• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nucifora - Next Wobs Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting article from before JoN came back;

Rugby running last
By Peter Jenkins
December 16, 2006 12:00
http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/ ... 23,00.html

FORMER rugby union supremo John O'Neill last night delivered the brutal assessment that his former sport was in the doldrums and losing the war of the four major football codes.

During an explosive interview with The Daily Telegraph, he also claimed there were key figures in the Australian Rugby Union who had effectively blocked any prospect of him returning to help the game.

O'Neill, 55, broke a three-year silence on rugby union's standing in the marketplace as he announced his first job outside sports administration since 1995, a fulltime executive role with the STW Group.

"AFL dominates the domestic landscape, it's the NFL of Australia," O'Neill said when asked to list a pecking order of the codes. "It's followed by rugby league which is starting to build an international presence again. The Tri-Nations series this year was fantastic. The NRL is also magnificently entertaining and showing resilience beyond belief.

"In the after-glow of the World Cup and the A-League you would, by a lot of measures, have football at No. 3 and rugby union at No. 4.

"As constructive criticism, I think rugby's position has slipped considerably in recent years.

"The win-loss ratio of the Wallabies is clearly a barometer you just can't hide from. There's not too many trophies in the cabinet.

"But on-field performances are only part of it. You also need a highly competent board and management team who can extract every benefit out of what the team is doing."

O'Neill said he was staggered when Wallabies coach John Connolly returned from Europe saying there were no negatives from the November tour.

"I can't count the number of people who have stopped me to say it's one of the most ludicrous things they've ever heard," he said.

"And it tells you about the state of rugby union's psychology.

"They're not seeing the world as it is, they're seeing it how they would like it to be. Rather than doing self-assessments they ought to get some independent views about how they're travelling."

There has been a behind-the-scenes push to lure O'Neill back as ARU chairman. O'Neill said he had been "unofficially" sounded out, had never campaigned for the post, would only take the role by invitation and was not interested in his former chief executive job now held by Gary Flowers.

But he has all but ruled out a return after speaking with an ARU director on Thursday night.

"I've heard from one of them overnight and after reading the comments of Gary Flowers, it's clear they'd only welcome me back if I go through the system," said O'Neill.

"If you want to take it to the nth degree, it could mean go back to club land, join the board of Easts, hope to get on the board of the NSW Rugby Union and then the board of the ARU. "That's ludicrous. It's actually quite insulting for someone of my background and credentials.

"I brought (IAG boss and former Wallaby) Michael Hawker straight on to the board and he was one of our more outstanding directors.

"That wasn't about who's got the oldest blazer. We said 'who's the best person' and appointed him.

"But I think there are people on the board of the ARU and one person behind the scenes – a former ARU director – who simply don't want me back involved.

"They may have had some differences of opinion with me in the past or simply see me as a threat to their own ambitions.

"So I don't believe an invitation will be forthcoming. I honestly don't think they believe they're in a sufficiently severe state of distress to need someone of my background, credibility and experience.

"As for whether they are, I'll leave that for others to judge."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
there were key figures in the Australian Rugby Union who had effectively blocked any prospect of him returning to help the game.

"The win-loss ratio of the Wallabies is clearly a barometer you just can't hide from. There's not too many trophies in the cabinet.

"But on-field performances are only part of it. You also need a highly competent board and management team who can extract every benefit out of what the team is doing."

O'Neill said he was staggered when Wallabies coach John Connolly returned from Europe saying there were no negatives from the November tour.

"I can't count the number of people who have stopped me to say it's one of the most ludicrous things they've ever heard," he said.

"If you want to take it to the nth degree, it could mean go back to club land, join the board of Easts, hope to get on the board of the NSW Rugby Union and then the board of the ARU. "That's ludicrous. It's actually quite insulting for someone of my background and credentials.

"I brought (IAG boss and former Wallaby) Michael Hawker straight on to the board and he was one of our more outstanding directors.

"That wasn't about who's got the oldest blazer. We said 'who's the best person' and appointed him.

How's the barometer Jon, just give it a tap...shit not that hard....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If Nuci becomes Wallaby coach I won't be going any games, that's for sure. The man has done very little in his career so far to suggest that he's the right coach, given the level of acrimony that has accompanied his departure from the Brumbies and Blues, as well as the drop in performance of the U/20's team.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If Nuci becomes Wallaby coach I won't be going any games, that's for sure. The man has done very little in his career so far to suggest that he's the right coach, given the level of acrimony that has accompanied his departure from the Brumbies and Blues, as well as the drop in performance of the U/20's team.

