• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Phil Waugh is finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
Lee Grant said:
In anticipation of that Beau Robinson should get more and more time during the year as part of succession planning for the time when Waugh is gone and Robinson and Coridas take over. I would even have Beau start in a few games.

But I've said this before.

LG, I seem to recall that when I suggested during last year's (well it seems like last year's) S14 that Robinson would/should usurp Waugh, you roundly poopooed the idea and didn't seem to have a high regard for him (Robinson).

BTW I wasn't all that impressed with Coridas last Friday. Seems to me that he hasn't come along since his appearances for the Rams - which were far more impressive while they lasted.

It's bloody annoying when people misrepresent what you say, however unintentionally.

I wouldn't have said that I didn't have a high regard for Robinson. How could I? I've seen him since he represented NSW from Stannies and was delighted when he returned from league, probably before you or most rugby heads had ever heard of him.

He's done bloody well especially when he replaced Waugh for most of the 2007 season and I've said so on other forums before this one started up.

I would have disagreed with you that he should replace Waugh as the regular starting fetcher for the Tahs this year, but I wouldn't have excluded what I said in the post that you quoted. Just because I said that he should get more game time, especially this year with Waugh maybe not getting topped up by the ARU, and even start in a few games, is not inconsistent with preferring Waugh as the regular starter.

Please provide an exact quote when to take people to task - it makes your argument stronger than "I seem to recall"

No, Coridas didn't look much chop on Friday night did he but hardly anybody did from the Tahs A team. Seemed to me that the harder heads in the Sydney team (they weren't Barbarians) were too much for the Academy and fringe S14 players who were playing with a lot of schoolboys.

I mentioned before that the Tahs may be in trouble for not having a couple of hard heads in the professional Academy, though since then I notice that they have added LHP Ofa.

Doherty played OK didn't he? And what did you think of the snowy headed flyhalf Harry Bennett? I reckon he'll be a good un in a couple of years' time.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
had a chat to Beau after the game, he's still injured (can't recall what the injury was) but is as keen as to get on the park. I told him that'd be awesome cause we could give Fava the ass, he replied with "no comment" and a grin

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not a bad idea though it would make the scrum even lighter than it is. Mind you all the scrums in the S14 are lighter now as yours truly postulated on the other forum when the Stellenbosch laws came out a few years ago.

I remember the Bulls scrum as being about 910 kgs a few years back, but against the Blues it was about 850 - anybody remember exactly?

As I recall: Beau had a hamstring injury in January, which is a chronic condition for him, but he played against the Fijians and Brumbies in the trials IIRR but can't remember what his current injury is.

Is he injured at all?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Andrew Logan said:
If it was up to me, I?d be putting Mumm at 6, starting with Palu and Waugh and putting Dennis in the row

:lmao:

Yeah Naz - really knows his stuff!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh shit - there is more from Logan! :lmao:

Andrew Logan said:
Worlds Biggest - in answer to your question, are there any other 7?s around or being groomed?..the one the Tahs should be looking at is Matt Hodgson

Fuck there just isn't an emoticon to fully describe how amused I am with Logan's genius so far so this will have to do: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Where are those quotes from NTA?

Mat Hodgson...if a team resorts to starting him regularly at 7, then it can't be a good thing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25097686-5002381,00.html

I am cutting and pasting way too many news articles today :(

I'm all for an ARU intervention to keep players like Waugh, seeing as it looks like a foregone conclusion that Waugh will lose his top up in 1 - 2 years with Pocock around. In fact, I think they should've started earlier (with Latham, for example), but doing something to keep Waugh around is better late than never I guess.

I'm just not sure on what they can do. The whole system of payment is screwed up - up to $220k (reportedly, I thought it used to be $110k - or is that the minimum?) payed by the franchise, ARU tops up. So where do third party payments come in? Can NSW arrange for third party payments to Waugh? And is the wild card top up still around, where each franchise can choose 1 player to get an ARU top up when not on the ARU's books? If it is, who are the Tahs using it on now?

F

formeropenside

Ash said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25097686-5002381,00.html

I am cutting and pasting way too many news articles today :(

I'm all for an ARU intervention to keep players like Waugh, seeing as it looks like a foregone conclusion that Waugh will lose his top up in 1 - 2 years with Pocock around. In fact, I think they should've started earlier (with Latham, for example), but doing something to keep Waugh around is better late than never I guess.

I'm just not sure on what they can do. The whole system of payment is screwed up - up to $220k (reportedly, I thought it used to be $110k - or is that the minimum?) payed by the franchise, ARU tops up. So where do third party payments come in? Can NSW arrange for third party payments to Waugh? And is the wild card top up still around, where each franchise can choose 1 player to get an ARU top up when not on the ARU's books? If it is, who are the Tahs using it on now?

nah, let Waugh go

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
personally, I'd take Waugh over Daniel Braid. And next year over Andrew Shaw.

yeah, but Waugh does not play for the Reds, he plays for the Tahs, so he can head off OS if he wants

Status
Not open for further replies.