• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Paarl Gym 150th year & Ruaan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Match report Rugby365
Die Burger Finals - The winners
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:42

Paarl Gim in action at Newlands earlier this year. (c) Doug Fitz-Gerald

The three finals of the rugby competition organised for the four southern unions by Die Burger produced three winners - Paarl Gim of Western Province, Augsburg of Boland and Itembelihle of Eastern Province.

The three finals were played at Hoërskool Framesby on Saturday.

Two of the matches produced clear-cut winners, while the medium schools' contest was a close one, won by a conversion.

In the Big Schools Final Paarl Gim were much too good for hosts Framesby They scored nine tries to none in winning 57-6. As has been the case with all Gim's rugby this season, it was a great team performance.

Things were relatively even in the first half but in the second, 'tackle fatigue' destroyed Framesby and the Gimmies poured through on the attack

The scorers:

For Paarl Gim:
Tries: Christiaan Smit, Luqmaan Ismael, Kobus van Wyk, Conrad Loubser 2, Ruan Mouton, Niel Claasen, Jandré Conradie
Cons: Willie Viljoen 7
DG: Lance Rutherford

For Framesby:
Pens: Reynier Bernado, Christiaan Dempers

In the Medium Schools Final, it was sheer guts and determined defence that won the day for Augsburg of Clanwilliam against the more fancied Oudtshoorn side.

In the end, the difference in the scores was a conversion by fullback Janco Lehman. Augsburg won 12-10.

The scorers:

For Augsburg:
Tries: Jaco Visagie, Lazaar Volschenk
Con: Janco Lehman

For Oudtshoorn:
Tries: Yoveheno Kampher 2

Itembelihle won the Small Schools Final for the third time, this time beating Hawston 35-24.

The Port Elizabeth side was well ahead 35-3 with 10 minutes to play when they decided to give the whole squad a chance to play.

The scorers:

For Itembelihle:
Tries: Xolile Mange 2, Sihle Mngautwa, Falakhe
Cons: Coyi Banda 3
Pen: Coyi Banda 3

For Hawston:
Tries: Alvino Cornelius 3, Bredon Hunter
Con: Mauretmor Arendse
Pen: Roland Swart

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl Gym has just appointed Louis Koen, old Gimmie and x Bok flyhalf as their Sport Organiser. I saw him working with our 12 year old place kickers and a very good appointment. Paarl Gims head master played with Danie Gerber on his day and the U18A is coached by Christof Lotter.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Waht is the standard of Schoolboy rugby in SA compared to that played in OZ? I ask this because I believe that the OZ Schoolboys side could be touring SA in 2011

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Waht is the standard of Schoolboy rugby in SA compared to that played in OZ? I ask this because I believe that the OZ Schoolboys side could be touring SA in 2011
Myself rates our schoolboy rugby the best. It do drop when you get to provincial and national level. Due to the qouta system. Feeling positive that this may change in future because your old traditional schools get more diverse by the year.

Will it be your national side or just a Aus school side?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Myself rates our schoolboy rugby the best. It do drop when you get to provincial and national level. Due to the qouta system. Feeling positive that this may change in future because your old traditional schools get more diverse by the year.

Will it be your national side or just a Aus school side?

I believe it will be the full Australian Schoolboys side

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I believe it will be the full Australian Schoolboys side
That will be nice. Myself still think this should happen yearly. The perfect way to prepare them for the U20 WC tournament.

Just to bring you in the picture. We had last year and this year the England and France U20s touring and playing a 4 Nation tournament with SA U19s and Namibia. In 2009 JP du Plessis had a blinder against the Poms in a losing SA team. This year SA beat them both.

Regarding next year , SA have the U16 Grant Khomo Week, picking a High Performance squad of 50 and monitor them to next year. I understand that a Paarl Gym kid, Handre Pollard, flyhalf have been contracted by WP/Stormers for R120,000 per year and still in school. I know the kids dad very well. Anyway I also know that WP had some outstanding talent in the 2010 U16 age group, Paarl Gym usually lead the WP pack but they lost against some of the Soutie Slaapstad lot after they have beat Grey Bloem and Monnas in our Paarl Gym U16 tournament.

Anyway here is the SA U16 HP squad (probably most will be the players for next year)

your link if you want to see more about our U16 Grant Khomo tournament
http://www.sarugby.co.za/tournament...6grantkhomo'&section=colayouthweeks&year=2010

The HP U16 squad
The South African Rugby Union (SARU) earlier this week announced the names of 50 players selected for the SA Under-16 High Performance camp that will be held in Cape Town from 26 September – 3 October 2010.
The players were selected following their exceptional performances at the recently held Coca-Cola Under-16 Grant Khomo Week.

