• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nucifora - Next Wobs Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's not up to the reds. Ewen is already moving on to a made up position, one designed to allow succession planning but also allow him to move onto the wallabies job without great interruption.

Jim is the best administrator of a super rugby team based on current success. The ARU job is available next year, it's really up to his ambition.

It isn't about the reds pushing for it to benefit them, it's about men with ambition and talent taking opportunity.
Which negates your power struggle theory, I would have thought.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It's not up to the reds. Ewen is already moving on to a made up position, one designed to allow succession planning but also allow him to move onto the wallabies job without great interruption.

I take Link at his word here. He is wanting to set up the Reds similar to the Pro teams in Europe. Implementing such a structure is different to building himself a job where he can step off to the Wobs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I take Link at his word here. He is wanting to set up the Reds similar to the Pro teams in Europe. Implementing such a structure is different to building himself a job where he can step off to the Wobs.
and things have moved on since this plan was unveiled

T

TOCC

Jim is the best administrator of a super rugby team based on current success. The ARU job is available next year, it's really up to his ambition.

It isn't about the reds pushing for it to benefit them, it's about men with ambition and talent taking opportunity.

Lol, this is where you have your wires crossed... For Jim and Ewen both to leave to the Reds before the 2013 season it would be interpreted quite negatively. Jim especially needs the political support of the QRU and given the Reds representation at test level, Ewen also needs player support.

This 'takeover' is political BS, it won't happen before the 2013 season.. If it happens after then so be it, they have served their 4 years and turned the code around.

WJ you live to insinuate that the house is falling apart at Ballymore... It's not the case..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I actually believe politically Quade's outbursts has made it much more difficult for Link to be selected in the short term.

If Quade had shut up and we lost badly in SA (tick) and Argentina (a distinct maybe) Link could have been taking the Wobs to Europe. But now? if they choose him it gives team disunity too much power the next time things aren't going right.

Nuci? meh, done nothing, won nothing, succeeded no where

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For the record, Jim Carmichael is the best candidate for the position currently in Australian rugby, I would support him taking the role in 2014..
but not before?
Is that because you don't want to lose him or you don't think there's any need for a change at that level?
(or I guess because you don't think there will be a change at that level)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I actually believe politically Quade's outbursts has made it much more difficult for Link to be selected in the short term.

If Quade had shut up and we lost badly in SA (tick) and Argentina (a distinct maybe) Link could have been taking the Wobs to Europe. But now? if they choose him it gives team disunity too much power the next time things aren't going right.

Nuci? meh, done nothing, won nothing, succeeded no where

Doesn't Nuci have a super title with the Brumbies and the Blues?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
TT has to be in the mix as well, hand picked by JO'N. If JO'N survives it will continue to be done his way.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The thought of having 'Smithers' at the helm is disheartening. If Robbie goes and the ARU appoint Smithers to the head coaching position, in my opinion it will be clear that the powers that be clearly do not have the interests of the game at heart.

On the surface, there does appear to be a feud between JON and Link. Idle speculation, but I can't help but wonder whether the extension of Robbie's contract was to keep Link away from the top job. Coincidental that both Robbie's and JON's contracts expire at approximately the same time. So by the time Link assumes the top job, JON has gone and couldn't care less who the new setup appoint. All tin foil hat stuff, but interesting nonetheless.

All the more interesting considering JON's strange outbursts earlier in the year, as reported by Jamie Pandaram in the Daily Telegraph:

DOMESTIC coaches must stop "campaigning" for the Wallabies' top job, ARU boss John O'Neill has declared.

Speculation has been rife over the future of incumbent Australian coach Robbie Deans and the impact of Ewen McKenzie's contract extension with Queensland, but O'Neill said it was "pointless" to theorise on movements beyond the next two years.

"It is pointless to be campaigning when you should be concentrating on your day job. Those who employ him would be disappointed," said O'Neill, who failed to pinpoint anybody specifically. "There is no use beating the tom-tom drums for something two years away."

