• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ July 2021 Tests (& other matches)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
1st 20: 38 pts.

38-nil after 20 minutes then Tonga realised that NZ's dummy runners are just dummies and they dont have to follow every single one of the pricks ffs

2nd 20: 7 pts.

Got the impression 2nd 20 they decided to practice some set pieces, so kicked for tuch instead of running etc.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s one thing to put a cricket score on a second string tier 1 nation team, but from a neutral this kinda looks a bit pointless. I don’t really see what either team is getting out of it. As an aside, I reckon capped Wallabies and All Blacks who are Tongan or Samoan by blood and aren’t selected in the current squads should be able to drop back in situations like this.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL Jordan scoring tries at will yet on the other wing Gorge Bridge couldnt find the tryline if Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder dragged the useless bugger over it.

Was getting embarrassing that Jordan and Bridge were both actually playing the wing position.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It’s one thing to put a cricket score on a second string tier 1 nation team, but from a neutral this kinda looks a bit pointless. I don’t really see what either team is getting out of it. As an aside, I reckon capped Wallabies and All Blacks who are Tongan or Samoan by blood and aren’t selected in the current squads should be able to drop back in situations like this.

On your last statement Lol...you think nzru or RA would sign up to that...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Would be great, but then it no longer can be a test. And I looking at a whole lot of happy and proud Tongan boys who I bet would like a talk with any of us who think they shouldn't be there!!

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
A farce of a test. Feel sorry for Tonga.

Can't read much into that obviously but midfield went well as did the loosies. Jordan's pace is useful on the wing.

On the other wing George Bridge is an absolute battler - everyome else beating players with ease and he's tackling himself, knocking it on and kicking it dead. The guy has absolutely no footwork which is why he can't beat tacklers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There needs to be an World Rugby investigation into this match, If the rumours of calling up club players mid-week are true then this match should never have occurred, this was a farce and should never have been deemed a test match.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On your last statement Lol.you think nzru or RA would sign up to that.

They don’t get to sign up to it, if they aren’t selected they can be picked up ad lib by a (say) lower than 12th ranked nation as long as both parents have a passport to said nation.
Would be great, but then it no longer can be a test. And I looking at a whole lot of happy and proud Tongan boys who I bet would like a talk with any of us who think they shouldn't be there!!
As per the comments directly above it’s a stretch to call it a test match anyway.

Yes, all this would need rule changes by World Rugby. That’s what I’m getting at.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlights

If the NH Club shenanigans alluded to by the Comms have any substance WR (World Rugby) definitely need to look into it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
LOL Jordan scoring tries at will yet on the other wing Gorge Bridge couldnt find the tryline if Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder dragged the useless bugger over it.

Was getting embarrassing that Jordan and Bridge were both actually playing the wing position.

A farce of a test. Feel sorry for Tonga.

Can't read much into that obviously but midfield went well as did the loosies. Jordan's pace is useful on the wing.

On the other wing George Bridge is an absolute battler - everyome else beating players with ease and he's tackling himself, knocking it on and kicking it dead. The guy has absolutely no footwork which is why he can't beat tacklers.

Aaron Goile (stuff.co.nz's player rather) must've been at a different venue:

"George Bridge: Scored four against Tonga in 2019, but didn’t look like getting one here... until strolling in after the siren, which also brought up the hundred. Put recent injury troubles behind him with a game-high seven clean breaks and a reminder of his pace and skill, apart from one bad knock on in front of posts from a bad Jordan pass. 9"

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Aaron Goile (stuff.co.nz's player rather) must've been at a different venue:

"George Bridge: Scored four against Tonga in 2019, but didn’t look like getting one here. until strolling in after the siren, which also brought up the hundred. Put recent injury troubles behind him with a game-high seven clean breaks and a reminder of his pace and skill, apart from one bad knock on in front of posts from a bad Jordan pass. 9"

Shows how much of a stretch his ratings were, Jordan who he said had great game apart from stuffing up a try for Bridge, he then have a 10?? I do think some of these so called rugby writers miss the point of what these supposed ratings are.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ you can as they say only play what's in front of you but I'd take one or maybe 1.5 off all of Goile's ratings simply on the basis that the opposition was so weak & certainly no-one should get a 10 for last night.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Chiefs hooker Samisoni Taukei'aho has been called into the All Blacks squad as injury cover after Asafo Aumua reported concussion symptoms following Saturday night’s test against Tonga."

Dalton Papali'i has a calf strain but they won't know how bad it is until their first full training session in Dunners tomorrow, at which time they'll also have a better idea how far away Savea & Frizzell are from being available but Havili is "good to go".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...as-ian-foster-ponders-his-big-selection-calls

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway, fun facts time:

2000: All Blacks 102-0 Tonga - Todd Blackadder (Captaincy debut)

2021: All Blacks 102-0 Tonga - Ethan Blackadder (test debut)

I just saw this on PR, so what does it all mean??

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only Bridge and Rieko remain as starters from game 1.

All Blacks team:
George Bower (1)
Codie Taylor (56)
Nepo Laulala (29)
Patrick Tuipulotu (37)
Brodie Retallick (81)
Shannon Frizell (13)
Ethan Blackadder (1)
Hoskins Sotutu (5)
Aaron Smith (97) - captain
Beauden Barrett (89)
George Bridge (11)
David Havili (3)
Rieko Ioane (35)
Sevu Reece (8)
Jordie Barrett (24)

Reserves:
Dane Coles (75)
Ethan de Groot – new cap
Tyrel Lomax (7)
Samuel Whitelock (123)
Luke Jacobson (3)
Finlay Christie (1)
Damian McKenzie (28)
Will Jordan (3)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Only Bridge and Rieko remain as starters from game 1.
200.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Like the look of the team, everyone getting a run almost. Fiji will be few steps up from Tonga, so will be another good step. Interesting that Chistie getting bench spot again, and admit I would of liked to see Vai'i on bench, but no argument with team.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji: Kini Murimurivalu, Eroni Sau, Waisea Nayacalevu, Levani Botia (c), Nemani Nadolo, Ben Volavola, Simione Kuruvoli, Albert Tuisue, Mesulame Kunavula, Johnny Dyer, Leone Nakarawa, Temo Mayanavanua, Mesake Doge, Samuel Matavesi, Peni Ravai. Reserves: Peni Narisia *, Haereiti Hetet, Leeroy Atalifo, Tevita Ratuva, Peceli Yato, Setareki Tuicuvu, Eneriko Buliruarua *, Manasa Mataele *. * denotes debutants.

Aus-based Frank Lomani, Mosese Sorovi & Teti Tela weren't able to travel due to the travel bubble pause.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...s-to-protect-young-halfback-from-nz-defenders