• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
Everything colts for the 2013 season. Plenty of fresh new talent finishing school that many clubs will no doubt be wanting to snap up.

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Any Word on where boys will play there colts at for next year?

i heard a rumour that Australian Schoolboy 15 Jonah Placid is off to GPS, not sure how true that is

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
They would have the dough for it
Since when do GPS have the 'dough' TD? GPS are by no means a rich club and have some of the highest player fees in the whole comp which are used solely to keep the club afloat. If there are other parties involved with providing incentives i'm not sure why they would be throwing money at a colt.

I would think having a reasonably respected player manager in Brett Picone coaching the Prems would be more likely the reason for players to get involved at the club, as has been the case with the 7s and ARU training squad guys who are managed by him. Im not really big on the school boys scene so don't know who Jonah Placid is but if hes an Aussie schoolboy and rising talent there is a fair chance he's been identifed by Newstar sports (Picones company).

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Mate it is well known that GPS aren't poor by any means, and if you think they are a club which is just getting by your ignorant on purpose. But when I said dough I was talking incentives jobs, fee waiving and yes cash.

I really doubt Placid will play colts in any case, and I think he will probably be one the sevens circuit more than the premier circuit but you would have to crazy to think a kid in his position would just rock up at a club because of a coach. When he could just as easily go to somewhere like university where he could benefit from better facilities and same coaching. Not to mention that if he as alright grades apply for a scholarship as well which would include college or transversely go to the bank with similar perks and money to gain. I know that in my experience it is very hard to say no thank you to a free education or cash.

Its not an attack on GPS its the nature of the game especially when such a talent is on offer.

Harry

Frank Row (1)
I've just joined the forum and looking forward to reading all the news on the Colts competition here in Qld this year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hear Wests have been getting good numbers to colts training. It would be great if they could field at least 2 teams for the entire season. You need at least 50 players before you can consider being competitive at Premier Colts level.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Jets, I actually caught up with Wests Premier Colts coach Tony Rogers at a sports lunch on Friday and he said pretty much the same thing. They have been getting some good numbers down and a number of notable and skilled players so it looks likely they will be at least competative in Prem Colts and fielding one more team. Its imperative they start well in the upcoming trial games as its very easy to lose players to other clubs (especially at colts level) if they don't believe they are on a winning team. I think to an extent thats why Wests colts numbers dropped off so much last year.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think that's also why it's hard to talk about where players are going to out of school until the season actually starts - it's not uncommon for players to try out a few clubs and until they've paid rego they aren't really "locked in".

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Wests will have a very handy prem colts side. I would suggest top5 is in their reach I also think their colts 1 will be quite handy.

Wests always manage to grab a few uni lads over trials. (And the last 2 years this has been when we have acquired our best colts)

There is also own or two colts at sylvan road I am expecting big things off this year......let's say late bloomers is an understatement but I will keep my lips sealed for now

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Does anyone know what's happening with the Gold Coast colts side? I haven't heard much at all from there.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Absolutely agree- wasn't sure whether the changes in rugby on the GC & alignment with Bond Uni etc had meant more players/teams etc. probably should've been clearer.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I believe this is correct, but I'd say he'll be playing premier grade. He wouldn't go to wests to play premier colts.

Wow this kid must be something really special, it can be hard for us club rugby types to keep involved with the GPS/AICS scene because games are played on same day.

I'd imagined the first couple of games he might play with Premier Colts before getting promoted to grades. Will be a baptism of fire if he does step right into the Premiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.