• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So really after the last week of outrage etc in papers, on the internet etc, is it right to assume it all just the usual case of everyone getting their nickers in a twist over something that has not been decided on? Where would we be without rumours etc huh??:rolleyes::D

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well rumour makes for lot of good press stories it seems - conspiracy theorists perhaps could claim this was actual Northern Hemisphere and Broadcaster proposal that perhaps deliberately leaked to NZ (read Southern Hemisphere) press.....to shoot it down....but that would just be another baseless rumour.....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So really after the last week of outrage etc in papers, on the internet etc, is it right to assume it all just the usual case of everyone getting their nickers in a twist over something that has not been decided on? Where would we be without rumours etc huh??:rolleyes::D
Maybe, or maybe WR (World Rugby) thought they were on to a winner and only reeled it back in when it became apparent they were definitely not onto a winner?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pretty much

not home SANZAAR members as personally I could not see any of them supporting it to be frank which Castle and Tew been open and steadfast about this as well
They came out in the open and became steadfast after the latest thought balloon was shot down, yes.

And that's fine because no decision had been made. Don't forget, though, where the driving force for this World League proposal is mainly coming from.

Cui bono?

First it's SANZAAR. A broadcaster is secondary and, of course, WR (World Rugby) also want a bigger Test stage … but The Rugby Championship, and who's in it, is solely Sanzaar.

Let's not pretend that Sanzaar have had a road to Damascus conversion and are suddenly all focused on Samoa and Fiji. The history of Sanzaar, even in the last few months, belies that.

But, however arrived at, they're gonna have to be all magnanimous and "in solidarity" by throwing T2 a carrot for a World League proposal to proceed (and even then 6N could still scupper it).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lol not suggesting SANZAAR have interests of PI suddenly at the forefront but they would also perhaps learnt from the Super Rugby experience that the integrity of the competition is paramount (umm maybe not...)

I actually have more confidence in World Rugby than SANZAAR and yes they are clearly the front runners of this and that bloke called Pichot who apparently has some history in making difficult things happen....

But really does it matter - as yes hard to see this World League going ahead as can't see 6 Nations unions agreeing to promotion/ regulation....sadly....which is key for it to happen imo as everything else I can see able to be worked through...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
can't see 6 Nations unions agreeing to promotion/ regulation..sadly..which is key for it to happen imo as everything else I can see able to be worked through.
Promo/Releg to the 6N is, indeed, a non-starter.

But, as I floated about 5 pages back, there might still be a narrow window of opportunity to have promo-relegation for the Euro conference of the World League … but NOT relegate from the 6N.

The scheduling required to make that happen -- should a team like Georgia (say) get in -- wouldn't be easy to squeeze into the calendar, though.

If Sanzaar want this League happening (and they do) then those sort of avenues might be what they pin some hope on.

It's possible semifinals might have to be ditched as well if the number of games creep up, etc, etc.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Promo/Releg to the 6N is, indeed, a non-starter.

But, as I floated about 5 pages back, there might still be a narrow window of opportunity to have promo-relegation for the Euro conference of the World League … but NOT relegate from the 6N.

The scheduling required to make that happen -- should a team like Georgia (say) get in -- wouldn't be easy to squeeze into the calendar, though.

If Sanzaar want this League happening (and they do) then those sort of avenues might be what they pin some hope on.

It's possible semifinals might have to be ditched as well if the number of games creep up, etc, etc.

The can make it work by using the current June/July and November test windows. While leaving the 6N's/RC completely out of it. Two groups of 7/8. Three games played in the June/July window and 3 in November. Winner of each group progress to the final. Simple.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That's the opposite of the conversations I've had with guys in the US. They know the why they're being included but see the opportunities to grow on and off the pitch as huge positives. These are guys linked to MLR so there is a degree of bias as it would help drive growth in the league alongside it but it's not universal in the States.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think most people interested in the World League discussions should listen to the Egg Chasers podcast this week on it, by far one of the best and most balanced discussions on it (perhaps the only balanced discussion).

Most of what’s been said is very uninformed and what’s been reported is very much creating a frenzy towards the topic. WR (World Rugby) do a very good job, in fact this current administration has done more for the game outside of the traditional nations than any other.

If the league goes ahead without pro:rel I’d be venomously against it, but I don’t think WR (World Rugby) would be the ones making that choice.

There is a lot of misunderstanding of the power they actually have and the constitutional structure they have to adhere to.

Reactions: mst

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think most people interested in the World League discussions should listen to the Egg Chasers podcast this week on it, by far one of the best and most balanced discussions on it (perhaps the only balanced discussion).

Most of what’s been said is very uninformed and what’s been reported is very much creating a frenzy towards the topic. WR (World Rugby) do a very good job, in fact this current administration has done more for the game outside of the traditional nations than any other.

If the league goes ahead without pro:rel I’d be venomously against it, but I don’t think WR (World Rugby) would be the ones making that choice.

There is a lot of misunderstanding of the power they actually have and the constitutional structure they have to adhere to.

That's what caught me off guard. Generally speaking they've been making a lot of good decisions and progressed the game in many positive ways so to even in passing suggest that model was jarring.

Reactions: mst

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If the issues are not generated by WR (World Rugby) and if nor can they control it, this should be understood but should not change the outrage. It just means that is better applied elsewhere.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes I feel world rugby been doing a pretty good job and given appears just rumour they got blasted for have been infairly criticised. World rugby done a good job in my books in recent years in growing the game and improving opportunities for tier 2 nations.

Kiwikrs

Bob McCowan (2)

The Short Ball with Mils and Sumo have a great interview with one of the players Association CEOs also.

I'll have to listen to the Egg Chasers one this week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be fair most that have been the most critical of the proposal have never really come up with a decent counter proposal that is going to be one that a; the TV networks will want (let's face it, money to ring fence players is a driving force behind it) and
b; one that will give the 2nd tier a chance to make money, and be involved.
I will make it clear, while not a great fan of the idea ,I can completely understand the reasoning behind it, will watch it, and to be honest have no capability of structuring, working out finances or coming up with anything better than this anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is certainly much better.

If I was to take a cynical approach to the last couple of weeks I'd almost suggest that the NZ Herald article suggesting there would be no promotion/relegation was an intentional leak to show to those countries against relegation (supposedly Italy and Scotland) that the rugby world would absolutely not accept that.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If I was to take a cynical approach to the last couple of weeks I'd almost suggest that the NZ Herald article suggesting there would be no promotion/relegation was an intentional leak to show to those countries against relegation (supposedly Italy and Scotland) that the rugby world would absolutely not accept that.
I love a conspiracy theory even more than Matt Rowley but that's too Machiavellian, even for me.

Doesn't mean it's not true, of course. :)

Top Bottom