• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

onwards and sidewards (???) - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Lote still out?

My team:

15 Drew Mitchell
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Ryan Cross
12 Berrick Barnes
11 Lote Tuqiri (or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper))
10 Matt Giteau [c]
9 Luke Burgess
8 Richard Brown
7 Phil Waugh
6 Hugh McMeniman
5 Dean Mumm
4 Mark Chisolm
3 Matt Dunning
2 Stephen Moore
1 Benn Robinson

16 Tatafu Polata-Nau
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Wycliffe Palu
19 David Pocock
20 Brett Sheehan
21 Quade Cooper
22 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Peter Hynes

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Re: onwards and upwards - Italy

Is Mortlock injured or did you also think he was way off the pace?

(couple of OK roosts though)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

He did a heck of a lot of work in defence. Speaking of which if we don't start telling our wingers to stay on the fucking wing we're going to leak tries the whole tour.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Can't argue with Noddy's selection, except I'd considering throwing Pocock in, instead of Waugh.

He did a heck of a lot of work in defence. Speaking of which if we don't start telling our wingers to stay on the fucking wing we're going to leak tries the whole tour.

I think they had to come in a lot of the time, and when they did (particularly Hynes) they generally did it effectively. If the AB's can't get around the outside of us, it isn't like Italy or England will.

The first try was a result of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not taking the outside man.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Scotty said:
The first try was a result of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not taking the outside man.

Spot on Scotty. It was such a schoolboy error.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

The second try was a result of Giteau rushing in rather than taking the man in front of him. Sure the ABs had another two men outside that, but you need to put the pressure in the right places. Again, this is about defensive alignment and fitness - the ABs had a lot more match fitness under their belt.

S

Spook

Mortlock might be getting on but I still he is the only bloke to consistently get the backs over the gain line - he is the master of punching holes in midfield. Morty is a 13 but had a damn good game today I thought. He is even more effective when we have a scrum half like Burgress who clears the ball so quickly with front foot ball. This brings Gits into the game and he is generally the architect of Aussie tries.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

I've got to say I agree. I can't understand the calls for Cross as I think Morty is clearly better.

S

Spook

I thought Burgess was superb today and Giteau really benefited from his service. Burgess's passing was a lot more accurate than I've previously seen. I think Deans is doing well with these players. We just need to learn to close out games and develop a genuine full back - Could Rabbit O'Connor be that man? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be a world class 13 at some stage IMO.

We have 3M, Palu, Horwill, and Kimlin to come back as well as Tahu and Tuquiri. The depth is being generated...

Any news about the injuries?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Spook said:
Mortlock might be getting on but I still he is the only bloke to consistently get the backs over the gain line - he is the master of punching holes in midfield. Morty is a 13 but had a damn good game today I thought. He is even more effective when we have a scrum half like Burgress who clears the ball so quickly with front foot ball. This brings Gits into the game and he is generally the architect of Aussie tries.

Thought Morty had a good first 40 - some hard yards and tackles. Agree he looks much better with Burgess back. Today we also saw 2 great kicks towards touch from the 22.

BUT - don't know if it's age, fitness or and injury (shoulder looked fucked again?) but he was clearly off the pace in the second half. Just looked totally shattered. If he wasn't captain then I wonder if Cross might have stayed on. Cross doesn't have the steamroller quality of Morty but faster footwork and also manages to stay on his feet.

Also - he did stuff that overlap we had after Gits made that burst through the pack in the first half

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

If you've got a recording have another look, because for once the commentators had it right: Morty was everywhere on defence which is a good change from his fly-out-of-the-line stuff. As a good 13 should do, he protected his channel and got across in cover defence quite a bit.

His limited impact in the second half on attack was probably due to the fact we didn't see the ball for half an hour.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

My team isn't dropping Morty. Just resting him for ENG and FRA. We are lucky to have a decent replacement at the moment though.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

Gagger said:
Spook said:

Thought Morty had a good first 40 - some hard yards and tackles. Agree he looks much better with Burgess back. Today we also saw 2 great kicks towards touch from the 22.