Deans is contracted until the end of 2013 and his future has been hotly debated after the Wallabies were soundly beaten in the World Cup semi-final by eventual champions New Zealand. Much criticism has centred on the ARU's decision to re-sign Deans before the tournament.

Read the full story here.

T

TOCC

but not before?
Is that because you don't want to lose him or you don't think there's any need for a change at that level?
(or I guess because you don't think there will be a change at that level)

JON has already instigated the structural and governance review of the ARU, this has bought himself time, no doubt the results of this review as subsequent recommendations will only be released in the months prior to JON's contract been up for renewal.. Giving himself enough time to instigate some of the recommendations or alternatively handing the reigns to a appointed successor to fill the role.

NSWRU has little political leverage at the moment with recent Waratahs salary cap issues and the organizations high turnover leaving them with little leveraging power. However they aren't going to water down their political power further by supporting QLD representatives in the top ARU roles. They do after all hold the majority share of voting preference.

The other issue is that JON, Ewen, Robbie and Jim Carmichael all have time running on their contracts with significant sums of money involved. It would require a major catalyst to instigate release from contracts or been torn up.

From a QRU perspective, Jim and Ewen recognize they are in a good wicket, they have free reign over how the game is run in the state. They would want to achieve similar latitude at ARU level which won't happen in the current structure. Ewen won't work under JON, and JON won't be getting sacked anytime soon..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
../snip/...

NSWRU has little political leverage at the moment with recent Waratahs salary cap issues
.../snip/.....

Bugger, Did I miss the big announcement confirming it was the tahs?

If so, is there a link to any announcements or is this another "Radio" like teaser?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Nuci's record as a SuperRugby Coach:

Brumbies
2001 (Eddie Jones) top of table; winners
2002 - 3rd in table, runners-up
2003 - 4th on table; lost semi
2004 - top of table; winners
2005 (Laurie Fisher) - 5th

Blues
2005 (Peter Sloane) 7th
2006 - 8th
2007 - 4th on table; lost semi
2008 - 6th
2009 (Pat Lam) 9th

So, he pretty much keeps teams where they are.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Lol, this is where you have your wires crossed. For Jim and Ewen both to leave to the Reds before the 2013 season it would be interpreted quite negatively. Jim especially needs the political support of the QRU and given the Reds representation at test level, Ewen also needs player support.

This 'takeover' is political BS, it won't happen before the 2013 season.. If it happens after then so be it, they have served their 4 years and turned the code around.

WJ you live to insinuate that the house is falling apart at Ballymore. It's not the case..

Please read what I wrote before bagging me TOCC.

The ARU job isn't available til next year, where did I say Jim was leaving the reds now?

Link can leave whenever he wants, he has donee his time and you have a head coach ready to take over.

I never said the house was falling apart at the reds. Never once , I'm not sure how calling Jim the best administrator in the game and backing even to be wallabies coach is means for you to believe that.

I have already apologized for saying it was reds v ARU, that was a generalization. There is a political split along state lines. There isn't a takeover as the ARU job is becoming available, it's about people applying for it and people trying to prevent them from having it and promoting others.

Please feel free to say you don't agree but stop pitting BS in my mouth. The reds are the best current run side in Aus rugby, I'm not dragging them down, I'm reporting information I'm (and others are aware of) maybe you are a bit paranoid.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
NSWRU has little political leverage at the moment with recent Waratahs salary cap issues and the organizations high turnover leaving them with little leveraging power. However they aren't going to water down their political power further by supporting QLD representatives in the top ARU roles. They do after all hold the majority share of voting preference.

NSWRU don't run the Tahs, the salary cap issue will not affect them at all. It will affect Tahs InC.

J

Jiggles

WJ do you think Link would even want the job considering what is going on? I can only imagine he would only take the job under the condition that he has final say on everything to do with the Wallabies and player development, which probably means bye bye Nucifora. Realistically that happening with Big JON still around is not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.