• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proud of My Rugby Club Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We have a "Proud Parent's Thread".

I thought it was time to start a thread up to celebrate what makes us proud of the Grass Roots of rugby - Our Clubs.

Tell us something about your footy club.

Who are/were Notable Players and Personalities?

What is the club nickname and what are the origins of that name?

Who founded the club and when?

What is the club song and war chant?

What is the best thing about the club?

What is the point of difference about your club?

Where do you get your pies from for the Canteen (question for Gristlechewer benefit).

What colours do you play in and do the colours have any special meaning?

What do you like about the club and its people?

Who are the traditional foe & is there any special reason why are they the traditional foe?

Tell us some trivia about the club?

Be proud of your club and the contribution it makes to the broad canvas that is the Game they play in Heaven.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Too many questions, Hugh. But I am an Eastwood supporter and former player. I grew up in Eastwood (in fact I was born there, in a little private hospital just up from the main street - it has gone now). Eastwood was admitted to the club competition in 1947, I can still remember as a little kid being captivated by the sound of cheering from the old Eastwood Oval. As soon as I was old enough, I started going to the games. I think my first visit was 1952.

I started playing under 16s - which was the youngest age group team - in 1957, then under 18s, under 21s, then grade. My first season in grade was the last year that Eastwood played at the old oval, before moving to TG Millner.

After a couple or three pretty good years at the beginning of their time in club rugby, Eastwood fell on really bad times. With the exception of 1966, when they had an influx of great young players from a Sydney Teachers College (the best was John Ballesty), and they made the grand final, it was many years before they won their first first grade premiership (1999).

My all time Eastwood XV would be (a couple of players picked out of position, but I am confident they could play well where chosen):

1. Benn Robinson
2. Dick Taylor
3. Ben Alexander
4. Stuart Gregory
5. Ross Latham
6. Daniel Manu
7. Scott Fava
8. Steve Tuynman
9. Travis Hall
10. John Ballesty
11. Scott Staniforth
12. Brett Papworth
13. Lachlan Turner
14. Matt Burke
15. Marty Roebuck

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Knocking up a piece for this thread HJ. Just want to gather a bit more info on the club.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eastwood. John Gordon BAIN: Eastwood’s first Wallaby, who travelled to South Africa with the 1953 Wallabies as the second hooker, died last week. A really good rugby man and a great servant of the game.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
My all time Eastwood XV would be (a couple of players picked out of position, but I am confident they could play well where chosen):

1. Benn Robinson
2. Dick Taylor
3. Ben Alexander
4. Stuart Gregory
5. Ross Latham
6. Daniel Manu
7. Scott Fava
8. Steve Tuynman
9. Travis Hall
10. John Ballesty
11. Scott Staniforth
12. Brett Papworth
13. Lachlan Turner
14. Matt Burke
15. Marty Roebuck

Surely Matt Burke and Lachie Turner should be swapped around. Also, haven't heard much of John Ballesty before how many Wallaby games (roughly) did he play? Would have thought Scott Johnson (Scotland coach not sure of spelling of last name) would have been in the frame there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's not get into a debate about the best players from a particular club.

Can we keep this thread about the CLUB itself. Memories, trivia, history, records, personalities etc.

There are several thousand clubs Senior, Junior, and Suburban Park level around Australia.

Each one has a story to tell that should be shared.

Is Randwick the only club that has played an International Team?
NZRT vs Randwick @ Coogee Oval in 1983 (?)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Surely Matt Burke and Lachie Turner should be swapped around. Also, haven't heard much of John Ballesty before how many Wallaby games (roughly) did he play? Would have thought Scott Johnson (Scotland coach not sure of spelling of last name) would have been in the frame there.

I almost picked Matt Parish at 13, actually.

Ballesty played 9 Tests. I would pick Tim Donnelly ahead of Scott Johnson.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Getting back to Hugh's rules. Eastwood was brought into the comp to replace Western Suburbs. My mum was a Wests supporters, she was a bit miffed when they were dumped.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
We have a "Proud Parent's Thread".

I thought it was time to start a thread up to celebrate what makes us proud of the Grass Roots of rugby - Our Clubs.

Tell us something about your footy club.

Who are/were Notable Players and Personalities?

What is the club nickname and what are the origins of that name?

Who founded the club and when?

What is the club song and war chant?

What is the best thing about the club?

What is the point of difference about your club?

Where do you get your pies from for the Canteen (question for Gristlechewer benefit).

What colours do you play in and do the colours have any special meaning?

What do you like about the club and its people?

Who are the traditional foe & is there any special reason why are they the traditional foe?

