• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Official Sean McMahon Bandwagon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Dreadful first half. Looked paralysed with nerves and made some very, very, poor errors. I'd have given him 2/10 for the first half and 6/10 for the second. Call it a four all up. Be interesting to see if he gets the start next week.

Probably read this thread and felt like he had too much pressure on him. Personally I blame you DD.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dreadful first half. Looked paralysed with nerves and made some very, very, poor errors. I'd have given him 2/10 for the first half and 6/10 for the second. Call it a four all up. Be interesting to see if he gets the start next week.

I think that is actually the good sign as Mcmahon had ordinary first half but definitely tightened up and had much better second half which is very positive considering no doubt would have had some nerves and adjustment to be made to a much tighter rugby game than recent games played (agree NRC and Baa Baas much loser with attacking intent of both) but showed he could adjust and learn from his mistakes in first half by second half performance.

Needs to be given credit for that and shows what a terrific prospect he is...as more interested in how he finished the game....and can adjust his game to conditions required...

Certainly deserves another chance way he finished but I would say from the bench next time. What I really like his low leg drive to get those extra yards....constantly makes territory....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Luke Jones is another one looking to see play after a great NRC with Rising....he just continued to improve and build on his good super rugby season with the Rebels...

Play him against France perhaps?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't know about these ratings out of 10, I couldn't find the thread on how they are calculated. Like judging how many wins on the tour will constitute a success.

It just seemed to me that he made the usual number of elementary errors that most blokes make in their first half. I assume it is a combination of nerves, higher speed of the game and newish team mates.

I hope we don't fall into the trap of trying more players out and he gets plenty more game time this tour. By the end of the tour he should be playing more consistent football coinciding with Ireland and England. A very exciting prospect.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ This is the "officially endorsed" G&GR ratings system used on the blog front page:

The patented G&GR ratings guide:

10 – A legendary performance to go down in the history books
9 – Outstanding performance: Man of the match shoo-in
8 – Excellent all-round game
7 – Good game with a few sparkles
6 – Solid performance
5 – Average – ho hum
4 – Below par
3 – Had a bad game
2 – Tell your story walking pal
1 – A complete joke

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
A four to five is pretty fair. Did his role well, but the poor read for Webb's try and he gave away 3 - 4 penalties. 15 tackles was a great effort though.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some of the bandwagoning was due Sean McMahon being the first positive story for Oz rugby for a while.

Personally I thought it was great! Took the focus off other matters.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
People are getting too excited about his going from rooster to feather duster, but hopefully it will be a story of going down the road, falling over, dusting himself off, and going forward again.

As Vince Lombardi said: It's not whether you get knocked down: it's whether you get up.

The good thing is that he earned a chance to start in a test match. Somebody else may get a chance in the position next week, or on the bench, and by the time the tour is finished quite a few of the players would have got a shot - as Faulkner did also yesterday.

And maybe McMahon will get some more time too, then comes back home and has his second season in Super Rugby and gets older and stronger and yarda yarda - and we will be whingeing about something or somebody else.

The dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Probably read this thread and felt like he had too much pressure on him. Personally I blame you DD.

It's hard work having so much influence, not going to lie.

He had a rough first half and a better second one. He's not the first, and won't be the last, player to find out that Test rugby is a bit of a step up. I'd expect him to slide back to the bench for the next game, but I'm not super worried either way.

Would love to see Jones get a go at some point. I think he's got a lot to offer. At the very least he's super versatile, and that's always a plus.

T

Train Without a Station

If we're being honest, Jones is probably a more suited selection at 6 playing against bigger, slower teams on traditionally slower tracks.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Be harsh person though who would write off McMahon on first test game....as he still showed enough that still looks a great prospect.....still think good chance he will adjust to what is required over time....time will tell...but he still looks a talent....

Glad to see the media not crucifying him....as sure he had a mixed game but doesn't deserved to be trashed on his first game in test cauldron...as lets face it he will be better for the experience and now knows whats expected at test level...lets see if can learn from it...second half showed already quick learner....

Me....will he make it? Don't really know but also would certainly rather see him succeed then fail....as I would with any player facing their first test cap...as want to see the next generation of superstars step up to make wallabies better team as any wallaby fan would want...

T

TOCC

I don't think anyone wanted to crucify him, its simply a matter of people wanting to keep the performance in perspective and not to place high expectations on someone who up to a week ago, hadn't played test rugby.

Call this thread a hyperbole, a joke or whatever you want, but at the end of the day its indicative of the underlying expectation of success that fans and media place on players.

I think this high level of expectation also flows over into the 'dickhead factor' which seems to have risen dramatically since the turn of the century. Praising a player prematurely for performances against lesser teams, continually labelling a player a star and this continued 'debt of gratitude' mindset that surfaces during every contract negotiation, how many times have we heard something along the lines of "player x sacrificed $hundred thousands to remain and play for the wallabies"

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'd like to see Luke Jones get the spot.
Lots of folks see Jones at 6, but I have to say I love locks with high work rates so for that reason I'd like to see him at lock. I believe we desperately need at least one lock that can get everywhere and I think Jones could be him.

That said I bow to your superior experience Lee - and I'd just love to see him get a decent go in the test arena as I believe he has 'it'.

Status
Not open for further replies.