• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Paarl Gym 150th year & Ruaan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A school attended by boys and girls, as opposed to a single sex school

PS I had to sign to some conditions, is that normal for schoolboys?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A school attended by boys and girls, as opposed to a single sex school

PS I had to sign to some conditions, is that normal for schoolboys?

Oh :lmao: you probably attended a girls only school. :fishing

Interesting mentioning this, in SA top rugby schools only a few co - eds.

I'll never send my kids to a only boys school. You want them as balanced adults.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks Paarl :)

Went to a co-ed (public) school myself but it's pretty rare in Aus for the more elite independent schools to be co-ed. That's one reason I'm glad I didn't go, although there are upsides too I guess

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
hmmm terrace vs nudgee is pretty big...

has paarl gym vs boys high already been played this year? if not, when's the next one?

They always play interschools on the first saturday in August and always kick off at 16h00. Shame you havent catch this earlier, this year they had it the first time live on TV in a very long time. Still draw 20,000 and WPRU never try to hold home matches on that saturday. Faure Stadium will draw more then Newlands every time.

I think you will only fully appreciate it if you attend it. Next year I'll organise you main pavillion tickets. Remember to remind me.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
They always play interschools on the first saturday in August and always kick off at 16h00. Shame you havent catch this earlier, this year they had it the first time live on TV in a very long time. Still draw 20,000 and WPRU never try to hold home matches on that saturday. Faure Stadium will draw more then Newlands every time.

I think you will only fully appreciate it if you attend it. Next year I'll organise you main pavillion tickets. Remember to remind me.

baie dankie oom, it sounds like it would be a brilliant day. i'll definitely keep it in mind and follow it up next year. cheers

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Some interesting stats regarding SA provinces and schools producing players
Rugby365
WP top contributor of players
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:55

Johan oosen putting the boot in. (c) Gallo

In another of our statistical analysis pieces, it was found that Grey College (Bloemfontein) had contributed the most players to the ranks of professional players that played in South Africa in 2010.

Grey had a whopping 51 players followed by Affies with 29 and Paarl Gymnasium contributing 27. Monument and Paul Roos contributed 17 players each with Paarl Boys represented with 15. Boland and Waterkloof each had 13 players and Oakdale contributed 12. Grey High (PE) and Hentie Cilliers rounded out the top 10 with nine players each. Bishops and Outeniqua, both top ten schools, contributed seven each.

When the above stats were analysed from a provincial point of view, the Western Province were head shoulders above the rest, contributing a total of 106 players. Of those, Paarl Gymnasium contributed 25.5% of the players.

We have broken the stats down as follows - Province, total number of players, top school's contribution.

Western Province: 106, Paarl Gymnasium 25.5%

Blue Bulls: 77, Affies 37.7%

Eastern Province: 65, Grey High 13.8%

Free State: 62, Grey College 82.3%

Border: 57, Dale College 14.0%

Golden Lions: 49, Monument 34.7%

Valke: 44, HTS Vereeniging 15.9%

South Western Districts: 43, Oakdale 27.9%

KwaZulu Natal: 42, Michaelhouse 16.7%

Boland: 40, Boland Landbou 32.5%

Griffons: 37, Hentie Cilliers 24.3%

Pumas: 24, Nelspruit & HTS Middelburg 20.8%

Leopards: 21, Klerksdorp 23.8%

Griquas: 14, Upington 28.6%

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The two Paarl school should put in for a Super rugby licence with just their own players with the older boys putting money into it....

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The two Paarl school should put in for a Super rugby licence with just their own players with the older boys putting money into it....

Danie Craven and jannie Engelbrachts dream was to make Maties with their feeder schools (Paarl Gym, boyshigh, Paul Roos, Boland landbou), a SA province of their own back in their days.

S

spooony

You guys should be ashamed - poaching our schoolboys. ;D ;D ;D

Good news about the hockey pitch - in the context of your recent remarks.
You are sooooo spot on. All those "Boys only schools" have been poaching players for ages. Thats why they always have top players playing for them. Free bursaries.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You are sooooo spot on. All those "Boys only schools" have been poaching players for ages. Thats why they always have top players playing for them. Free bursaries.
Look like you havent been in SA for some time. Its the provinces that poach nowadays from U12 level. The Brutes have an aggressive policy in this regard.

L

luikang

Look like you havent been in SA for some time. Its the provinces that poach nowadays from U12 level. The Brutes have an aggressive policy in this regard.
When I was at school it happened. Grey College and Landbou Jan Kempdorp ripped our teams apart year by year. They still need to go to a school even if the provinces poach them.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl Gym broke today Grey Bloems two years unbeaten run at the Kearsney College tournament. Beating them 45-29.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kobus Wiese, Schalk Burger & Jean de Villiers in Paarl Gym's marketing DvD. Sorry is only afrikaans

Status
Not open for further replies.