• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Playing rugby in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oakhill turned up to pick a fight yesterday in both Grades, but basically forfeited seconds. In First Grade they were getting hammered about 60-odd to nil and then started a fight for no fucking reason, resulting in a red card either way. Its fucking bullshit that they're still allowed in this comp.

The weirdest thing about it is last time we played they were relatively clean (a bit niggly) and quite competitive. This time they were just back to the way they were last year.

R

rugbywhisperer

Cutter said:
Forwards dont kick and backs keep your hands out of your pockets.

Gotta keep them warm somehow. Antway, the chances are they will tear a finger nail on the combe if they put them in

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Had a heartbreaking 5 point loss on the weekend in a game we should have won. Every time we got ourselves in the game we gifted the opposition an easy 5 pointer. I went off injured in the first half, was in a ruck and one of their players came in from the side and cleaned me out. Not sure what he did but I had fire down my arm and pins and needles in my hand. Physio advised me not to go back out there even though I was feeling better 10 minutes later.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sounds like a "stinger" D - hit you on the nerve. The physio was right: if you'd gone back out there without giving it a decent rest, you might have had permanent damage.

B

boarman

We play Bermagui Sharks tomorrow and it should be a great game.Although they are coming 4th on the table they are the only team to have beaten us this year with a 1 point victory on their home ground.This time we play on our ground and it has been a graveyard for opposing teams over the last 2 and 1/2 years.The game could also become a bit fiery and with the same ref as last time it promises to be a penaltyathon. This ref loves the spotlight and sees things others dont.

Will let you know how it goes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We have no game today - wet weather weekend - but there are wheels within wheels and fires within fires at the moment.

NTA said:
Oakhill turned up to pick a fight yesterday in both Grades, but basically forfeited seconds.

I made this comment last week but maybe its no longer relevant. we've been having a few headaches getting as many blokes as we can qualified into Second Grade. This meant that last Saturday (as a home game) guys who usually play Second Grade missed out on a spot in the XXII as we shifted some First XXII players down.

Oakhill, who didn't have the numbers to start Seconds, invited the leftovers to have a game and some of the idiots did. Naturally this is against all order and those players aren't welcome back at the club. After the game, won by Oakhill 19-7, an Oakhill committee member said that if we challenged the result they wouldn't fight it because he knew they'd used our registered players. Hence the forfeit comment.

As it is, several results happened to fall their way and suddenly a finals spot wasn't out of their grasp. Now the bastards want to challenge it and let the result stand. Doesn't matter to us in terms of finals because we're pretty secure in the top 6. But now Oakhill think they've got a chance and are willing to go back on their word.

So we're going through the motions. Some elements of Subbies think we're trying to stitch Oakhill up because we lost which is shit. Just that those dirty dogs don't deserve to be in the finals and will now stack their Seconds to get there. So time to get political.

The other advice they gave us? "You shouldn't have let the game start" - we told the fucking ref and he didn't do anything about it. What do you do in that situation? Refuse to take the field and risk a forfeit ourselves?

Fuck!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sometimes its funny tho: Our Club Secretary gets a call on his mobile asking where today's game was on... we don't have a game tomorrow! They were looking for the Oakhill phone! :lmao:

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Another week another flogging. This time we only had 12 players turn up and our first grade coach agreed to lend us his two wingers who we put out wide (mainly to keep fresh for first grade). Wedid well regardless of the final score as most of their tries were simple overlaps (one of our first grade wingers looked out of his depth even at this grade - funny watching him position himself where he was least likely to catch the ball). We had a brief period in the first half where we had 15 players (a retired player agreed to pull the boots on to help out) and managed to keep them tryless and put a try on ourselves. We lost two more players at half-time (some concert down in Sydney) and played the second half with 13 players. We ended up losing 64-5 but would have won with a full complement.

B

boarman

Firstly i would like to say that i played my 200th game of 1st grade yesterday , becoming only the second person to achieve this feat.As we only play 12-16 games a season this effort holds a special place with me.

To the game.....

Well it was as i said the other day, the ref liked hearing his whistle too much, yellow carding 1 of our players for a high tackle that wasnt deliberate, yellow carding another one of our players for pushing one of the opposition and yellow carding 1 of their players for pushing back, definitely not worthy of yellow cards.

