• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proteas vs Aus: Tests in SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The next one coming up in a week or two. The Aussies arrived today.

Protea news is that we are busy with our local T20 business end. Pardon me but I'll use the rugby franchise names, think you lot know them better.

The Stormers lost their first semi against the Sharks on friday night after Yaha & HD Ackerman laid a good fondation. Yesterday the Stormers take revenge and beat them aesily.

Bad News for the Aussies is Gibbs in great form and hitting 92 from 52 balls, Smith nor far behind with 33 from 20. Amla also was solid for the Sharks.

Good news for the Aussies, JP Duminy suddenly crash with ducks in both innings.

The third leg will be played on wednesday and the winner will meet the Cheetahs in the final.

The Protea test sqaud has been announced:
South African Castle test squad: Graeme Smith (Nashua Cape Cobras, capt), Hashim Amla (Nashua Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Chevrolet Warriors), AB de Villiers (Nashua Titans), JP Duminy (Nashua Cape Cobras), Paul Harris (Nashua Titans), Jacques Kallis (Chevrolet Warriors), Neil McKenzie (bizhub Highveld Lions), Morne Morkel (Nashua Titans), Makhaya Ntini (Chevrolet Warriors), Dale Steyn (Nashua Titans), Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Peter Siddle needs to step up and do a Stuart Clark if we are to have any chance.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I feel Siddle can only bowl and off cutter, and not a leg cutter as well like Clark can. But he certainly needs to keep each spell very tight and homing in around off stump.

Ideally Johnson will also bowl more accurately and build the pressure on the South African batsmen.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Still thinking you lot are in desperate need of a slow wrist spinner like Warney. Thats the one that was the differense between Aus & SA in the past. SA have a lot of quicks in all the provinces but lately I see some spinner coming through now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tip to the wise men of TYS.

Please open us a Cricket folder. Look like we have a lot of interest in cricket in this place. :nta:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Still thinking you lot are in desperate need of a slow wrist spinner like Warney. Thats the one that was the differense between Aus & SA in the past. SA have a lot of quicks in all the provinces but lately I see some spinner coming through now.

yeah and I think we are in desperate need of a top order batsman like Don Bradman as well as desperately needing a fast bowler like DK Lillee and an all rounder like Keith Miller.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scotty said:
Ideally Johnson will also bowl more accurately and build the pressure on the South African batsmen.

Ideally, pigs will fly over my back yard and crap golden nuggets.

Siddle is a good bowler - if he's got the backing of his captain. Keeps it straight and tidy unless the captain is giving him fuck all to work with. But enough about 2008...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
PB - What sort of pitches can we expect in SA? I am expecting seaming / green tops like last time (and I think that would suit the SA attack).

We are going to need all of our bowlers to step up in order to be be competitive in this series, it certainly won't be like last time when Stuart Clark almost won the series by himself. The incusion of hughes and the apparent return of form for Hussey should improve our batting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Would be a bit stupid to prepare that green mambas of the past. The test will be played on Kingsmead, Newlands & Wanderers. Kingsmead. SA picthes usually give a far bit of bounce like the Wacca but saw last time we had a series here, Smith & Athur moaning because the tests never go for 5 days. So expect them to be fair with a little bit of bounce helping the bowlers in day 1. Newlands a bit slower then the others and the Wanderers these days also a batsman paradise. You wont get the cracking or dust type which is a nightmare on day 5.

Glad they pick Kingsmead & Newlands because this time of year it dont rain that much. Inland would have been a problem weatherwise because its their rain season.

Saw Ponting on our local news last night and sound full of confidense, maybe that inch to much. :nta:

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So Nick, I assume that you are banking on Johnson claiming the least amount of wickets of any of the Aussie bowlers, considering he is so bad and all?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
PaarlBok said:
Saw Ponting on our local news last night and sound full of confidense, maybe that inch to much. :nta:

Were you expecting Ponting to think we had no chance on arrival? :fishing

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
mark_s said:
PaarlBok said:

Were you expecting Ponting to think we had no chance on arrival? :fishing
Ja if I look at your lot thinking. :lmao: No, only joking. I am still not that confident for the Proteas, they have disappoint myself to many times in the past. The fact is Aus is still nr1 on paper, meaning we still have to beat them here. Cricket is a strange game, just when you think yur good it have the tendency to brings you back to mother earth big time.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Actually I do think SA should be favourites for this series, home ground advantage is significant in test cricket. In years gone past I would of been very optimistic about our chances if we had just beaten a team away from home and were playing them straight away again at home.

