• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Despite the rain pissing down over Sydney, we've still got a game on today! :yay We had to move it over to Macquarie Uni but hopefully we still have good numbers turn up. I'm about to head to the pub to see who needs a lift. Should be lots of scrums today 8)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Made it back. :)

Ground was in surprisingly good condition with only one large-ish puddle of any note (about 8 feet across). And we didn't turn up with more than about 28 blokes, meanwhile Macquarie Uni had all their blokes on deck (including their Third Grade playing a Halligan Cup game against Convicts) and did us in both Grades.

In Second Grade we simply weren't patient enough despite owning them in contact pick n drive, with our verbal discipline also poor - and for once I wasn't the one shooting my mouth off. I carried the ball into contact a fair bit and got a point (in the coach's 3-2-1) for my efforts in that and the scrum. Lost 5-15 but with a little patience could have won that easily.

First Grade had four blokes back up after a full game of Seconds, and the Uni boys had their game faces on well and truly and had been warming up for an hour. They played really smart wet weather footy (rained intermittently) and we had no real bench to call on, and copped a red card early in the Second Half. I came on when we ran out of reserves and got myself hammered at THP before switching to LHP. 13-11 pretty much reflected the flow of the game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Couldn't go along today (wife decided she needed a Saturday to herself to go see "Chicago" - silence when I implied that she'd already seen and therefore knew what how it ended, so what was the point?) but the boys travelled to Rockdale. Second Grade got up 17-14 with 4 new blokes turning up and Firsts got pumped 29-5 due to having only 9 blokes fresh for the game.

Its the first time ever that Seconds have won but First Grade lost on the same day. And its easily the largest losing margin First have ever suffered (the previous margins being 1 in the 2008 Grand Final, and 2 last week). What really shits me about my unavailability is that the props who played the whole Second Grade game had to play the whole First Grade game. They'll be feeling it today no doubt but I wish it was me.

What's really worrying is that we've used about 70 players this year, and only a few weeks ago were talking about a 3rd Grade in Halligan Cup so that everyone could get a run. Now we can barely scrape 25 players together for two Grades. Of First Grade, there are about three injured and two suspended but other than those had church commitments (honestly - church on a frickin SATURDAY ::)) there are about 10 that just don't bother to turn up to training or match day, and can't even be bothered calling anyone about it.

At least we get a week off, and hopefully recover a few injured players in time for Oakhill on the 13th. Otherwise we face the very real prospect of losing to them in First Grade for the first time ever (we regularly beat them 50-blot) and Seconds are no sure thing.

On the bright side, we're still in 2nd spot in First Grade and in the top 6 for Seconds. I reckon, with our draw from here and a bit of commitment, we can still go on to win both comps AND the club championship. We don't run into any particularly hard teams from here, and know we can beat everyone left in our side of the draw in the runup to the finals. We just need those players back for the last 8 weeks of the comp.

B

boarman

Well 2 games have passed since i was last on here.
We lost 20-19 to Bermagui in the worst piece of refereeing in my entire career of rugby which is just over 30 years.The ref was dead set cheating against us.The penalty count was a ridiculous 50-12, that has to be some record.We were lucky that we only lost by 1 point.We should of overcome the refs poor performance but we were a little flat on the day.

Last weeks game was refereed by the top ref in the group and it ended up a very free flowing game.We triumphed 39-20 to remain top of the table.

General bye this weekend for club games but we have the Brumbies Provincial Challenge at Batemans Bay with Monaro Zone, Southern Inland Zone and our Zone South Coast Rugby involved.
We will only have 2 training sessions together as a team and i think its not an ideal preparation.We had the first one tonight and the coach calls a beep test, WTF was he thinking, if we are not fit now then we wont be any fitter by the weekend.Luckily at level 3 the disc fucked up, so we were spared it.
Besides that we had a good hit out but still noone knows what positions they are playing .

What we need is cohesion and a few set plays.

Will let you all know how we go .We have a game on Saturday against Monaro then game on Monday against Southern Inland.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies are also on a break this weekend, except for those poor saps who have wet weather catch-ups (if the weather even holds...). The Renegades are going to take the opportunity for a bit of navel-gazing, getting everyone together to talk about WTF is wrong at the moment and why blokes think they can just turn up whenever they want.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
The Renegades are going to take the opportunity for a bit of navel-gazing, getting everyone together to talk about WTF is wrong at the moment and why blokes think they can just turn up whenever they want.

Will anybody turn up for that ? :lmao:

F

formeropenside

naza said:
NTA said:
The Renegades are going to take the opportunity for a bit of navel-gazing, getting everyone together to talk about WTF is wrong at the moment and why blokes think they can just turn up whenever they want.

