• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Potential upsets at this years WC - year of the minnow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
How come their squad doesn't have a scrum-half or fly half and only one person covering the back 3. Their forwards may be strong but they will certainly be shown up in the backs.

Exactly right - they play a 10 man rugby game because they have no backs, but their forward pack is definitely up there with Argentina/Scotland etc. Scotland dont exactly have a backline either which is why I think they can do it.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of the best games I've seen in all RWC tournaments was the Fiji v France quarterfinal in Auckland for the 1987 version...the Fijian fullback lost grip on the ball at half way with the line wide open...and from my best recollection, it was the deciding moment in the game...France went onto make the final after beating Wobs in the famous semi final.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
France to knock over NZ in the pool match. Sounds a bit odd but we are talking about the French.

If there is one game that the Kiwis will get up for it's France in a world cup, at home in Auckland.

I think the frogs are going to get their arse kick real hard.

alex5545

Bob McCowan (2)
Argentina to beat the French again lol. Hardly minnows but still funny how they did that twice at the last World Cup with the 2nd time being a thrashing.

For a minnow upset I would say there will be bound to be an islander side to knock one of the six nations sides out of the tournament. I am looking at Ireland atm since they played poorly in all their warm up games.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
They've got some pretty good props, one impressive guy in the backrow with Gorgodze but that's all... If the Scots take them seriously, they shouldn't worry that much.
There is still a gap between the Six Nations countries and the European B Tournament ones.

Nevertheless they are now stronger than the decreasing Romania which used to be much stronger than what it is now despite having a team playing the challenge cup.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
If there is one game that the Kiwis will get up for it's France in a world cup, at home in Auckland.

I think the frogs are going to get their arse kick real hard.

There was two instances in world cups before where you would have thought the same! This is France don't forget - the AB's bogey team! As a wobs supporter - I hope they beat the french and finish top of their group - then we don't have to face them till the final.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Nevertheless they are now stronger than the decreasing Romania which used to be much stronger than what it is now despite having a team playing the challenge cup.

Romania don't seem to be strong anymore, they basically crawled over the line during qualifying. Only two decent players in Tonita and Tincu (both Perpignan I think).

A

antipodean

There was two instances in world cups before where you would have thought the same! This is France don't forget - the AB's bogey team! As a wobs supporter - I hope they beat the french and finish top of their group - then we don't have to face them till the final.
The infuriating part of Les Bleus is how well they can play the game if the switch goes on and how poorly they can play if they're disinterested. They remind me of Antaeus; the more they touch the Earth (longer they're in the game), the stronger they become.

I've not been impressed by France's form over the last couple of years and Lièvremont's schizophrenic selections hasn't helped. Unfortunately I think they'll once again be good for only one cracking match.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
^ Agree. I think they'll bid au revoir in the quarters against england, but of course we never know.

I will counter my above comment with immense bias and suggest that france will play their full strength team against japan, to give the players a run around and then rest much of their 1st XV against Canada with their eyes turned to the NZ match that comes with just 5 days rest.
Canada, fired up after defeating Tonga, will sense blood against what will effectively be the France 'A' team they defeated last year. A win for the male leafs will earn them a quarter final berth against england, where, sensing they are no chance, they will come out flying and ultimately repeat the performance in 95 of brawling their way to infamy.

ah but a man's dream should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?

I'd suggest Georgia are about where Italy was pre six nations. great forwards combined with limited backs. give them regular games against quality opposition and they'll start to come the goods. In the wet of Dunedin and Invercargill, where they play the Scots and England, I wouldnt underestimate them

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
^
I'd suggest Georgia are about where Italy was pre six nations. great forwards combined with limited backs. give them regular games against quality opposition and they'll start to come the goods. In the wet of Dunedin and Invercargill, where they play the Scots and England, I wouldnt underestimate them

Great description of where Georgia are at now. They are probably bit below the bottom of the 6 nations. Give them another 15-20 years and they will be another Argentina. They are investing heavily in junior rugby over there at the moment, and it is their number 1 sport. Really hope they can take a top scalp (scotland) this world cup.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
italy only joined only 11 years ago. so let's hope it doesn't take 20.

I remember there was a lot of discussion in the late 90's about whether it would be Canada who joined what was then the five nations. The plan was for European rugby leagues to allow canadians to play freely. Ultimately they went with Italy though and it's been great for the italian game.

Canada, USA, Russia, Georgia, Romania and Spain would be a great 'b' 6 nations tournament, but I doubt if anything resembling that sort of forsight will come to fruition any time soon.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well if you look at how the Italians have developed (in the last 5 years in particular) it is definatly possible Georgia could follow the same path. The Italians have improved significantly lately, I believe they will push the Irish and possibly beat them in the group stages. They are no longer the easy beats of the 6 Nations and for the most part are on par with the Scottish. They also boast a few players who would walk into most international sides (Parisse, Castrogiovanni).

I hope Georgia put in a great performance at the WC as I think it'll be brilliant for the game as a whole.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Canada, USA, Russia, Georgia, Romania and Spain would be a great 'b' 6 nations tournament, but I doubt if anything resembling that sort of forsight will come to fruition any time soon.
There is an existing European Nations Cup (the defacto 6 Nations B) played by Georgia, Portugal, Spain, Romania, Russia, Ukriane in Febuary and March at the same time as the 6N. Georgia has won it 3 of the last 4 years, and runner up the 4th.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Those Russia v Georgia games must be rather, um, fiery

Oh they are huge - the annual clashes are on par with a bledisloe cup clash between the ABs and the Wobs.

[video=youtube;2OsIRU-CERY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2OsIRU-CERY[/video]

[video=youtube;EY92uy-TkDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY92uy-TkDs&feature=related[/video]

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)

Assuming of course, that we top our group.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)

No Italy was stronger pre Six Nations, they had already beaten some Celtic Nations and had pretty good results against France and UK. They also had a decent national championship whereas the Georgian one is far from that. Great forward pack of course but as well good back like Diego Dominguez or Alessandro Troncon.
Georgia is not considered as a High Performance Team by the IRB. Pretty weird when you see that Romania, Japan, Canada and the US are.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I think it would make more sense to have Canada, Usa, Uruguay and Argentina B play their own 4 nations. Maybe introduce Brazil and Chile as the game grows.

On the world cup front, I think georgia will upset argentina but both of them will lose to the scots.

Status
Not open for further replies.