• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Physically Imposing XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd prefer to be hit by a car than the Chiropractor
[video=youtube;DF8ctts9LOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8ctts9LOk[/video]

[video=youtube;SNWxwtYtoRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNWxwtYtoRQ&feature=related[/video]

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
You could argue AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, allowing for another big 13 like a Jauzion or someone to step in.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee is that Fergie McCormick, fullback for canterbury and new zealand

Apparently he was 5ft 7 and 74 kgs, he doesn't sound very imposing too me haha

Again we have the size v. physicality issue. People who were tackled by Fergi (his preferred spelling) felt physically dominated, believe me.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You could argue AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, allowing for another big 13 like a Jauzion or someone to step in.

But then you remember AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) palming off Jauzion recently and change your mind.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gotta have Bakkies. I still think Spies is a showpony, same with Higgers.

Francois Steyn is a terrible liability in defence.

Serious question. Do you really think so? I remember him slipping and falling over in a test match in Aus at some stage and it seems he has been labelled a poor defensive player since over here in Oz.

His defensive record for the boks at 12 and 15 has been nothing but excellent and when he played 13 on the EOYT I was worried but he came through it very well.

I don't know if you have some examples but his defense in my opinion is one of his strenghts and in all the Racing games I've watched so far this year he has been superb on D.

PS If you want an imposing 4 its Brad Thorn or Botha. Horwill is a great player but has some ways to go.

Alexander a physically imposing 3 based on tries on the wing for the Ponies? You jest. Jones is the best and gets around the park just dandy.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't see being excessively ripped as being physically imposing at all. It reminds me of bodybuilders - eew. Spies is a wide runner and show pony who waves opponents in to score.

As a Bulls man, I agreed 100% with you until November 2010. He stood up physically in the Ireland and English tests like I have never seen him do before. He is no mongrel 8 like Palu. But he is adding a tighter dimension to his play and it's becoming more and more convincing and he is becoming a better player for it. I predict a massive 2011 for Spies who is still learning forward play after online doing it for three years.

If I had to pick an SA eight in a shitfight, it's Duane Vermeulen all the way to the last trench.

Palu gets my overall vote though.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Serious question. Do you really think so? I remember him slipping and falling over in a test match in Aus at some stage and it seems he has been labelled a poor defensive player since over here in Oz.

His defensive record for the boks at 12 and 15 has been nothing but excellent and when he played 13 on the EOYT I was worried but he came through it very well.

I don't know if you have some examples but his defense in my opinion is one of his strenghts and in all the Racing games I've watched so far this year he has been superb on D.

PS If you want an imposing 4 its Brad Thorn or Botha. Horwill is a great player but has some ways to go.

Alexander a physically imposing 3 based on tries on the wing for the Ponies? You jest. Jones is the best and gets around the park just dandy.

He can make a good dominant tackle if someone can run straight towards his shoulder, but have a look at the Wobs vs SA test in Bloem. The O'Connor and Mitchell tries embarrassed his defensive positioning; in both occasions he ended up standing with hands on hips after missung everything.

Maybe it's just when he plays fullback, but he really does look like a headless chook in defense a lot of the time.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Steyn is a pretty poor player all round. He has this amaizing ability to kick the shit out of a football but that is about it. To me he looks like he does not apply himself as he should and has the potential to be a far better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.