• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Our Centre Partnership - Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

Memories are short. Not long ago, Beale was one of the best players in the world and winning us games left and right. Since then he has suffered some injuries and developed some bad habits. If the bloke can get fit -- as in, shed the pounds -- he'll find form again. He needs the right support environment to do that, however, and I'm not sure that he's getting it at the Rebels or the Wallabies.

Thats all well and good, but the place to get fit and get your head right is not the national team.

Reactions: BPC

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
In my eyes AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is just a means to and ends. He fills every position adequately, but realistically he is only there now while we wait for the next guy. Similar to everyone between Latham & Beale.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not a bad player but realistically if we had another bonafide option we would take, but for now deans just wants someone who deans can rely on do what is required.......except pass.
We have a couple of good young 13s on the horizon and i think we will see them come to the fore 2013.

I know the people say that the playmaking 12 is dead but I don't think so., I understand a flatley-esque player is not what is needed but I think in Australia we have some fantastic skilful running 12s options rising through the ranks. Each even showing that vision we have lacked.

The fact that in the same generation we have player like Tapuai, Lealifano, O'Connor, McCabe , Holmes & Lance gets me nothing but excited. If it wasn't for injuries I am sure we would see most of these guys ripping it up during the season in one position or another.
I think we will see some stellar Aus Super Backlines 2013 and a powerful wallabies one at that.

p.s for the brumbies trials I would like to see them mix it up a bit let Holmes play 12 (preffered position) , McCabe 13 & Lealifano at 15 (played ITM Cup their I believe)

J

Jiggles

Thierry I think thats a bit harsh on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). He was often the only consistently performing Wallaby in a very average backline for a fair few seasons there. It really has killed his career (mind you it has still been a very good one) that he has been Mr. Fix-it.

Again, it is my pet hate that for the last 6 years backline players have been moved around so much. As someone who has played only club rugby in the forwards, even I understand how different each backline spot is. How does our National Coach not understand this?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Jiggles my man. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a very good player at super level and very solid come International and he was my hero for a while when he scored that fantastic try to beat the all blacks in melbourne back in 06? Was it? But at the end of the day he is a Mr Fix It he is solid at every position and has filled alot of them admirably for the wallabies till the next person came. He was solid unspectacular test winger>then Fullback>Centre>Fullback>Centre. I like him a lot as a person and player should always be in the 22 I think but not starting. Whats the saying you need at least seven players in the world XV to win the world cup? well I don't think even after his best season Adam would be in the squad let alone XV........yet I have eaten my words before and if he can just settle at 13 maybe he will grow to that rank.

J

Jiggles

Yeah fair enough and I get where you are coming. I was a huge fan back around that 06 to 09 period when he did some very special things. I think he still has a key part of this Wallaby team due to the fact that he is hands down the best 13 option and is probably also the best 15 option with Beale out of sorts.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
i dont think anyone with a hair clip should be in our centres

James+O+connor+Wallabies+Captain+Run+Lgl_V8k-2Jzl.jpg

I despair at the false accusation being perpetrated in this thread.

JOC (James O'Connor) is clearly wearing an elastic, not a hair clip.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Thats all well and good, but the place to get fit and get your head right is not the national team.

Agreed. But this is a thread about our future centres. Most people are talking about 6-12 months, players back from injury, etc. My point was that writing off Beale in that kind of window is silly.

J

Jiggles

Agreed. But this is a thread about our future centres. Most people are talking about 6-12 months, players back from injury, etc. My point was that writing off Beale in that kind of window is silly.

Oh I agree. Beale was jaw dropping good in the back end of that 2010 season international. Personally I think he needs to be removed from the Wallabies environment right now so he can sort out what ever shit is going on. An extended lay off where he can talk to those he trusts, and work on what he wants, and what he needs to do, is just what the doctor orders. The Championship is lost anyway and being three shades of shit right now isn't doing him any favours.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
That's worse. Requires more girlie skills.

I know that's a joke (and a genuinely funny one) but I remember when I was a grommet, Russel Fairfax was widely criticised by rugby traditionalists for having long hair, because it was 'feminine'.

The similarities with today are telling. The truth is that as we age we remember the precise rebellions we enacted 10/20/30/40 years ago as the only bold and manly ones, and everything before and since as the disconcerting signs of a debauched culture.

I think I may go tweet 'Plus ca change'.

Reactions: BPC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Beale is not too far off.

He is looking fitter than he did in Bledisloe 1. There looks to be much less chubbiness in his face.

Stepping up to kick the penalty goal on Saturday night was a big moment. It was a pressure kick from a difficult spot and he nailed it. If he hadn't, the Pumas could have easily stolen the game in the final minutes with a drop goal.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The people whinging about Bieber's hair seem to care more about it than he does. A bunch of clowns getting uncomfortable with their own insecurities.

Anyway, Bieber - CFS for the 2015 WC please.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The people whinging about Bieber's hair seem to care more about it than he does. A bunch of clowns getting uncomfortable with their own insecurities.

There's a difference between whinging about it and thinking it's a shit haircut. For me, my issue with his haircut/s is that it's symbolic of his attitude in general. His focus appears to be on the fame and living the high life, not on Rugby. Can you imagine if a player had the skills and physical abilities of JOC (James O'Connor) and a work ethic of Phil Waugh?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think GAGR fans would prefer to see players with haircuts they could set their watch to like Johnny Unitas not the wild untamed facial hair of Joe Willy Namath

rmo96c.jpg

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
There's a difference between whinging about it and thinking it's a shit haircut. For me, my issue with his haircut/s is that it's symbolic of his attitude in general. His focus appears to be on the fame and living the high life, not on Rugby. Can you imagine if a player had the skills and physical abilities of JOC (James O'Connor) and a work ethic of Phil Waugh?
Do you have any idea what his work ethic is like, let alone his attitude in general? You think anyone gets to be as good as he is, as young as he is, by having no work ethic? I'm guessing you're choosing to ignore the off-field work he does for the Rebels and affiliates as well. Have there been any disciplinary issues surrounding him, save missing the team photo or whatever it was that one time?

Without wanting to sound like too much of a fanboi or anything...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
OK, but I still disagree. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might not pass, but his go-to-ground and lay-the-ball is about the best in the world.
All we need is a good dummy-half for the quick play the ball, unless the ref calls "dominant tackle" and allows some extra flopping. Oh wait, I was thinking of something else.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Truck it up one out, work to the sideline for the big play on the fifth play. Cross field kick is my favourite.

Sent using Tapatalk

R

randalf8

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) makes Mortlock look like Mark Ella in the passing game

Status
Not open for further replies.