• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Official Sean McMahon Bandwagon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lots of folks see Jones at 6, but I have to say I love locks with high work rates so for that reason I'd like to see him at lock. I believe we desperately need at least one lock that can get everywhere and I think Jones could be him.

I don't see Jones as a fellow who plays a heavy game. If you are in the tight five of a test pack you have to be able to perform in the tight - and the other stuff is add-on.

At the Super level it's OK and fellows like Sam Wykes and Jones, who pack down on the left hand side of the scrum, have a high value if they have a big engine and a bit of skill as well.

But at the test level such as player has to have a bit of bruiser quality about him also. Lineout gurus like Matfield get cut a bit of slack and Sharpie got away with it too, but by and large a second rower should be able to shift people in test matches.

But Jones on the the bench to cover 6 and lock would be fine.

Mind you if he gets on the park as a starting lock and starts knocking people over, I'll probably say :"I told you so."

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks for the rating guide Huge. As you have forced my hand I suppose I would lean towards Ash's 4-5, his second half was short even though improved.

Lets not forget the now much admired Honey Badger was always good for a few first half bungles for at least his first five tests although he then usually made amends in the game. I hope that McMahon plays out the tour because I think he brings a strong point of difference for us.

A point for him to note is that we were holding the first scrum under the posts, right up until he and Hooper lifted their heads and started leaning instead of pushing.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
"McMahon’s was a good debut, he just needs to subconsciously adjust to the pace of the game. Sean’s a good player with great acceleration and power. His work rate is fantastic." - Bob Dwyer

Sums it up for me, thanks Bob

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm sticking with my original view. Very bad first half, decent second half. Didn't look out of his depth, just got a bit rattled early and the errors compounded. I'd probably start him against the French then bring Jones off the bench. Need to see what we have with Jones, and I reckon McMahon deserves another look.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A lot of comments here are concentrating on McMahon's early errors. While thay can't be overlooked, he later on made some very telling tackles and good metres with ball in hand. One such run led to the Kuridrani try if I'm not mistaken.

His early errors were reminiscent of the errors made by Jones in his very short time on the ground against the French. A couple of dropped balls or bad passes as I recall but after that he did some strong work. Unfortunately, he didn't get another chance to show his true wares. I hope they both get more game time in the matches left on this tour.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
After seeing Jones grab Skelton one on one (and not fall off - let face it 6 cops with tasers could do it as well ) I'd say he's as ready as he'll ever be , again from what I've seen Jones takes a man down one on one in defence (with regular monotony) and needs two or more to take him down in attack ....maybe a reason why the opposition didn't seem have an answer for the Melb Rising scrum was the constant rotation of Jones between 4,5,6,8 during the games .

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Sadly that is a great point HPD.

This is all about 4/5/6/8.

Almost universal acceptance of the weakness at 4/5, and Hooper will be at 7 although he is unlike other 7s. Then 6 and 8 become interchangeable gap pluggers. Depending on injury and form the selection of one player could dictate the selection of others irrespective of their other merits.

That could be a thread that will reach 200 pages before September 2015.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sadly that is a great point HPD.

This is all about 4/5/6/8.

Almost universal acceptance of the weakness at 4/5, and Hooper will be at 7 although he is unlike other 7s. Then 6 and 8 become interchangeable gap pluggers. Depending on injury and form the selection of one player could dictate the selection of others irrespective of their other merits.

Good point - it has always been true that a pack has to be balanced and always will be, and it is well that it is so. Even the locks have to offset each other unless you get two good all-rounders as the All Blacks have in their first choice second row.

The complexity of our game and the importance of set pieces, and semi-set pieces like, restarts and mauls, demands a pack of different body shapes, and skills.

Long may this continue otherwise there will be the boring sameness of players that the other code of rugby has.

Sure the choice of one player may affect the chances of another in a different position, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.