Whoever is coach the good thing is the results and attitude of the team will speak of there success/failure. Not picking but its upsetting to hear people say they want support the team because of an individual. If we end up doing that the terrorists/Quade will have won.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Whoever is coach the good thing is the results and attitude of the team will speak of there success/failure. Not picking but its upsetting to hear people say they want support the team because of an individual. If we end up doing that the terrorists/Quade will have won.

Didn't say I wouldn't support them, just that I wouldn't be parting with any my money to watch them. Call it a boycott of the ARU if you like. I will always support my team and hope they do well, but given that we don't have a voice with the management of the game the only way I can voice my disgust is with my wallet.

Anyway, it hasn't happened yet and you'd have to believe that common sense would prevail. Nuci's CV is not even close to what I would consider adequate to coach our flagship team.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but everything you say about Quade is pretty negative. Everything that is shit gets hitched to QC (Quade Cooper)'s wagon. Can you PLEASE move on from that. It's blatantly obvious how you feel about him and I for one skip a lot of what you write because of this and thats a shame because you do make some good points.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
It would be interesting to see which attack coach Link would appoint if given the Wallabies duties. Would he go with Jim McKay (double blow to the Reds) or get the likes of Phil Mooney or his former 'tahs assistant Todd Louden? I for one hope he gets it so my question would be answered.... as well as I think he has done enough to earn the honour of selection as Wallaby coach.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but everything you say about Quade is pretty negative. Everything that is shit gets hitched to QC (Quade Cooper)'s wagon. Can you PLEASE move on from that. It's blatantly obvious how you feel about him and I for one skip a lot of what you write because of this and thats a shame because you do make some good points.

The absourtity Of the comment the Quade was a terrorist was an attempt at humor, just chill out, your reading into things that aren't there.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Rugby running last
By Peter Jenkins
http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/ . 23,00.html

FORMER rugby union supremo John O'Neill last night delivered the brutal assessment that his former sport was in the doldrums and losing the war of the four major football codes.

During an explosive interview with The Daily Telegraph, he also claimed there were key figures in the Australian Rugby Union who had effectively blocked any prospect of him returning to help the game.

O'Neill, 55, broke a three-year silence on rugby union's standing in the marketplace as he announced his first job outside sports administration since 1995, a fulltime executive role with the STW Group.

"AFL dominates the domestic landscape, it's the NFL of Australia," O'Neill said when asked to list a pecking order of the codes. "It's followed by rugby league which is starting to build an international presence again. The Tri-Nations series this year was fantastic. The NRL is also magnificently entertaining and showing resilience beyond belief.

"In the after-glow of the World Cup and the A-League you would, by a lot of measures, have football at No. 3 and rugby union at No. 4.

"As constructive criticism, I think rugby's position has slipped considerably in recent years.

"They're not seeing the world as it is, they're seeing it how they would like it to be. Rather than doing self-assessments they ought to get some independent views about how they're travelling."
"So I don't believe an invitation will be forthcoming. I honestly don't think they believe they're in a sufficiently severe state of distress to need someone of my background, credibility and experience. ......"

(My highlights above).

WJ, we're indebted to you for digging this 2006 piece up.

Here we are 6 years later, JO'N's now been at the ARU for roughly 12 years in two lots. It's clear from the above that in this piece JO'N was out to undermine Flowers and pitch for his own imminent return as ARU CEO.

Given the state of the game in Aus 6 years on, and 5 years after JON's return as ARU CEO, no further comment is needed other than how perfectly reasonable it is for any party to today judge JON's 2012 ARU on the very criteria, and perspective re the code's status and essential improvement required, that he himself outlined so vividly in 2006.

D

daz

Rugby running last
By Peter Jenkins
http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/ . 23,00.html

"[snip] I'll leave that for others to judge."

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Simple test for you, JON: Read your comments above and apply them to the current situation you have created. See any similarities, or is your ego and arrogance blinding you?

Don't worry about the last bit; we are doing plenty of that already.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Everybody who is giving out about Deans as he is the head coach, all the bad results have started since Tony McGahan moved from Munster where he failed to the Walllabies. I am a Munster fan and was glad to see the back of this man, he left Munster the only coach to fail to get them through to the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup, the first coach to lose a home game in the Heineken Cup. The only trophy he picked up was the league when they got knocked out as he didn't have to rest squad memebers anymore.

