• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby Competitions 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Ffs, both teams deserve to lose for this kicking.

All the time in the world, he steps 1 metre past the 22 just to kick it out on the full.

G

galumay

Just finished watching the final, Otago really threw that one away, how many penalties did they miss?? Some awful decision making too. Cant take it away from NH though, they tackled their hearts out and were the more composed when it mattered.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Galumay's summary is spot on. Otago will regret some poor kicking and woeful decision-making but full credit to North Harbour who found some good form over the past few weeks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Gez I enjoyed that game, some of the kicking wasn't flash, but it just reminded me that games can be won by just tearing into it and knocking over anything that moves. I like most that watch Mitre 10 cup continue to be very impressed with Little and like ACR ( and Nisbo on commentary) believe he has the makings of a pretty competent Super player.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I too enjoyed it immensely

quick question tho, the young Gatland fella, any relation?

I kinda decided it was possible, looks like a similar 'square face' but maybe I talked myself into the idea.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep he is son of, he actually almost always lived in NZ, he stayed at boarding school whilst Dad went to Wales to coach. He doesn't look too bad for a youngster either.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, he's a handy 10. But there's a long list of handy or better 10s in NZ so I wonder if his old man will be asking around up in his part of the world.

I wonder that myself 2blues. You couldn't blame him if he did, though I suspect Gats may want the boy to see if he can make it to super rugby.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
A bit off topic, but does anyone think Wanganui would be able to compete in M10 Cup if given the opportunity? Considering they've made 9 out of 11 Meads Cup Finals, winning 4 of them with another to be played, they are the reason I think either single 1 up promotion or promotion relegation should be reintroduced. I'm not sure any Heartland team would be any good at first, but at least to give them a shot to see how they would compete.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wonder that myself 2blues. You couldn't blame him if he did, though I suspect Gats may want the boy to see if he can make it to super rugby.
Oh I'd be surprised if he didn't give Super Rugby a red hot go for a couple of years before looking up north.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A bit off topic, but does anyone think Wanganui would be able to compete in M10 Cup if given the opportunity? Considering they've made 9 out of 11 Meads Cup Finals, winning 4 of them with another to be played, they are the reason I think either single 1 up promotion or promotion relegation should be reintroduced. I'm not sure any Heartland team would be any good at first, but at least to give them a shot to see how they would compete.

Nope Paty, the gap is too big I reckon. 9 out of 11 is great, but I really believe the would get beaten real badly every week in M10.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Be like the gap from Subbies to Premier I reckon - sure you've got some good players, but all the best ones have found their way to the top already.

Might pull off the odd upset (like Penrith) but you're going to get used to the spoon.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Nope Paty, the gap is too big I reckon. 9 out of 11 is great, but I really believe the would get beaten real badly every week in M10.

But then again so did Counties, Manuwatu, Tasman and Hawkes Bay in 2006. Maybe if some of the Heartland teams merged it would be possible, which I know that NZRU were pushing for years. I know both NPEC and Poverty Bay have looked into it, as well as Mid-Canterbury, South Canterbury and North Otago.

G

galumay

A brave effort by the Mighty Makos, they just didnt give up, but the class of the Canterburians was just too much. The defence was incredible and the pressure produced uncharacteristic errors from the Makos.

Richie Mo'unga was the most obvious difference between the teams and MOTM for mine.

Congratulations to Canterbury, worthy champions.

Commisserations to Tasman, worthy finalists, just short on the day.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Canterbury far too good, Tasman off their game. You have to be at the very top of your game to beat Canterbury.

G

galumay

Canterbury far too good, Tasman off their game. You have to be at the very top of your game to beat Canterbury.

You are spot on 2bf, but is it simply cause and effect? Hard to be at the top of your game in the face of such a complete team.

No doubt WoB is a happy old boy and enjoying a few speights in celebration!!

Status
Not open for further replies.