Tell us some trivia about the club?

Be proud of your club and the contribution it makes to the broad canvas that is the Game they play in Heaven.
Honestly Hugh... Can I take one at a time??? I really have trouble thinking past how bad a batsman we have at the top order ATM:(
We got our pies from The Master Pastry Cook Chris Beeby, whom many may remember from Wests Colts days of yore. THE best pie I have ever consumed. To compare to a sportsman, it would be the Don or the Kelly Slater. Rich and full. Yum. His dad Peter was the best coach I have ever played under.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Song?

"Those magnificent players from Eastwood are here
Playing their rugby and drinking their beer........."

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wrote this last year for a Comp from the podcast and i think it fits the bill so enjoy.

The Best With Pride.

The Call that can be heard every Saturday at the Morley Reserve from the Men and Women of Perth Bayswater Rugby Club or better known as “Baysie”

The Club formed in 1906 and was originally known as Perth Rugby Club. They won their first premiership in 1906 and again in 1907 and 1910 when the comp was disbanded until 1928 and then again in 1941 until 1945.

After the war Rugby in Perth was again under way with Perth Rugby club fielding 1 team after losing 10 men during the War. But by 1950 3 teams represented the Black and White.

The Club was originally based at Langley park on the Perth Foreshore but was kicked out in the mid 70’s and moved to our now home in Morley. The Club changed its name to Perth Bayswater Rugby Union Club to represent the move.

Over the years Baysie has Won 8 First Grade Premierships since the comp came back in 1945 the most resent in 2007. As well as having 8 players received the highest award in Perth Rugby the P.G.Hampshire Award as the best player in the state.

One of the standout players along the way was Rod Cann, an Outside Centre and goal Kicker. In 1969 on his way to wining both the First Grade premiership and the P.G.Hampshire Award he set a then Australian Record of 302 Points in a Season, 18 Tries 43 Conversions, 53 Penalties and 1 Drop Goal. He also Represented WA from 1964-1972 and played against 5 touring international teams including the British Lions and winning a Man Of the match award in 1968 against a The Wallabies.

Notable players today include the famous WA Murphy Boys, 4 Brothers who have all been big in the clubs history. Darren who is playing for NTT in Japan, Ash who was a WA and Aus School Boys Div 2 rep, Mike who has travelled playing rugby and the youngest and Current First Grade Captain Brent who has Toured with the Force and played in the Shute Shield.

As well as having the best Women’s team in WA who have won a record 6 straight titles and producing a Wallaroo in Stacey Kilmister.

Today the club fields 8 senior teams as well as junior teams from u6 to u16. And is a breeding ground for young talent shown just this year when we had 4 boys represent WA in the under 15 national titles.

A great club with a strong history in WA we continue today to be a club which truly is “The Best with Pride”.

Team Colours: Black with White hoops.
www.perthrugby.com.au

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Song?

Playing their rugby and drinking their beer..."
"They're good in the fast play and even the rucks,and if they don't score well they don't give a........damn"
Ah,what memories - an afternoon on the verandah at Millner drinking copious quantities of amber fluid and cheering the Woods.
The after game singalong in the old bar was also a classic event.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
OK, HJ I gotta get in here with my club
In Qld,Logan City a senior 1st club, we not in prems, but I don't give a stuff, it's my club!!
Ok we can't point at players that any of you will know, but we turned out the likes of To'omua, and even QC (Quade Cooper) played for us when he first here in Oz.
Notable players etc, none that you buggers will know ,but we all extraordinarly proud to have such players as James Sua (came back to club after a few years with S/bank, then to Manwatu in NZ, and stint in france, Rex Harrison, been at club since colts, works away, but still plays when he can,
Chris Staunton played with the club since he a nipper, bloody good player(could easily handle prems) and his mum even president of club (and his uncle is Marto, but we don't mention that), Tim Burrows another young fella that been with club since he could play!! Whole bloody lot are players of note for us!!
Nickname of club is The Saints!! We had a team come to us as and add on afew years back from St Francis college or somewhere, a couple of us looked at each other and said shit thats who we should be-----why because if you live around Brisbane you know Logan has neve had a great rep, and we had one or 2 probs with discipline in early days!! Name of the clubrooms is now The Cathedral, and the women's team are the angels.......NO don't ask!!
Club was formed as with junior teams in the 80s, and have had senior teams since 94 ( I think) I been at club since 97;)
Club song is "When the Saints come marching in" oh how I want to play Logan Rugby, when the.......
The best thing about the club......IT'S MY BLOODY CLUB!!!!
Point of difference - the number of father and sons that play or have played for such a young club, and it seriously a family orientated and community based club.
What do I like about club and it's people, they are my friends and mates!! Something I can say about a lot of them, we actually enjoy being together to have a beer, discuss rugby, etc etc, and not just at club but all year round.
traditional foes would have to be Sunnybank as they closest Prem club and have often got a number of our players who had dreams of going higher.
All in all a bloody great club, we got great new clubrooms and fields etc with great work by club, Logan city council etc. One problem with club is too many mates there that I enjoy having a beer with, which can cause the odd not feeling too flash the next day!!! (like last sat)
Probably other strength or beauty of the club is the great mix we seem to have of Aussies/Kiwis/Saffas/Islanders .....A great place to be part of.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Randwick Rugby Club Song:
To the tune of McNamara's Band

