• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Landers jammed down their own end the whole half but Bleus getting bored and sloppy. The southern pricks never give up, could easily see them coming back.

IF they score first, sure, they're right back in the fight but if Loss Bleus score first I can see them putting 50 on the board as they have by far the better bench (halfback excepted).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Da fuck? Three guys under the ball, two pull out & one of them gets pinged for getting out of his mate's way. That's fucked up.

Edit: note that the guy who catches the ball clatters into the guy who ran into the guy who "changed his line". Well of course he changed his line 'cos if he doesn't it's him who gets run into which possibly constitutes an accidental offside (assuming the officials are using the same Law book as the rest of us, something I'm no longer 100% sure of).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Worry not friends. I'm sure the officials will find an offence from an EPL match in England, in 1982, to penalise the Blues for and deny the try.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bit of a random yellow card considering similar penalties on the five metre line didn't garner the same result. But who cares. We defeated the officials. Fraser is just having a tanty about it.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Darry was good on debut. Nothing amazing but still great for a 20 year old. Was great to see him really tower over the Highlanders at some of the linouts. His charge down looked exactly like a Retallicka play. Like to see him retain his starting spot for the Crusaders. Long term he'll need at least an extra 5kgs, probably closer to 10 for test rugby. Frizell must be pretty bummed having to endure a front row seat to Akira ending his test aspirations. Hopefully Grace is back for next weeks match so we can get a more equal clash at blindside. Papali'i really is a built for test rugby. Nice and physical. Am really starting to go cold on Ardie as a test starter and would love to see Papali'i get more opportunities at All Blacks level. Indeed, all three of the Blues loosies are well suited to test rugby. Coventry is doing good stuff with the forwards.

Plummer isn't the most popular player but thought he was good too. Probably his best match for the Blues. Would still have Faiane starting if he were available, but Plummer was good. Goodhue (last year) and Laumape didn't make a dent against him, so he at least has the starch to defend there against hard runners. Hopefully he can develop into a viable alternative to Faiane when a more tactical/greater kicking game is required. Would like to see Narawa start next week, as Tele'a has been quiet this year (that one great run against the Hurricanes aside), and was absolutely exposed under the high ball by the Crusaders last season. If he hasn't sorted that then the Crusaders will absolutely hone in on him again.

Also, fuck you Mike Fraser and whoever the TMO was.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agreed on Plummer. He was very good. One positive he has over Faiane is bulk - he's much bigger.

The TMO was the same guy who blundered last night as TMO in Crusaders v Chiefs game. Paul Williams. Talk about a shocking weekend for him.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Weirdly I was getting bored during the match. Some Blues seemed to be clocking in and out mentally and even with a zillion subs looked knackered after 65 mins.

Darry was great, played whole 80, keen, into it. Showed up poor old Paper Tiger Pat thats for sure. Given his Cantab breeding, would be only fair he is Cameron Cantafast-tracked into AB set-up

Kind of amazed at Narawa, with a metre start and a clear run in to tryline, got quickly run down by a centre.

These forensic TMO's have to go. What a total lottery. They have ONE job to do so how do they conspire to fuck it up a good solid 50% of the time? Are they even aware that people are at the stadium and in front of tellies to actually watch the thilling spectacle of Blues rugby?

"Mike, cancel that thrilling try, let's go back 3 minutes and 80 metres upfield for Crossword Frizzle running into some poor prick and falling over off camera LOL how did this guy ever get trotted out for 17 AB tests during the last 2 years haha".
"Excellent spot, Paul. God I hate rugby, let's ruin as much of it as we can".

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That was a brilliant watch.

Darry was wonderful on debut.

Poor Rieko got dudded a magnificent try.

The Blues starting loose forward trio was sensational.

great game by Blues, but a disagree with Blues supporters on Ioane's try, f*** who thinks it came out of back of hand, that ball never went backwards at any stage and he caught it 10 metres in front of where Akira passed it!
By the way thought Akira went well again. And Darry where to Canterbury keep finding these buggers, he still in nappies 2.02m tall and seems he may turn out fairly good in a year or two if he keeps going. Much too early to tell after just one game but.............

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
The rule is not about the ball itself - it's about if you throw it forwards

Leon put it perfectly

Leon MacDonald explained the crux of the issue as he saw it.

“When you’re running full speed like Aki was and you let rip, the ball is always going to travel forward. That’s just physics. I did listen a little bit at school. So just looking at the start point and finish point is not the way to look at it."

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
that ball never went backwards at any stage

giphy.gif

It's the rugby forum equivalent of the "could/couldnt" care less argument. Both sides entrenched and deaf to the other side's "reason"

The call was not only anti-Blues it was also anti-rugby. Possibly also anti-life. Definitely anti-physics. I'm starting to think Mike Fraser might be fucking french.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The rule is not about the ball itself - it's about if you throw it forwards

Leon put it perfectly

Leon MacDonald explained the crux of the issue as he saw it.

“When you’re running full speed like Aki was and you let rip, the ball is always going to travel forward. That’s just physics. I did listen a little bit at school. So just looking at the start point and finish point is not the way to look at it."

I know that, but ball has to leave your hand in a backwards motion, looked like he let it go a little early, so it wasn't in a backwards motion. Anyway it didn't make any difference to result so noone hurt. Would of been a pretty good try though;)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sure. It's pretty simple XV to select, given the performance of the teams, so doubt we'll see any real protestations of this unbiased form XV.

1. Whoever the Blues deign to play here
2. That one forward from the Hurricanes who isn't shite
3. Whoever the Blues deign to play here
4. Whoever the Blues deign to play here
5. Whoever the Blues deign to play here
6. AKIRA
7. DALTON
8. HOSKINS
9. One of the Highlanders halfbacks
10. That Cantab
11. Whoever the Blues deign to play here
12. Whoever the Blues deign to play here