The game wasnt much to watch as it was very scrappy, lots of free kicks and penalties, plenty of missed tackles etc etc. It was a good game to get out of the way.But a win is a win.And our players really dug deep when reduced to 13 players.
The scoreline was 37-28 in our favour but could of been much better in our favour had we kicked our conversions.only 1/7 .
The win secured us the minor premiership with only 1 game remaining before the semis.

I had a strong game in defense but it was topped off towards the end when we were only leading 32-28 and pinned in our 22, i took a pass and set off around their defence and making a break of 30 metres before linking up with our winger who when cornered put in a grubber kick to the line and i had remained in support to win the race to the ball and score a great try which i shall remember as it was good to score in my 200th game..As a surprise i was named players player and the club presented me with a beautiful plaque to honour the occasion.

Another hard game next week when we play Narooma at our homeground.Plenty to work on but with a good week training we will get there.

Until next week

The Boarman

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice work Boarman! :thumb

I'm going to be playing my 30th (starting) game next weekend for the Renegades, and 45th overall. Well, that's what the official records say :) Its more like about 42 I think :nta:

In any case, I am awed by your achievement!

B

boarman

I actually think i could have another 100 left in me.

Next on the achievement hitlist will be 100 tries, i think i need about 10 more.Then it is onto 220 games, currently the most games played.

Thanks

R

rugbywhisperer

Mate anyone who plays 200 games for anyone must be applauded - how is the body holding up.
Sincerest congratulations and tinge of jealosy.

B

boarman

So far the body is holding up well, im only 39 so if i can squeeze out another 6-7 years i could get maybe another 100.
Well i will be trying anyway.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
We had an away game today so only 12 guys took the effort to be there. We borrowed some of the opposition's players as they had a chance of making the semis and weren't too bad a club (they have struggled for many years alongside ours). We had a bit of a go after we ensured they got the bonus point win and made them work for their tries. I only have 3 more games to go before retirement so have decided to just go out their and have fun. Not really worried any more - would still like a couple of wins though. If anyone has a bye round and is not doing anything bring your boots up to the Central Coast and have a run as we could really use the players.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hosted Lane Cove yesterday who were obviously struggling for numbers. Started Second Grade at loosehead prop and we pretty much dominated from the outset, turning them several times and rock solid on our own ball. We wrapped up the bonus point within the first 25 minutes and I don't think Lane Cove saw the ball more than 6 times in the first half. When they did, we'd turn them over in contact. It must have been about 6 tries to nil by halftime when I got subbed off. Our scrum was still fairly dominant until the other starting prop was subbed off. I was disappointed not to go back on at hooker because I'd been throwing well at practice and we need a backup. Anyways, the boys got to 54-nil up and then let in two very soft tries due to poor communication on defense. 54-12.

First Grade dropped a heap of ball but still ran out 74-nil winners. The most pleasing part of the whole day was a complete lack of yellow cards!

B

boarman

Well the final game of the rounds was played yesterday.We played Narooma at our ground and what a game it was.A very tough physical match with 2 players on our side going off injured, 5 players from their team, one taken away in an ambulance with dislocated knee, he sqealed like a pig.
There is no love lost between the 2 of us and no quarter was given.
1 yellow card and a red card was handed out, this time to them.

With a scoreline of 7-7 at halftime it could and should of been more to Narooma as they were camped in territory for the majority of the 1st half, only determined resilient defence kept them out.
The 2nd half began with 2 quick converted tries to us for a 21-7 lead, this is when complacency crept in and we stopped doing the hard yards, we simply thought we had done enough.
Narooma came back strong and dominated the next 25 mins to put 3 tries on us and lead 26-21 with 10 mins to go.
We a never say die attitude we clawed our way back into there 22 and attacked time and time again only to come up short.With 4 minutes to go a collapsed maul brought about the squeals, you would of thought that his neck had been slit.The game came to a halt and the ambulance was called.Our momentum had been temporarily stopped.
After 10 mins the ambulance turned up and 5 mins later he was loaded into the van.
Now we could get on with trying to win this game.
2 attacking raids later and we thought we were in but the ref ruled a dropped ball, scrum to them.The kick failed to go out and our livewire fullback(only 17) brought the ball back and beat several defenders before coming to the sideline, with him being dragged out he passed the ball back inside where i was on hand to pick it up and score out wide.The opposition were going mad at the ref and linesman saying he went out but clearly the ball was passed back in before he went out.After a few hesitant moments the ref awarded the try much to our jubilation.
The conversion was right on target but fell short under the crossbar, and we escaped with a draw. 26-26.

