• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proud of My Rugby Club Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A bit more old fashioned trivia. Gordon were known as the Highlanders, of course, but also as the Gay Gordons (after the Scottish dance of the same name). Tartan everywhere, in other words. When I first toddled up to the old Eastwood Oval, the local derby against Gordon was the game of the year. The Highlanders were a pretty filthy team at one stage, Tim Bristow and Ken Yanz were two of the most violent players I have ever seen. And of course in those days, they touch judges had no power (other than to adjudicate the touchline and goal attempts), so it was open slather.

I was at Coogee Oval the day that Michael Cleary scored his seven tries. In the first round, Eastwood humbled the mighty Wicks at the old Eastwood Oval, in very wet conditions. The Wicks were top of the table at that time, replete as they were with Wallabies. Their Wallabies were then lost to them, they toured South Africa, so the Wicks tumbled down the ladder, and just missed the semis - because of that loss to the humble Woods (and, believe me, we were very humble in the early sixties). So they turned up to give us a real hammering, with all their Wallabies back, in the final game of the season.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Gordon's pies come from Simmone Logue - They are Gor-met

The Gordon Highlanders was a British Army infantry regiment from 1881 until 1994. The regiment recruited principally from Aberdeen and the North-East of Scotland.

The club song's second verse is not often sung - primarily when we win a Final or at Preso night.

A Gordon for Me
I’m Georgie McHugh of the Gordon RU I’m fond of a lassie and drappie or two. One day when out walking I chanced to see A bonnie wee lass wi’ a glint in her ee.
Says I to the lassie will ye walk for a while I’ll buy ye a bonnet and we’ll do it in style,My kilt is the tartan of the Gordon RU She looked at me shyly and said, Is that true?
Chorus
A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me If you’re not a Gordon you’re no use to me,The Eastwoods are braw, the Randwicks an a’ But the cocky wee Gordon’s the pride of them all.
I courted that girl on the Banks of the DeeAnd made up my mind she was fashioned for me,And soon I was thinking how nice it would be if she would consent to get married to me.
The day we were wed the grass was so green,The sun was as bright as the light in her een, Now we’ve two bonnie lassies who sit on her knee while she sings the song that she once sang to me.
Chorus
A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me If you’re not a Gordon you’re no use to me,The Eastwoods are braw, the Randwicks an a’ But the cocky wee Gordon’s the pride of them all.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Can anyone please just inform me how grass roots levels in NZ and Aus work and the law variation as well as amount of contact allowed?

Also at what age they start playing contact and what age they start wearing boots.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Can anyone please just inform me how grass roots levels in NZ and Aus work and the law variation as well as amount of contact allowed?

Also at what age they start playing contact and what age they start wearing boots.

You might be better off asking this question on the Schoolboy Rugby thread.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Love that Gordon song. I am surprised that Eastwood's name is in it, after all, we only appeared in the comp in 1949, and the song must be far older than that?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.portnews.com.au/story/2672990/thunders-cracking-billabong-launch/?cs=12

"AUSTRALIA'S newest rugby club roared to life on Friday night, with Marc Minor announced as coach of the Wauchope Thunder Rugby Club for the inaugural season in 2015."

Proud of Australia's Newest Rugby Club, The Wauchope Thunder Rugby Club.
https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpa1/v/t1.0-1/c33.0.160.160/p160x160/1560695_775870799124735_3795871115424972727_n.jpg?oh=525204f001de7719e96090d03e2dbd31&oe=54DEC8F2&__gda__=1424288780_45e45df8fcc31ab88cc178946a3a0093
Launched on 31 October 2014.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, my old club might see me helping out every now and again after they cleaned out the committee at the AGM. Going to be a lot of pain there after the ex-members started by immediately poisoning the well as far as sponsorship goes, but it means a new direction for the club and exciting times after 7 years with the same people in charge and the same old problems.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Yes,Gristle Stephen Hoiles is the guest speaker and the super rugby trophy will apparently be on display. The $100 includes drinks as well apparently. Looking forward to a great afternoon catching up with past clubmates and hearing the stories of the clubs more successful days in the 1980s.

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
Surely Matt Burke and Lachie Turner should be swapped around. Also, haven't heard much of John Ballesty before how many Wallaby games (roughly) did he play? Would have thought Scott Johnson (Scotland coach not sure of spelling of last name) would have been in the frame there.
Ballesty switched to the Roosters NRL at 22/23 years old having played 9 tests, I'm biased but he set the points record for a Springbok tour and landed a long distance kick for Australia to beat France for the first time. A young Wallbies team had beaten the 5 year undefeated All Black team only to have an incorrect penalty try given against them. His halfback for his first test was Ken Catchpole. In League he won two Player of the Year awards (Now known as the Dally M for NRL) and played in a few grand finals with guys like Athur Beetson. Whilst at Roosters he played with other ex-Wallabies Brass and Cardy. The old Wallabies pivot Phil Hawthorne joined the Roosters but Ballesty kept him in reserve grade. The roosters (and former Australian) coach Don Furner joined the Queanbeyyan Blues (later called the Canberra Raiders) Ballesty joined him as it was more than any Sydney team could offer him and he liked playing under Furner. He captained a NSW Country team(then not origin but where you played) to defeat a city side that included three immortals (Langlands, Fulton, Beetson) and included 4 players in the rugby league team of the century. the team of unknown country kids! including a kid called Michael Cronin beat the city team 19-9. Later the rule was changed to origin, or representing you place of birth.

He returned to coach Eastwood when they were demoted to second division in the early 80's (with the help of a couple of local kids called Papworth and Tuynamen) and took them back to first division where Eastwood have remained since. it's a shame both Ballesty and Papworth left Union before they could do more in their test careers. He then took over the Canterbury Bulldogs leagues where he stayed for 30 years. He still sits on the board for the group that govern TG Millner and its grounds.
Aussie D said:
Surely Matt Burke and Lachie Turner should be swapped around. Also, haven't heard much of John Ballesty before how many Wallaby games (roughly) did he play? Would have thought Scott Johnson (Scotland coach not sure of spelling of last name) would have been in the frame there.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not even remotely my Club but big ups to College Rifles (Auckland) who have been wearing an ANZAC Day jersey each year since 2014 acknowledging the actions & casualties of their members during the corresponding year of WW1:

IMG_0731.JPG

314 Club members served, of whom 54 were killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.