So even though they are not involved in the programme doesn't mean they haven't had the opportunity or were not identified by the ARU in the past and are still highly thought of. Another reason is that at the age of 16 when most of the players are identified the person now achieving some success may not have been playing up to their current standard

Apparently Roach was offered NTS but declined due to his rowing commitments

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This exercise proves two things to me. Firstly NTS talent identification seems on the ball with many selected in the rep sides.

To the extent that those running the NTS program have any input into the selection process at state or national level this is an unsurprising outcome. I have no knowledge of whether this is the case but would assume so.

Additionally the fact that the NTS trainees have had "the benefit of ARU coaching and therefore enhancement", as CHS 72 points out, gives them an obvious advantage over kids not exposed to professional standard coaching.

O

Overseer

To the extent that those running the NTS program have any input into the selection process at state or national level this is an unsurprising outcome. I have no knowledge of whether this is the case but would assume so.
Additionally the fact that the NTS trainees have had "the benefit of ARU coaching and therefore enhancement", as CHS 72 points out, gives them an obvious advantage over kids not exposed to professional standard coaching.

There are some additional players in the Oz schools not mentiioned in the NTs.
The Qld NTS team are asked for an opinion buttheir input in selection of the Qld schools team is limited to just that. In the past their presence at selection meetings has been quite 'not welcome'.

F

Finland Fella

So what is NTS ? Sounds like a sort of chosen few posse ... is that right ?

O

Overseer

So what is NTS ? Sounds like a sort of chosen few posse ... is that right ?
Around the time of the Nat 16's the NTS people from each state selct a few players whom they feel have the 'right stuff'.
Some go on to greater things, some have already peaked and so are so so.
They review the selections every 6 months or so and those in the state squads receive professional training on a weekly and sometimes twics a week basis from the NTS coaches who all come under the ARU and reports are sent to the ARU on a regular basis for the players in the squads.
EG: James Slipper was never in the NTS and other notable players have been overlooked so it is in no way a conclusive list of competant players.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
NTS is the ARU's National Talent Squad. These are players who have been identified as having some potential for a future in the game. They are identified from tournaments conducted in the 15 and 16 years age group both at school and club level. They are included in the programme up until part way through their last year at school, when the older boys are released to concentrate on thier final year exams. There is a squad of players in most states and the ACT. They participate in training sessions up to three times a week during summer months and to a much lesser number during the rugby season. The coaches are all members of the ARU's High performance Coaching staff

O

Overseer

NTS is the ARU's National Talent Squad. These are players who have been identified as having some potential for a future in the game. They are identified from tournaments conducted in the 15 and 16 years age group both at school and club level. They are included in the programme up until part way through their last year at school, when the older boys are released to concentrate on thier final year exams. There is a squad of players in most states and the ACT. They participate in training sessions up to three times a week during summer months and to a much lesser number during the rugby season. The coaches are all members of the ARU's High performance Coaching staff
Didn't I just say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.