Next weekend brings the semis and both games will be played at same ground.(Bombala)
In a replay of this weeks game we play Narooma Whales in what will surely be another spiteful game, but this time we will have our 2 centres back plus a couple of our forwards.This game will be worth the admission, with the winner getting the home ground grand final.

The minor semi will be between Bombala and Bermagui and this game could go either way.

Stay tuned for more South Coast Rugby

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sounds like a good hard game boarman - I hope the touch judge was a neutral or those things can get ugly quickly!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Travelled to Macquarie Uni yesterday for what was expected to be two tough games. They held the distinction of being the only club never to have lost a game to us even though that was only one fixture per Grade. Notice I said "held" 8)

The Second Grade game was pretty tight to start with - I observed this from the bench. Our kicking was abysmal, handing Uni some easy field position. Our scrum looked pretty good but our lineout was still a little wobbly mainly because we only had one jumping option. Uni took two penalties early for a 6-nil lead before we struck back with a converted try. Then a bullshit lucky bounce gave them another try (unconverted), which they took into the break 11-7.

We threw some replacements on at halftime including yours truly, who was also handed the lineout throwing duties despite not having practiced in the warmup (I'd been begging the coach). I went to loosehead prop, with the guy there moving to tighthead for what I consider is our strongest scrummaging combo. That allowed things to ramp up at scrum time and I can pretty much say dominance ensued :)

My lineout throwing was fairly accurate in terms of where I wanted it to go, but of four throws I had two stolen. One of them bounced back to their halfback who I caught in the 5m channel and smashed over the sideline. The other was lost at 4 on the Uni fingertips when I was trying to hit our openside flanker at the back. The other two were a picture-perfect lob to 5 and a quick throw to 2 at waist height when we caught their lineout napping. I might get asked back at this rate :) I also put in a fairly handy downfield kick when I could see nothing was on outside - the Uni bloke dropped it behind him (fortunate) and that gave us just enough time for us to get to him; necessary as he was bloody quick. Two other forwards and I got there and turned him over. I didn't get to make a lot of tackles in open play, but I think defensively I was positioned fairly well. My best game of the year methinks.

In any case, we had some very large lads out there and started to wear the students down, running in another three tries (two converted) to their solitary penalty goal to take it 26-14. Our scrum started to falter when the last prop replacement came on at tighthead and we got turned - he's not exactly crash hot and the bastards had been step-wheeling all day. I got penalised once for boring in but when the bastard drops his bind and won't push against you, what are you supposed to do?

With that win Second Grade locked in 4th place on the table, and one can only imagine how well we could have gone if we'd had those sorts of numbers and playing talent from the start of the year. We're really starting to gel in the forwards and our pick n go driving is looking good. Looking at the table and the likely results, we'll be playing Rockdale in the first week of finals who like us are a mix of cuzzys and pakeha. We beat them at their home ground (I was not there) 17-14 earlier in the year with team significantly less able than the one we've got now.

First Grade were missing their star #8 and really had to grind out the win 19-16. This was enough to take our Third Consecutive 5th Div Club Championship IF we don't get any more red cards in the last game next week. We're more than likely to win both games convincingly but I really want to get our patterns sorted for the finals - especially my lineout throwing...

B

boarman

Well the mighty Boars smashed the Narooma Whales 38-12 in the major semi final, to secure us the grand final at our home ground.
Everyone stepped up a level yesterday and the scrum was strong, they went decontested after 30 mins of 1st half( its bullshit that nothing can be done to stop this. Our lineout was the best it has been all year, we got to the rucks quicker , all in all a very good win.Their 2 tries came from a kick where they got a favourable bounce and the other try was in the corner where the corner post was taken out, but in the end it didnt matter.

We now have 2 weeks to fine tune a few things and then we meet the winner of Bermagui(who scored after the final whistle to beat Bombala 36-34) and Narooma.

Its going to be a huge day at the Bay.

Will let you know who our opponent will be.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
boarman said:
the scrum was strong, they went decontested after 30 mins of 1st half( its bullshit that nothing can be done to stop this.

Yeah the other crap thing is that if you take the tap you MUST wait until they're back 10m in Subbies rugby. But if your opposition don't bring a reserve prop AND reserve hooker and call uncontested, then they don't get to bring on ANY replacements in the rest of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.