• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
@Red Heavy in your experience did most First XV school players kick on to club rugby?

From my dodgy memory the numbers vary hugely from year to year, but while some schools tend to have most of their Firsts kick on, other schools see many go to league or stop playing altogether.

What would be the retention rate from First XV to Colts?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
@Red Heavy in your experience did most First XV school players kick on to club rugby?

From my dodgy memory the numbers vary hugely from year to year, but while some schools tend to have most of their Firsts kick on, other schools see many go to league or stop playing altogether.

What would be the retention rate from First XV to Colts?

Hard to answer Cat as I have only been involved at Uni so we normally get 5-10 kids from each school each year so you don't know where the rest of the players go unless they are stars.
I would guess there is a good sized drop off though.
Which can happen - priorities change when your non rugby mates are having 18th's and coast trips every weekend, players have to start at bottom again and work their way into a team and of course all the glory of the big cheering crowds is replaced with 3 men and dog watching you play on the back field.

Also 1st XV footy is getting very professional which can suck the fun out for some and create burn out.

However I have found that once the boys start playing they find out that colts rugby can be some of the most enjoyable rugby they will ever play and the majority play out both years even if they are lower teams then they are used to.

The hard thing is getting players from colts to play grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.