• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre-season trial : Brumbies v Force, Canberra 9 Feb (Updated)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know it’s only a pre-season trial, so expectations need to be realistic, but I’m looking forward to this.

There aren’t many questions around the Brumbies squad. Last years winners, low turnover, some promising young guns primed to compete for the vacant spots & well established, proven coaching staff.

On the flip side, I think everyone will be interested in the Force this year. The emerging narrative, as I see it, is that the Force are positioning themselves to be the new power house of Australian rugby. The only club with independent financial backing and a lot of focus on their emerging pathways and player development. Plus, the potential ability to lure OS based Australian players back which are beyond the budget of the other Australian teams who are being forced to operate under austerity measures. I think the approach taken there has been sensible - bring in OS talent at this stage to top up the squad and make sure they are competitive, not just in Super AU, but hopefully in TT as well. At the same time have a large squad of emerging, home grown players, underneath with a view to bringing them through over the next 2-3 years.

From on outsiders perspective these are the main points of interests for me -
- the performance of the Brumbies locks. Can Neville back up last years form. Which young guys will get their name to the top of the pile?
- Who will grab the 7 jersey?
- Can Lonergan challenge White to be the starting 9?
- I’ll concede I was a bit of a doubter in Lolesio initially, but I’m going the other way this year. He was so good last year I’m going to predict 2nd season blues won’t be an issue for him at all. Likewise I think Simone is just starting to kick on. But what does this mean for the likes of Pasitoa & Kuenzle?
- Personally I am also looking forward to seeing more of Ikitau who I’ve heard lots about but seen little of. And can Mack Hansen push through to the top side. He looks too good to me to be warming the bench.

On the Force side the questions really have to be can the get cohesion quickly enough in such an abbreviated comp. - how will Robertson & Kuridrani perform at their new teams.
- keen to see more of Ralston. Wing has suddenly become a position of more depth in Australian rugby but he looked very promising last year.
- I think there must also be still some doubt around the coaching team. Not that I think they have been poor as such, but they remain unproven at this level. Keen to see how they mould the talent at their disposal.

The other question i always have this time of year is who will be the emerging talent that will shake things up. Every season there is always 1-2 young guns who aren’t well know outside the inner circle who emerge, often at the expense of someone you thought was a definite starter themselves. Which players do the teams fans see making a name for themselves this year?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here is my tip: Whoever wins the trial will lose the opening round.

Keen to see what John McKee will value add to the Force. I thought he did a good job with EDIT: Fiji. Don't know why I wrote Scotland....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good summary TSR.

There aren't too many uunknowns in the Brumbies squad so not sure that I can nominate the surprise packets who might emerge.

My guess is that Jahrome Brown might make his mark in the 7 jersey.

Not sure that Ryan Lonergan will challenge Nic White but he will certainly be challenged himself by Fines.

Harry Lloyd would have the most difficult job forcing his way above one of Sio or Slipper. He might just cause Slipper to move to THP again if a problem presents itself on that side.

I expect Neville and Swain to be the favoured locking pair but will be looking for big things from Nick Frost whenever he gets a run.

I agree Mack Hanson has Super Rugby written all over him but can't see him displacing any of Banks, Wright, Kata or Muirhead in the outside backs.

The final of the SRAu is a must and would be great to see them take the championship again this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mentioned on the Western Force thread that the game has been canceled. Anyone confirm or otherwise?

Not confirmed, but its a bit hard to see how it could still go ahead given the Force cant leave WA until Friday night at the earliest. And unsure on the rules, but don’t think they can even train together this week.

Best case, they have an exception to train together through the lockdown, and the restrictions lift Friday night allowing the Force to catch a red eye flight across the country and play the Brumbies Saturday night in a trial...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Good summary TSR.

Not sure that Ryan Lonergan will challenge Nic White but he will certainly be challenged himself by Fines.

I am still not sold on White and think there are too many "old dog" issues like we got a preview of in the Super Rugby final. I can't see even if he learns some new tricks that he wont slip back and default to his "old dog" ways. I can still see him being the biggest risk to the Brumbies success so I actually think there is a good chance that Lonergan and Fines will get game time.

Always happy to eat humble pie down the track.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The good thing with half back is your reserve normally gets time anyway.

I’ve not seen much of Finnes or Lonergan, but from what I’ve seen they seem up to a level that they can be trusted with decent game time which gives them the opportunity to develop and, if they are good enough, can challenge White for the number 1 spot.

I won’t be surprised either if White gets either a late start and/or a few rests over the season course. I’d expect it likely he won’t play the trial given his workload over the international season.

If they are good enough to challenge this year great, but at least the Brumbies should have them primed for next season.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am still not sold on White and think there are too many "old dog" issues like we got a preview of in the Super Rugby final. I can't see even if he learns some new tricks that he wont slip back and default to his "old dog" ways. I can still see him being the biggest risk to the Brumbies success so I actually think there is a good chance that Lonergan and Fines will get game time.

Always happy to eat humble pie down the track.

I haven't always been a White fan, but I think he is a great 9. I think it is hard to judge him on the handful of games of the Super Rugby Au season. It is a lot to come in and get up to speed with such a short turn around. I thought he was fine for the Wallabies. That said, Fines and Lonergan are two great prospects and one of them might look elsewhere if game time isn't forthcoming this year.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I reckon Nic is the number one No 9 for this year, at least. Otherwise, why let Joe Powell go?

Lonergan is certainly proficient as well as being a top notch goal kicker, while Fines is, imo, the better player and has exceptional speed. If Noah kicks on as expected, especially with his goal kicking, then the cards might fall in Fines' favour.

I wonder if the Force might be starting to think about relocating to the East again this year?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Saw a report that Perth Wildcats were relocating to the East Coast at least for the month of February. Could be on the cards for the Force?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What a clusterfuck. Really, I'm not against lockdowns, but what is McGowan trying to do here with 1 case and zero transmissions detected?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Better safe than sorry. Do a half arsed job of transmission management and it takes a lot longer to get out of control. Outsiders can say what they like: McGowan is very popular in WA for generally making the right choices (CMO advice).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's no different to what Qld did a couple of weeks ago. Go hard early instead of letting a slow burn take root.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What a clusterfuck. Really, I'm not against lockdowns, but what is McGowan trying to do here with 1 case and zero transmissions detected?

Don't even get me started. He's got an election to win on the 13th of March, so he's shitting himself about ANY kind of outbreak.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. James Slipper
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (c)
4. Darcy Swain
5. Cadeyrn Neville
6. Rob Valetini
7. Jahrome Brown
8. Pete Samu
9. Nic White