Yes, big Jim Williams worked coming from being a assistant at Munster, but why would you put a failing Head coach into your team of guys who you have help to prepare a International team?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Everybody who is giving out about Deans as he is the head coach, all the bad results have started since Tony McGahan moved from Munster where he failed to the Walllabies. I am a Munster fan and was glad to see the back of this man, he left Munster the only coach to fail to get them through to the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup, the first coach to lose a home game in the Heineken Cup. The only trophy he picked up was the league when they got knocked out as he didn't have to rest squad memebers anymore.

Yes, big Jim Williams worked coming from being a assistant at Munster, but why would you put a failing Head coach into your team of guys who you have help to prepare a International team?

We call him Totality Tony or TT for short. Because he announced he got the job of being responsible for the totality of rugby in Australia. JO'N said he'd be an assistant coach.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This reads like sour grapes, KevinO. Your mob let Totality slip through their fingers. You acknowledge that he achieved a couple of historic milestones:
  • "the only coach to fail to get them through to the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup"
  • "the first coach to lose a home game in the Heineken Cup"
things for which he will no doubt be long remembered in Munster. But then you make light of the fact that "the only trophy he picked up was the league", which at least demonstrates you understand the position of the League in the pantheon of world rugby.

One of the main reasons that Totality was recruited was because of John O'Neill's shrewd perception that we Australians have an unhealthy preoccupation with winning. The first step in purging this obsession was to recruit Robbie Deans, but even he was not up to the task on his own, hence the appeal to Totality's sense of patriotism. Any benefit that Munster might have derived from TT coming home was an unintended consequence.

The pairing of TT and RD is already starting to pay dividends. Last Saturday's Springbok Test will be long remembered. We are finding entirely new and innovative ways to produce results that few of us could have anticipated.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
This reads like sour grapes, KevinO. Your mob let Totality slip through their fingers. You acknowledge that he achieved a couple of historic milestones:
  • "the only coach to fail to get them through to the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup"
  • "the first coach to lose a home game in the Heineken Cup"
things for which he will no doubt be long remembered in Munster. But then you make light of the fact that "the only trophy he picked up was the league", which at least demonstrates you understand the position of the League in the pantheon of world rugby.

One of the main reasons that Totality was recruited was because of John O'Neill's shrewd perception that we Australians have an unhealthy preoccupation with winning. The first step in purging this obsession was to recruit Robbie Deans, but even he was not up to the task on his own, hence the appeal to Totality's sense of patriotism. Any benefit that Munster might have derived from TT coming home was an unintended consequence.

The pairing of TT and RD is already starting to pay dividends. Last Saturday's Springbok Test will be long remembered. We are finding entirely new and innovative ways to produce results that few of us could have anticipated.

Bruce, as I always do, I have pondered your words deeply and something has struck me. The current state of affairs all seems very formulaic, the Wobs form, the disharmony, the injuries, the rest of the world getting better than us. It is playing out like a Hollywood blockbuster.

Indulge me for just a second, the Wobs get their arses kicked all the way up to the last play of the 2015 Wold Cup final. Quade with his last breadth, passes a miracle ball, Beale in the corner. Wobs down by one point. A bloodied and broken JO'C is thrown the ball,
As he begins his approach he whispers in raspy voice "yippie kay yay mother fucker", the ball sails through the sticks, the lights all explode, emergency response teams appear in fire trucks handing out thick blankets to all the Wobs and the Blecks players look totally humiliated.

The hero has a rough journey but prevails. How far off the mark am I?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bruce, as I always do, I have pondered your words deeply and something has struck me. The current state of affairs all seems very formulaic, the Wobs form, the disharmony, the injuries, the rest of the world getting better than us. It is playing out like a Hollywood blockbuster.

Indulge me for just a second, the Wobs get their arses kicked all the way up to the last play of the 2015 Wold Cup final. Quade with his last breadth, passes a miracle ball, Beale in the corner. Wobs down by one point. A bloodied and broken JO'C is thrown the ball,
As he begins his approach he whispers in raspy voice "yippie kay yay mother fucker", the ball sails through the sticks, the lights all explode, emergency response teams appear in fire trucks handing out thick blankets to all the Wobs and the Blecks players look totally humiliated.

The hero has a rough journey but prevails. How far off the mark am I?
kevin Costner playing JOC (James O'Connor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.