They will busy themselves with positional specific training under the guidance of rugby expert at the camp which will be held at the South African College Schools (SACS) in Cape Town.

SARU has established a High Performance system that acts as a pathway that reaches from junior levels, right the way through to senior rugby. The player pathway is based on the long term athlete development model, where players are identified and kept in the High Performance system for as long as possible.

One of SARU’s ways of identifying future talent is through the national selectors who attend the annual Youth Weeks in SA.

All these structures have been put in place to ultimately ensure that we produce the finest junior rugby players in the world who will eventually become Springboks and represent their country at international level.

Twenty-two (22) players who attended last year’s U16 High Performance programme, competed in this year’s Coca-Cola Under-18 Craven Week that was held in Welkom.

Three of those players Western Province prop Tsepo Motale and flanker Sikhumbuzo Notshe; and Eastern Province’s Ruwellyn Isabel were eventually selected in SARU’s 2010 Under-18 High Performance programme. These players competed in the series of international friendlies against France, England and Namibia last month.

A further three players – Shawn Conradie, Frederick Nel and Clinton Ruiters competed in the 2010 Academy Week for Under-18 High Schools while Siyabonga Tom represented KwaZulu Natal at the Coca-Cola Grant Khomo Week U16 Week.

This camp will be hosted by the current national coaches as well as former and current Springboks stars.

While the players will be involved in rugby training, SARU’s High Performance programme also focuses on life skills training. The players will visit SARU’s headquarters in Cape Town and will be briefed by various role players in SA rugby. They will also send some time at the SA Sports Science Institute - a facility utilised by the Springbok Sevens and SA Under-20 teams.

At least year’s Under-16 High Performance camp, the likes of former Springbok players Bobby Skinstad, Chester Williams, Owen Nkumane along with Springbok coach Peter de Villiers and Springbok Sevens coach Paul Treu also spent time with the youngsters.

Former World Cup-winning Springbok psychologist Dr Henning Gericke also conducted team-building workshops.

“We are going to have all the national coaches in attendance as well as former Springbok players who will spend time with the our Under-16’s during the position specific training days,” said SARU High Performance Manager Herman Masimla.

“At the conclusion of the training camp the selectors will confirm a group of top performers that will form part of the SARU Elite Under-16 group that will receive holistic development support from SARU Unions.

“We need to ensure that these players are not lost in the system. While all our efforts will go in monitoring the development of these players, it is also important that the various unions also take an active role in the development of these future stars.”

SA Under-16 High Performance squad:
Blue Bulls - Marcus Kleinbooi, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Caswell Khoza, Ryno Eksteen, Louis Venter, Sikhumbuzo Thabo Mabuza, Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, Pierre Schoeman.
Boland - Duncan Matthews, Gerhard Cloete, Paul Louw, Dayan van der Westhuizen.
Border - Malwande Mhamhe, Maliviwe Simanga.
Border Central Districts - Mtsika Nyalambisa.
Eastern Province - Selwyn Davids, Sergeal Petersen, Siphesihle Mhlom, Lyle Lombard.
Falcons - Christiaan Meyer, Junius Deysel, Deon Jaco Botes, Kwena Collins Moremi.
Free State - Pieter Jordaan, Edward Schmidt, Daniel Piek.
Golden Lions - Allistair McQuire, Che-Ree Stevens, Malcolm Marx, Kgotso Ngubeni.
KwaZulu-Natal - Siyabonga Tom, Christopher de Beer, Siphesihle Sibongeleni Ndlovu.
Leopards - Adriaan Pieter Esterhuizen, Jacobus Johannes Groenewald.
Limpopo - Johannes Hendrik Smit, Jacobus Johannes Marais, Arend Johannes Bannink.
Mpumalanga - Karabo Makola, Joseph William Allen.
SWD - Dean January, Martinus Vermeulen.
Western Province - Francois Botha, Dalen Goliath, Wesley Cupido, Handre Pollard, Ramone Samuels, Jan-Fredrick Uys, Chad Solomon, Wesley Edward Adonis.

The Paarl Gym yearly U16 Tournament (two blocks from my house)

http://www.u16rugbytournament.rgcms.co.za/index.php

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ruaan and JP Smith is back in Aus, anyone knowing where they'll be playing, Reds maybe?