Oh! Me name is McNamara
I’m the leader of the band,
Although we’re few in number
We're the finest in the land
When Hennesey, Tennessey
Tootles the flute
The music is something grand
A credit to old Ireland
Is McNamara’s band
Dah da dah da, dah da dah da
Up the Wicks!

History here:http://randwickrugby.com.au/rdrufc/history

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My favourite club song from the Jindabyne Bushpigs:
We'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre a pack of bushpigs, bushpigs are we!
We're from the mountains, pigs who ruck and maul and ski!
We'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre a pack of bushpigs, bushpigs are we!
We'd rather grunt than talk to the enemy!
Oggie, oggie, oggie,
Oi! Oi! Oi!
Oggie,
Oi!
Oggie,
Oi!
Oggie, oggie, oggie,
Oi! Oi! Oi!
We are the mighty bushpigs and who the hell are you!
History here: http://www.bushpigs.com.au/jruc2012/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=21

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Randwick Rugby Club Song:
To the tune of McNamara's Band

Oh! Me name is McNamara
I’m the leader of the band,
Although we’re few in number
We're the finest in the land
When Hennesey, Tennessey
Tootles the flute
The music is something grand
A credit to old Ireland
Is McNamara’s band
Dah da dah da, dah da dah da
Up the Wicks!

History here:http://randwickrugby.com.au/rdrufc/history
HJ,do you know the significance of the song to Randwick?Doesn't really seem relevant unless there is some Irish connection there.Bloody good song,though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney Uni Club Song

The ‘Varsity

Grads and undergrads and fellows,
Gaudy profs in reds and yellows,
Sing with lungs as tough as bellows
To our ‘Varsity.

Some of us are mining,
Some in arts reclining,
More and more
Attack the law
And revel in its methods of refining;
Some are fools and some are clever
Faculties divide and sever,
Still we all belong forever
To our ‘Varsity.

Varied are the tastes of students,
Varied our degrees of prudence,
Very varied our amusements,
At our ‘Varsity.

We shall soon be scattered,
Friendships maybe shattered,
Some, or all
Will grope or crawl,
And get up very knocked about and battered.
Some are hung and some are married,
Some for years in gaol have tarried,
Still they are all members of the
Same old ‘Varsity.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Song?

Playing their rugby and drinking their beer..."

to the tune of'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines'.

La, La La, La La La La La La Hey !
Those magnificent players from EASTWOOD are here,
playing their RUGBY and drinking their beer.
They win in the tight play and also the ruck,
and if they don't score well they don't give a damm!
See them go for a try -
heads down in the scrum and their arses up high.
They're all frightfully good,
those Magnificent Men,
those Magnificent Men,
those Magnificent Men who shout,
Up the WOODS !
WOODS WOODS WOODS

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
to the tune of'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines'.

La, La La, La La La La La La Hey !
Those magnificent players from EASTWOOD are here,
playing their RUGBY and drinking their beer.
They win in the tight play and also the ruck,
and if they don't score well they don't give a damm!
See them go for a try -
heads down in the scrum and their arses up high.
They're all frightfully good,
those Magnificent Men,
those Magnificent Men,
those Magnificent Men who shout,
Up the WOODS !
WOODS WOODS WOODS

Sorry,I should have put the whole song in my earlier post.It was written by Geoff Harvey,who was the Channel 9 music director and secretary of the rugby club at the time.A great rugby man and could lead a good singalong!.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Palmerston Crocs club song. Kind of sung to the same tune as the road to Gundagai.

We're the team that's the best.
We're the team that beats the rest.
Cause we're the boys from Palmerston.

In the lineouts we jump higher.
Our back line is on fire.
Beneath the tropic sun.
Rain or shine, things are fine.
And we will always cross the line.
Cause we're the boys from Palmerston.

Palmerston, Palmerston
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Status