BUT - don't know if it's age, fitness or and injury (shoulder looked fucked again?) but he was clearly off the pace in the second half. Just looked totally shattered. If he wasn't captain then I wonder if Cross might have stayed on. Cross doesn't have the steamroller quality of Morty but faster footwork and also manages to stay on his feet.

Also - he did stuff that overlap we had after Gits made that burst through the pack in the first half

Don't think too many of either team were keeping their feet on that surface. Combined with the slippery ball I'd say let's leave Hong Kong to the 7s crowd- no future Bledisloes should be played there.
I thought Mortlock had a pretty good game. His defence was outstanding. I recall one great tackle followed by another only seconds later. Without his defence we would struggle. Can still make the impact whick takes us over the advantage line to set up attack ball.

F

formeropenside

After HK, I'm not a fan of resting anyone. Treat Italy like a serious game. If we are not going to take them seriously then send an A team or dont sign up to play tests.

Smash the bastards. The Wallabies need to be feared, for a change.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

Well the italians are meant to have the best scrum in Europe so willl want our best tight 5 on the park.

I'm with Noddy on Drew Mitchell moving to fullback but in the big games I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to be in the 1st 15 somewhere, Mitchell is more willing to have a run rather than just kick everytime.

15.Mitchell
14.Ioane
13.Cross
12.Tahu
11.Turner
10.Barnes
9.Burgess
8.Brown
7.Waugh
6.MMM
5.Mumm
4.Chisolm
3.Baxter
2.Moore
1.Robinson

Res:16.TPN 17.Alexander 18.Sharpe/Kimlin 19.Pocock 20.Sheehan 21.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 22.Giteau

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

disco said:
Well the italians are meant to have the best scrum in Europe so willl want our best tight 5 on the park.

I'm with Noddy on Drew Mitchell moving to fullback but in the big games I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to be in the 1st 15 somewhere, Mitchell is more willing to have a run rather than just kick everytime.

15.Mitchell
14.Ioane
13.Cross
12.Tahu
11.Turner
10.Barnes
9.Burgess
8.Brown
7.Waugh
6.MMM
5.Mumm
4.Chisolm
3.Baxter
2.Moore
1.Robinson

Res:16.TPN 17.Alexander 18.Sharpe/Kimlin 19.Pocock 20.Sheehan 21.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 22.Giteau
Have to disagree with that team.
Smith out of the 22? No way. We have to go for the jugular with Italy.
That back line is VERY inexperienced and defensively would worry me - not 1 on 1 ability but combos. Too many changes. Would be happy to see Ioane start on the wing, though. I reckon he could be damaging.
The pack I like, but I would start Pocock, not Waugh, if you really must leave Smith out.

W

whocares

I'd Put Lote in there off the bench to give him some match fitness. As well as Pocock starting and Smith on the bench.
Its probably best if we keep the Burgess-Giteau-Barnes combo some more practice too.
And I agree with Disco that we should give Alexander a go off the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Yeah we'll have to aim up in the forwards but, at the risk of doing some foot eating, their backs won't worry us. So its a perfect opportunity to use Timana to start, Ione and even blood a O'Connor or Cooper off the bench.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

Have to disagree with that team.
Smith out of the 22? No way. We have to go for the jugular with Italy.
That back line is VERY inexperienced and defensively would worry me - not 1 on 1 ability but combos. Too many changes. Would be happy to see Ioane start on the wing, though. I reckon he could be damaging.
The pack I like, but I would start Pocock, not Waugh, if you really must leave Smith out.

Cyclopath,
I did write that team before I had heard that Giteau will most likely miss the game in Italy so I would definitely go with that backline now.

I also would want to rest Mortlock for twickers, Would be happy to swap Waugh with Pocock.

Tom,
The word on Lote is that he won't be back until the French match.

W

whocares

disco said:
Tom,
The word on Lote is that he won't be back until the French match.

Yeh just saw, in that case put Mitchell to fullback and Turner or Ioane on the wing or even Turner at fullback or O'Conner. Plenty of options but just not too many changes

Status
Not open for further replies.