• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proteas vs Aus: Tests in SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting that the test players are getting a game of domestic cricket in while they can. Wouldn't happen in Aus between tests.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Khan doesn't have much of an average in first class cricket. About the same as McKenzies test average.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
To be honest, dunno know him that well, but he is on form at the moment (scored a 145 against the Cobras). Meanwhile Prince got 254 but then the Titans opener Kuhn (opener also knock a 203 ) in a drawn match.

Other news is that the quota monster once again may mean we can loose a top openener to the Poms like KP. Blake Snymans a talented opener for the Titans( scored three tons this season with a 50 average) had to be left out of the team because they need to field 4 players of colour per team.

I know the numbers quite well because at my kids level of U11 they have to field 50% on provincial level. After watching them playing at provincial area level I am dead sure their schools A team will beat all this area teams without a doubt because of this.

Thats just the way it is. :angryfire:

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's safari so good for big-name hunter Johnson
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font March 17, 2009

Advertisement
GLENN McGRATH, Richard Hadlee, Curtly Ambrose, Malcolm Marshall - Mitchell Johnson has taken more wickets in his first 20 Tests than any of them. He's bowling ambitiously, viciously.

His status as the most electrifying fast bowler in the world is beyond dispute. His standing in the big picture is becoming more clear. He's trumped his opposite number, South African Dale Steyn, in every department during the first two Tests, light years ahead in the wickets column and the fear factor generated. Entering the third Test, starting at Newlands on Thursday, South Africa have Graeme Smith's broken finger and Jacques Kallis's facial stitches as reminders of Johnson's ferocious capabilities.

Twenty Tests are enough to draw comparisons. Johnson has 90 wickets. McGrath had 80. Hadlee a mere 76. Marshall, whom veteran scribes believe to be the greatest speedster of them all when firing, had 70. Ambrose, whom veteran batsmen claim to be the finest of the lot when in the mood, which wasn't every day, had 80. Among the few to have claimed more wickets than Johnson in their first 20 Tests include his mentor, Dennis Lillee (91), blood-on-a-pitch aficionado Jeff Thomson (94) and South Africa's Allan Donald (95).

The Proteas' Ashwell Prince has made it clear he doesn't want to open at Newlands. He will be forced to do so, joined at the top of the order by Test rookie Imraan Khan. Johnson is salivating. Fresh meat.

Will Swanton

Will be an interesting third test to see how SA respond to being two nil down at home. Also reports here of tension between the SA team and adminstators (quoting Smith as the source).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The comparison would probably be more effective if it included number of overs bowled, or average and strike rate. But there is no doubt that Johnson is only getting better.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:
The comparison would probably be more effective if it included number of overs bowled, or average and strike rate. But there is no doubt that Johnson is only getting better.

fair call. I'll look at Marshall, one of my fave bowlers:

20 Tests
657.1 overs
70 wickets
Ave 27.1
ER 2.87
Super Rugby 56.3
5/I 1
10/M 0

Compared to Mitch

20 Tests
848 (just under) overs
90 wickets
Ave 27.61
ER 2.93
Super Rugby 56.5
5/I 2
10/M 1

Pretty close ave, Super Rugby and er. Lets hope he's still being compared to DK, Paddles, Marshall and Curtley come the end of his career

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Wow, their strike rates are almost identical.

NTA must think there is some sort of conspiracy.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Newlands usually provide a slowish wicket. Day one it will give a bit to the quickies but it remind me the most Adelaide type of SA wicket.

Mark: There is always a buff between Smith and the administrators, we are use to it. Newlands is the homeground of Smith, Kallis (he learned his cricket just over the road), Prince & JP Duminy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scotty said:

Yes. Completely forgetting that Steyn buttfucked our batsman while he was out here, while Notch had one good spell in Perth. Bravo Notch. Two Tests doth not a summer make.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
NTA said:
Scotty said:

Yes. Completely forgetting that Steyn buttfucked our batsman while he was out here, while Notch had one good spell in Perth. Bravo Notch. Two Tests doth not a summer make.

Your a tough marker NTA. The two test matches won by SA this did indeed make an Aus summer this season.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Scotty said:

fair call. I'll look at Marshall, one of my fave bowlers:

20 Tests
657.1 overs
70 wickets
Ave 27.1
ER 2.87
Super Rugby 56.3
5/I 1
10/M 0

Compared to Mitch

20 Tests
848 (just under) overs
90 wickets
Ave 27.61
ER 2.93
Super Rugby 56.5
5/I 2
10/M 1

Pretty close ave, Super Rugby and er. Lets hope he's still being compared to DK, Paddles, Marshall and Curtley come the end of his career
Marshall debuted in December 1978.. 8 ball overs didn't start till 12 months later so it's hard to compare their figures... especially Economy Rate (Runs per Over) Marshall's is much better, in an era when batsmen attacked less...

Mal
6257 Balls
1897 Runs
RP 6 balls 1.81

Mitch
2485 Runs
5088 Balls
RP 6 balls 2.93

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like a nice sunny day to start with. Had just a little bit of rain two days back but not really to speak about. Hope SA win the toss and bat first for a change. Put up a huge score. We just have to fight back some respect in this one. Sound like Marcus North have a bit of Suzies medicine and may sit out this one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Sound like Marcus North have a bit of Suzies medicine and may sit out this one.

What's Suzie's daughter's name? :)
last time it was Biffo if I remember correct. :lmao:

Pointing win the toss now for the 100th time in a row and Aus batting.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Sound like Marcus North have a bit of Suzies medicine and may sit out this one.

What's Suzie's daughter's name? :)
last time it was Biffo if I remember correct. :lmao:

Pointing win the toss now for the 100th time in a row and Aus batting.

Oi, watch it! I have been an avid ridiculer of the Suzie theory for the last 14 years.

PB, can you please give us a little local knowledge on what the ball is doing and how that may change over the five days?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No probs. Think today it will do something for the quickies (they have to give it enough moister because we had a lot of hot weather for the last two weeks) but will play easier from day 2. Newlands a much slower wicket then the others , so may give something in day 4 & 5 to the spinners. Already saw Harris taking the Hughes wicket. Day 2 & 3 will be a batsmans paradise.

After dropping a catch, refer the wrong one, leaving the right one I think our lot will be happy to see the back of Hughes & Pointing in the first session. The hard craft lay ahead now for batsman and bowlers in the next two session and the best part for the batsman will be session 3.

You wont get this tide theory you had in Durban, think its due to the much colder water from the Atlantic Ocean.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks. Please keep us updated with any changes to your predictions as events unfold and we see what the various bowlers get (and don't get) from the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.