• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Possibles vs Probables Friday 3rd August 6.45pm kickoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Of course thats why we never have the same 2 teams just slug it out ever weekend. I think move it arpund sydney charge 20 -30 bucks for adults.. get tge players to stay after for photos and action the jerseys or give them out too kids.. nexts years super jersey should be some kinda 5 team mashed together and the wallabies in a traditional aborignal jersey.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep. With WSR suggesting that they will be running a 14 week competition and the apparent push to move Super Rugby back to a single round robin of a similar length I think they're certainly an opportunity to expand on what does appear to be an interest in watching local content in more intimate settings.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I suppose intimate settings and cheap tickets isn't exactly a recipe for a financially viable game though, sadly.

And here we come to the great rugby dilemma, where the business of sport clashes with the people that want to watch it, and the places they want to go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst they could have helped the situation somewhat by having more of the facilities open, it was nigh on impossible to get food or beer at Leichhardt. Queues were outrageous.

The Tahs game at Brookvale was great this year from a viewing perspective but also featured long queues for anything. The facilities at the suburban grounds become very trying after a while. If you want to actually see the game you can't expect to also be able to eat and drink.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Whilst they could have helped the situation somewhat by having more of the facilities open, it was nigh on impossible to get food or beer at Leichhardt. Queues were outrageous.

The Tahs game at Brookvale was great this year from a viewing perspective but also featured long queues for anything. The facilities at the suburban grounds become very trying after a while. If you want to actually see the game you can't expect to also be able to eat and drink.
I watched last years Shute shield final at North Sydney from the beer queue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I suppose intimate settings and cheap tickets isn't exactly a recipe for a financially viable game though, sadly.

And here we come to the great rugby dilemma, where the business of sport clashes with the people that want to watch it, and the places they want to go.

As someone who spent plenty of time going to Leichhardt Oval in my youth, while I love it as a venue I wouldn't say that it was where I would put a rugby fixture. Hard to get to either driving or public transport I used to get the ferry and the 440 bus - but there aren't even bus stands at East Circular Quay anymore, just restaurants) and not really in a traditional rugby stronghold. I was a little surprised they held it there, but I'm pleased that plenty of supporters turned up.

This is in no way meant as a criticism of those who selected the venue, I realise that it was put on at short notice and the choice of venue would have been limited.

What I take out of it is that Australians want to watch Australian teams playing. But, I don't base this view on this game alone, I base it on what happens across the Australian sporting landscape. It's just what Australians want with their sport and if people spent less time finding reasons why it can't happen and more time on finding a way that it can happen, it would be a reality.

And I'd add, that games don't need to draw 30 or 40 thousand to domestic Australian games to make it vialble - the average Aviva Premiership crowd is 13,000 (and rising) while the average Top crowd id 12,000 (and falling). Most of these games are played at smaller stadia - like Concord Oval for example.

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/wit...e-top-14-is-starting-to-lose-its-lustre-75990

Who'd have thought a decade ago that we'd have a professional national netball league in Australia, which not only draws good crowds to games but is live on FTA every week?

If rugby can't do it, then the game has no future in this country.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it would have drawn a bigger crowd at North Sydney Oval, or maybe Brookvale.

But I'm not sure it would have worked at the SFS. Something about a grass hill and a more intimate setting.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think it would have drawn a bigger crowd at North Sydney Oval, or maybe Brookvale.

But I'm not sure it would have worked at the SFS. Something about a grass hill and a more intimate setting.

Look at the crowd that turned out for the Tahs at Brookvale. They'd definitely have drawn more if it were hosted there. But the event was 'sponsored' by Warren Livingstone's We Love Rugby and we all know how tied to Leichardt Oval he is. I am finding the discussion a little bewildering at the moment. Some have held the position for some time that may be the interest in watching two Australian teams isn't there. This event which was thrown together proved otherwise. Then they moved the goalposts to hold onto that the turn out was helped by the fact it was free suggesting that people wouldn't be willing to pay. Which I suspect isn't the case if the offering on hand is of the necessary quality. Now it's the grounds that would make it unworkable. The semmelweis effect is strong.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it's a bit simplistic to cite this game as evidence a local-only comp would work.

This was a unique concept, and featured the Wallabies (with a few notable absentees) playing a team of up-and-coming Super players.

Of course the interest is strong for watching a local product, but let's not pretend that a local comp would ever look anything like that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Look at the crowd that turned out for the Tahs at Brookvale. They'd definitely have drawn more if it were hosted there. But the event was 'sponsored' by Warren Livingstone's We Love Rugby and we all know how tied to Leichardt Oval he is. I am finding the discussion a little bewildering at the moment. Some have held the position for some time that may be the interest in watching two Australian teams isn't there. This event which was thrown together proved otherwise. Then they moved the goalposts to hold onto that the turn out was helped by the fact it was free suggesting that people wouldn't be willing to pay. Which I suspect isn't the case if the offering on hand is of the necessary quality. Now it's the grounds that would make it unworkable. The semmelweis effect is strong.

Indeed WCR, just when you think that all the issues have been solved, up comes another reason why an Australian domestic league won't work.

Just like it took years to convince many the the ARU et al were incompetent (and there's still a few manning the barricades who won't accept that the ARU/RA bear any responsibility for the state of the game). I used to get frustrated, now I just shake my head and smile - sometimes I let out an audible laugh.:):)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it's a bit simplistic to cite this game as evidence a local-only comp would work.

This was a unique concept, and featured the Wallabies (with a few notable absentees) playing a team of up-and-coming Super players.

Of course the interest is strong for watching a local product, but let's not pretend that a local comp would ever look anything like that.

Which is why is specifically said in post #166 (on this page) that I wasn't relying on this game as the sole piece of evidence.

(This is where I shake my head and smile WCR)

Please see post 166 to save me retyping.:)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Thanks QH for the delightful condescension. And taking a nice discussion and turning it into every other thread on this place - where people are branded into 'believers' and 'non-believers' and we spend seventeen pages going around in circles.

What a shame, it was going so well.

I'm out.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Could be worse. Medieval theologians used to debate the number of angels who could dance on the head of a pin.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Probably only free because it was put together at fairly short notice.

Significantly, I note that it was a Michael Cheika initiative to which RA acquiesced rather than an RA initiative.
Bit late to this but last time the ARU tried to have a trial match the players basically went on strike - if there was a financial gain then they wanted match payments.

At $10,000 a player/match that gets unsustainable very quickly.

Have no idea if true for this match, but I wonder if RUPA agreed to the trial match under a no payment condition

Edit - was in 2009
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/there-will-be-blood-wednesdays-twist/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bit late to this but last time the ARU tried to have a trial match the players basically went on strike - if there was a financial gain then they wanted match payments.

At $10,000 a player/match that gets unsustainable very quickly.

Have no idea if true for this match, but I wonder if RUPA agreed to the trial match under a no payment condition

Edit - was in 2009
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/there-will-be-blood-wednesdays-twist/

Could they just say well if you dont turn out you wont be selected for australia..

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Could they just say well if you dont turn out you wont be selected for australia..

Sure. (Depending on what the CBA says)) And RUPA calls their bluff?

I don't think it's unreasonable for pro players to expect be paid

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sure. (Depending on what the CBA says)) And RUPA calls their bluff?

I don't think it's unreasonable for pro players to expect be paid

So then the tickets cost more.. Im just saying it wouldnt be a bad little money spinner with some flash too it.. send it around different places etc..get it yearly have some fun with it

Status
Not open for further replies.