• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Physically Imposing XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
After developing some love for Pocock and Sonny Bill today because they are without doubt two of the most physically fit and imposing players in world rugby, it got me thinking what a team full of this player type would look like. Obviously players like James O'Connor or Ben Robinson don't really fit the bill.

Think big, fast, dominate. Current players only.

Here's mine quickly:

1. Sheridan
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Bekker
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Spies

9. Genia
10. Carter
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Nonu
13. SBW
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Kearney

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Pocock is wide and undoubtedly very fit, but I don't think he's tall enough to really be labelled physically imposing.

Team would have to be long on the Boks I would have thought. Botha/Burger are 2 glaring ommissions.

gotta be a more physically imposing 10 than DC as well! Although, I can't think of one. Maybe Luke McA.. he's kind of crap these days, but he's still pretty large for a 10. I think mine would be something like

Mas, TPN, Hayman, Botha, Bekker, Burger, Kaino, Spies, Genia, LMA, Gear, Nonu, SBW, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Toeava

Toeava by default because I can't think of a big powerful, imposing FB. - maybe Francois Steyn?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wilkinson is probably still the most physically confronting 10 around. Digby Ioane at wing, with Toeva at 15.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gotta have Bakkies. I still think Spies is a showpony, same with Higgers.

Francois Steyn is a terrible liability in defence.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
9. Genia Mike Phillips of Wales is 6'3" & 100 kgs. If you are interesting in someone heavier, future club prop Peri Peri Weepu has got to be 105 kgs.

12. Nonu Jamie Roberts of Wales is 6'4" and 107 kgs. He should be playing no8.

And that's where I got before I fell over and died of boredom.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is fun for those who have done their Xmas shopping, but sorry fellows, some of those guys are pussycats compared to mine and much uglier. I have supposed that the determinants are:

- played tests in 2010
- are hard bastards

1. Soane Tonga'huia (Tonga)
2. Marius Tincu (Romania)
3. Martin Castogiovanni (Italy)
4. Bakkies Botha (South Africa)
5. Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
6. David Wallace (Ireland)
7. David Pocock (Australia)
8. Imanol Harinordoquy (France)
9. Mike Phillips (Wales)
10. Butch James (South Africa)
11. Alesana Tuilagi (Samoa)
12. Seilala Mapusua (Samoa)
13. Mike Tindall (England)
14. Sireli Bobo (Fiji)
15. Zane Kirchner (South Africa)

Notes:
2. Tincu – provided madmen are eligible.
3. Adam Jones – Honourable mention
6. Usually plays 7 but is not a fetcher and both he and Pocock had to be in anyway.
9. F du Preez, if he were current

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not that I want to get between Mr and Mrs Palu here but I agree, Palu (at his best) all the way

Reactions: DPK

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Isn't the idea of the thread "physically imposing" though?

You cant deny that Spies is physically imposing. Simliar physique to Pocock (my thoughts on him above) but a few inches taller. He could arguably be the first name on the list.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I guess I read it as one who imposes his physicality on the game as opposed to just size and how ripped he is. In that case I would change my team and go for those attributes more, but I can't be bothered.

T

Train Without a Station

You cant deny that Spies is physically imposing. Simliar physique to Pocock (my thoughts on him above) but a few inches taller. He could arguably be the first name on the list.

Physically imposing from the waist up perhaps. The guy has twigs for legs in the context of rugby union forwards.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mark Chisholm has big arms. Does this make him physically imposing? Don't make Bruce Ross come in and teach us all about strength versus rippedness.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

I don't see being excessively ripped as being physically imposing at all. It reminds me of bodybuilders - eew. Spies is a wide runner and show pony who waves opponents in to score.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mark Chisholm has big arms. Does this make him physically imposing? Don't make Bruce Ross come in and teach us all about strength versus rippedness.

No, it makes him physically cartoonish. To me, physically imposing is what the player does with it, not what it looks like. Therefore Spies, Chisolm, Banahan, Nadolo, and unfortunately Higginbroken are not imposing. Higginunbroken might be. Brad Thorn is.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I said big, fast and dominate - which means they have to physically smash people on the rugby field like LG suggests. That's why I didn't mention anyone like Chisholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.