The smokey here is that the Aus team has changed substantially from the team that lost the first two tests in Aus (Kreja, Lee, Symonds, Hayden are all gone, and Hauritz probably too). Effectively 1/3 of the team has been replaced and that could be the difference for Aus. Conversely, the new players may wilt under the pressure of playing in the republic while very inexperienced. It will be interesting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sure it will be. Watching the advertising exct, the cricket spirit is strong here for this time of year. Today we have the final games of our semis in T20 cricket. Stormers vs Sharks in Durbs & Spears vs Cheetahs in PE. The final will be over the weekend. Weatherwise not looking good for yur lot in Potch. RugbyGal's hometown so she can fill us in. Told us she may even go and watch them. I'll bring her over to update us on the Aussie vibe that strucked Potch.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scotty said:
So Nick, I assume that you are banking on Johnson claiming the least amount of wickets of any of the Aussie bowlers, considering he is so bad and all?

I'm banking on him waking up to himself and bowling like a fucking AUSSIE and not a Pom. He's the only strike option we've really got but he needs to learn consistency. Such a threat if he gets it right...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Geez we had exciting cricket last night in our semis in the T20. Both matches ended in on level score and myself had the first experiense of what they call a Super Over for the decider. Do you lot have the same in Aus for the T20s?

Eventually Langeveld bowling a superb one and Gibbs getting the Stormers through. Hope he'll figure in some of our teams against Aus. For the Sharks two names you can be sure we will hear in future. Johan Louw hitting a 6 of the last ball to draw level. He is a second Albie Morkel and this unique little cricketer Daren Smit. Something of a Warne & Gilly in one. Bowling bloody good leg breaks , open the batting and can hit it a mile. Duminy struck another undefeated 50 for the Stormers and Graeme Smit another 30+er.

The final will be on saturday and not friday on Newlands because of the Stormers vs Reds S14 match.

The SA President team to play your lot in a 3 day warmup
SA Cricket site
Cricket South Africa on Tuesday named the SA President's XI to play Australia in the tourists' three-day warm-up match at Senwes Park, Potchefstroom, from Friday.
?Because there are so many players still involved in the Standard Bank Pro20 semifinals and the fact that the prestigious final of this competition is also on Friday it was impossible to name a South African A side which is our second best team,? commented CSA CEO Gerald Majola.

?We have restricted our choice largely to players from the bizhub Highveld Lions and the Nashua Titans,? commented selection convener Mike Procter. ?There is some very exciting young talent in this team and I am confident they will give a very good account of themselves.?

Alviro Petersen will captain the side which includes other players with senior international experience in Gulam Bodi and Vaughn van Jaarsveld.

SA President's XI: Alviro Petersen (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Craig Alexander (bizhub Highveld Lions), Gulam Bodi (Nashua Titans), Imraan Khan (Nashua Dolphins), Heino Kuhn (Nashua Titans), Ethy Mbhalati (Nashua Titans), Blake Snijman (Nashua Titans), Imran Tahir (Nashua Titans), Roelof van der Merwe (Nashua Titans), Vaughn van Jaarsveld (bizhub Highveld Lions), David Wiese (Nashua Titans).

R

RugbyGal

PaarlBok said:
Sure it will be. Watching the advertising exct, the cricket spirit is strong here for this time of year. Today we have the final games of our semis in T20 cricket. Stormers vs Sharks in Durbs & Spears vs Cheetahs in PE. The final will be over the weekend. Weatherwise not looking good for yur lot in Potch. RugbyGal's hometown so she can fill us in. Told us she may even go and watch them. I'll bring her over to update us on the Aussie vibe that strucked Potch.

I will either go tomorrow afternoon or Saturday during the day. I always go and watch when an international side is plaing here. I saw their bus standing at the hotel where they always stay.(Apparantly they love our little town) They had an open netsession this morning but darn work is keeping me to busy to go and have a look. Weatherwise - its freaking hot - but huge thunderstorms in the afternoons. A storm building up now as I am typing here.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
RugbyGal said:
(Apparantly they love our little town) They had an open netsession this morning but darn work is keeping me to busy to go and have a look. Weatherwise - its freaking hot - but huge thunderstorms in the afternoons. A storm building up now as I am typing here.
Ja think they stay their during the WC also. Maybe they can invite the Morkel brothers to help them in the nets. They from Potch?

R

RugbyGal

PaarlBok said:
RugbyGal said:
(Apparantly they love our little town) They had an open netsession this morning but darn work is keeping me to busy to go and have a look. Weatherwise - its freaking hot - but huge thunderstorms in the afternoons. A storm building up now as I am typing here.
Ja think they stay their during the WC also. Maybe they can invite the Morkel brothers to help them in the nets. They from Potch?

Nope Vereeniging. BOut 100 km's from us.

We get alot of sportsteams here. The altitude without the dirty air.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Things dont look to good for the Aussies in Potch
SA team 287/4 and Khan getting a ton
Bowling
Bowling O M R W Econ
DE Bollinger 11 1 55 0 5.00 (2nb)
BW Hilfenhaus 12 2 43 1 3.58
PM Siddle 11 2 35 1 3.18 (1nb)
MG Johnson 13 0 56 0 4.30
BE McGain 10 0 71 1 7.10
AB McDonald 6 2 18 1 3.00