Will anybody turn up for that ? :lmao:

they will if there is beer

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Having looked at this thread I should report in on the goings on with the Rammys. We have been getting flogged each week and have not troubled the scoreboard attendants most weeks. We apparently lost a lot of quality players at the end of last year to St. Pats in Subbies who could afford to pay them (we are broke at the moment and relying on players paying their fees). I have been getting up for work at 4am and been excused from training, but apparently not many have been turning up. Every week in both grades we have failed to field the same combinations which has affected our cohesion. It is very frustrating as some of the young blokes are not putting in - we have a giant young second rower, 19yrs old who walks around the field! We also lost our entire first grade coaching panel by the first week of the season which didn't help.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Another game another loss. Last week we had a heap of reserves as it was a home game, this week we had 2 (luckily my brother decided to have a run otherwise it would have been 1). The only reason the players from last week (including the captain) didn't come was because they couldn't be arsed driving 20 minutes to the Warnervale ground. We were leading at half-time thanks to a charge down, though we lost 4 players during the match to fatigue and injury finishing the last 15 minutes with 13 men. We lost the game vut not without showing a lot of heart. I talked to the boys at full-time and implored them to back up next week as it was the only way we were going to improve as a team. I hope they listened.

B

boarman

We got smashed 54-7 against Monaro, but its what you could expect with only 2 nights training.Lost 95% of our lineouts, Lost 80% of our scrums.Cant see any team winning when you cant get your own ball.
The little ball we did get was kicked away .

Its a shame cause we did play good rugby in patches, and we were reduced to 13 men at one stage when a yellow card was handed out and not long after a red card.

Monaro beat Southern Inland today 29-15 to win the Brumbies Cup.

We play Southern Inland tomorrow in what shapes up to be an even harder game than yesterday's cause their scrum anilihated Monaro's today.

B

boarman

Today wasn't much better. We were walloped 60-12 by Southern Inland and they started the game with their 2nd stringers.

Oh well there's always next year , and with a much better preparation ( more than 2 training sessions) we should go a lot better.Its just a shame for the players though , to get flogged cause of ill preparation.There is no excuses for it , especially when its a representative side.

What are other peoples thoughts on this.

Does a Rep team need to train more than two sessions?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think a Rep team should be able to squeeze in about two sessions - the problem is getting players from all the different clubs on the same field to get some practice. In the end you're just going to end up agreeing on particular plays that one bloke decides are what's going to happen, and hopefully the coach is either instigating that or will agree to it.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
The team had its first win in 3 years today. It came on the back of us getting 15 guys down to training on Thursday night and having subs. I was selected to captain the boys for the first time today whivh was a huge thrill and I had a huge smile on the dial at full-time when we got the win up. 24-12 with a bonus point. The boys were pumped with the win and I am hoping it will spur them to continue training as a team. Hope the bye next week doesn't ruin our momentum.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades made a short trip over to Oakhill College to take on Oakhill Old Boys.

I should explain for those who don't know, that Oakhill beat us in the Second Grade grand final in 2008, and fairly handsomely too given it was a wet game. Our Seconds haven't beaten them since the club's very first game in Round 1, 2007. The reason behind this is that they routinely stack their seconds because they didn't think they had a chance in First Grade (they were right). Things appear to have changed recently for them, with their results suggesting they are actually putting out their best side in First Grade.

Things weren't looking good at 1.45PM, with only half a second grade team ready to play and 15 minutes to kickoff. Fortunately the ref was running a bit late too so we kicked off around 1405 with a full side and reserves when a bunch of new guys turned up after the first whistle.

Seconds started fairly slowly. I played the whole game at loosehead prop and got busy smashing their THP who was a mouthy fluffybunny and kept lying on the wrong side of our ball (I did shoe him at one point but it didn't stop him lying there next time - fair play to him). Their LHP wasn't doing any better at scrum time (big fat kid with little experience) so they swapped to try and at least protect their own feed. This was proven to be a mistake when I started driving the new THP back over his second row. Its a great feeling when you see the other bloke's feet off the ground and can change into second gear so to speak. It must be said they were pretty soft in the T5 - put it this way: when we threw a couple not straight in the second half, they opted for the lineout, not the scrum.

A couple of stupid offload attempts and a couple of stupid kicks prevented us getting any first half momentum despite having all the territory and possession, and Oakhill picked up two easy tries and a penalty off our mistakes to go 15-5 up at halftime. They play for field position a lot - I got a chance to make one tackle (and stuffed up) but there was no chance of them attempting to run it if they could help matters. There wasn't much to do defensively except jog back after kicks.

In the second half it was all Renegades as we cut out the bullshit and started to play some hard rugby up front. Besides turning over nearly every scrum feed they had, I caused another one by driving a bloke off the ruck, which led to a try. I'm still too bloody unfit to be more than occasionally involved if the ball moves too far from the ruck, but I made a few runs and, besides getting dumped on my back and losing the ball once, made about 20 yards all up I reckon, and shed a couple of tackles on the way. We won 24-15 with the bonus point (won the second half 19-zip). VERY satisfying.

Firsts were a patchwork team again, and it showed as they went behind 8-nil early on. They caught up to 8-all at halftime and went ahead just afterwards with a penalty, then it seesawed a bit as Oakhill's obvious team training went up against our lot's natural skill. They lead changed a couple of times before we finished them off with two quick tries, nabbing the bonus point in the process to take it 30-22.

Hopefully, with next week being a home game, we get a cast of thousands turn up. We're playing Fairvale who will field a big pack of fast Islanders and try to run over us. I'm looking forward to us putting them away with a bit of structured rugby.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Out for 4 weeks with a broken hand. Just as we had won 2 in a row for the first time this season and starting to build momentum. :angryfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.