For folks who don't know: the twins came over from the RSA and went to TGS. Ruan made the Queensland II Schools team as a very large unit who got around the park, loved taking the ball up running into folks - and was handy offloading the ball. I was enthused about him because he still had a year to go at school yet he made the Oz A Schools team.

PB has written about the boys earlier in the thread but to summarise the info:

For family reasons the Smiths returned to the RSA and Ruan made the SA Schools team in 2008 weighing in at 126kgs. He was also in the SA U/20 training squad for 2010 but couldn't be considered for selection later because of injury. This year he and brother JP were playing in the WP U/21 team.

Click on this for a photo of Ruan in action.

http://www.sportzpics.net/viewphoto.php?&albumId=122088&imageId=4539395&page=1&imagepos=7

PB - are you sure the boys are in Oz now, and if so, when did they come over? Any idea if they have decided to try their luck in Oz permanently or is it just another visit?

Looks like Ruan could be another Ollie le Roux but he'll probably have to lose some weight.

He sounds like a natural for the Melbourne academy, being a new team and he unknown here.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
For folks who don't know: the twins came over from the RSA and went to TGS. Ruan made the Queensland II Schools team as a very large unit who got around the park, loved taking the ball up running into folks - and was handy offloading the ball. I was enthused about him because he still had a year to go at school yet he made the Oz A Schools team.

PB has written about the boys earlier in the thread but to summarise the info:

For family reasons the Smiths returned to the RSA and Ruan made the SA Schools team in 2008 weighing in at 126kgs. He was also in the SA U/20 training squad for 2010 but couldn't be considered for selection later because of injury. This year he and brother JP were playing in the WP U/21 team.

Click on this for a photo of Ruan in action.

http://www.sportzpics.net/viewphoto.php?&albumId=122088&imageId=4539395&page=1&imagepos=7

PB - are you sure the boys are in Oz now, and if so, when did they come over? Any idea if they have decided to try their luck in Oz permanently or is it just another visit?

Looks like Ruan could be another Ollie le Roux but he'll probably have to lose some weight.

He sounds like a natural for the Melbourne academy, being a new team and he unknown here.
Did a little google on them and find on Ruans Facebook profile

Werkgewers Rugby
player · Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=615384668

JP

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=591438338

Huidige Stad: Toowoomba, Queensland

Also know their small Boet Reino is an excellent swimmer

Vanaf Toowoomba, Queensland

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/reino.smith

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't understand Facebook or Twitter; I even have trouble with e-mail. I did notice that Ruan (crikey, he even looks like Ollie Le Roux) mentioned that one of his likes was: the Melbourne Rebels.

PB - what's your take on all of this?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't understand Facebook or Twitter; I even have trouble with e-mail. I did notice that Ruan (crikey, he even looks like Ollie Le Roux) mentioned that one of his likes was: the Melbourne Rebels.

PB - what's your take on all of this?
Good on him Oom Lee. The Lions offered JP du Plessis a junior contract worth 5 K compare to the Rebels 50 K per month. In Ruans case it was easier, look like the family is settling now in Aus. WP have some great young fatties coming through at the moment and on the weekend young Kitshoff (played SA Schools in 2010) and Malherbe from Boishaai had blinders against Maties and UCT in warm ups. Ruan also a bit of a laid back caracter.

S

shitkicker

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
I am under the impression they are playing for a melbourne second XV? in a trial against an act acadamy side. have not spoken to them in a month or so, but this information comes from one of my friends who has.

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
I am under the impression they are playing for a melbourne second XV? in a trial against an act acadamy side. have not spoken to them in a month or so, but this information comes from one of my friends who has.

saw the boys on the weekend, they tell me they are training with the rebels.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that. Was there any indication that they would stay in Oz no matter what, or that they would return to the RSA if they didn't find a spot here - or anything in between?

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Yep, you'll be pleased to know Paarl that the Smith boys are playing senior rugby in Brisbane for GPS. I'll keep an eye on them for you.... Both starting props this weekend against the Gold Coast (Ben Daley and James Slipper's club)

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Paarl - Ruan Smith was selected to trial for the Western Force on their impending tour of Western Samoa. He's doing a great job in club rugby for GPS.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dankie Lance,

Here is Paarl Gims school promo video as promised[video=youtube;KKAOzuM0oq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAOzuM0oq0&feature=related[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.