• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Now that the top 4 are cemented in stone. Anyone care to list the finishing order?
My prediction:
1. Bond (most consistent winners through the season barr a couple of lapses)
2. Sunnybank (have proved their worth towards the end of the season conceding only 3 losses).
3. Brothers (need to pull out all the stops for the semi's because UQ will be pushing for the finals)
4. UQ (they have the team on paper but don't seem to make use of it on the field. Going by their performance against Brothers 2-0 they may come up short).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Didn't eat as much mud as what all the teams did down in Sydney. Caught up with a few 100 people and listened to endless rumours as to who will end up playing where in colts clubland next year....

Must be said though, the scrummaging technique in those conditions was exceptional. A few australian S15 franchise forward packs could take note.

I must ask a question....

With the impending semi finals coming up, is the configuration

week 1: 1st plays 2nd with the winner going straight into the GF
3rd plays 4th with winner playing the loser out of 1-2. Loser of this
game starts Mad Monday

week 2: Loser of 1-2 plays winner ope 3-4 with the winner of this game
into the GF also (loser onto Mad Monday festivities)

week 3: The GF

Is this how this works because if so then I will not make any predictions like HTC as that Brothers Easts match at Easts will be a beauty I think and that will tell me if Brothers are the real deal. I take your point HTC that Brothers beat UQ 2-0 but they also lost to Souths 0-2 which I can't fathom

Also if Brothers play UQ in the week 1 3rd v 4th match, where will that game be played?

At the moment and quickly looking at everything, it would seem that The Bank are in the drivers seat here

Also.... no more kneeling... I've had enough!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
All semi's and finals are Sunday fixtures at Ballymore to my limited knowledge and correct with the play off analogy.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Final round Predictions

BOND home to WESTS
Bond will be happy to take a win here. Weather will be a factor here with rain predicted, it will all come down to the piggy’s.
Bond by 15

Easts vs Brothers
Brothers will want to win this one with bonus points to claim 3rd place bragging rights over UQ, who they will play the following week in the semi’s.
Brothers by a smidgen 5

NORTHS at home to SOUTHS
Not much in it.
Souths by 10

UQ vs GPS
GPS will travel to the heavies this weekend and will possibly end up losing heavily.
UQ by plenty 30+

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
"Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York"

This season I have tried religion, dartboards, using HTC tips (plus or minus 2 points), strategised, theorised, harmonised to make sense out of this great comp...... I stopped just short of rhythmic chanting under a pyramid..... So for this last round I intend to use the Shakespearian tactics of Richard III in the hope of staying out of the cellar. Perhaps I will end up like Richard and have my bones found buried under a carpark.

The Students of the Coast battle The Dogs of Toowong:
Wet weather could be a factor and what I saw in Sydney last week, it is a great leveller of teams battling out in the mud. The Dogs should be proud of their season this year as they battle strongly each and every week. But the coast lads are gearing up for their impending semi final battles and will use this hit out in an attempt to sharpen their arsenal. Well played Doggies but
BOND by 13

The Tigers of Norman battle the Catholics of Albion:
Hey, how good does that sound.... Home ground advantage to the Normans may prove decisive but the Catholics have stabilised their playing form and are ready for their impending battle next week. I agree with HTC, this could be close and with the weather factor, perhaps very close so....
BROTHERS by 3

The Eagles of Wooloowin to host the Magpies of Chippsy....
I love Souths.., I really do so to selectively quote from The Field Of Dreams, "build it and they will come". Talent abundant in Souths juniors and it will take more than culture and all the other terms that people use in sport these days to bring the best out of these kids..... Try moderate and reviewable planning, try implementation of cohesive skills structure and an enthusiastic engagement of all stakeholders At this level of Premier Colts, it's more than just giving a kid a game of footy. This was a season of coulda, woulda shoulda and I think the disparity of the season will play on young minds...
NORTHS by 10

The Students of St Lucia battle the Light Horse of Ashgrove:
Well played GPS for turning up each week under arduous conditions and enjoy your "Monday Insanum" (latin for mad monday... I'm pulling out all stops here) Here comes UQ folks
UQ by 40

The Dragons of Bank are sitting back and hoping that everyone belts the bejesus out of each other this weekend.

Stay as dry as you can ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy the burgers and the footy. I'll just stay back and sweep this cellar out one more time

Adieu

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)

The Eagles of Wooloowin to host the Magpies of Chippsy..
I love Souths.., I really do so to selectively quote from The Field Of Dreams, "build it and they will come". Talent abundant in Souths juniors and it will take more than culture and all the other terms that people use in sport these days to bring the best out of these kids... Try moderate and reviewable planning, try implementation of cohesive skills structure and an enthusiastic engagement of all stakeholders At this level of Premier Colts, it's more than just giving a kid a game of footy. This was a season of coulda, woulda shoulda and I think the disparity of the season will play on young minds.
NORTHS by 10

Adieu

Hope it is tongue in cheek your apparent criticism of Souths Prem Colts coaching structure. I have been down to watch a fair few training sessions and almost all games - and the feeling from all all i have spoken to (prem coach and committee) is that they have the coach's in place to help bring these talented juniors through - players seem to love them. From my view it is just the implementing the skills into the game seems to be biggest problem - scatter some real quality school levers in with the extremly talented U17's and i think the future is bright.... just my opinion as i know your previous post is your opinion.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Hope it is tongue in cheek your apparent criticism of Souths Prem Colts coaching structure. I have been down to watch a fair few training sessions and almost all games - and the feeling from all all i have spoken to (prem coach and committee) is that they have the coach's in place to help bring these talented juniors through - players seem to love them. From my view it is just the implementing the skills into the game seems to be biggest problem - scatter some real quality school levers in with the extremly talented U17's and i think the future is bright.. just my opinion as i know your previous post is your opinion.

Coaches, players, support staff etc of any sporting program, not just rugby specific, are the micro phase. I'm talking about the macro. Certainly not a criticism by any stretch of the imagination. I have seen this team show absolutely nothing then all of a sudden put on a brilliant 60m try against Sunnybank out of nothing. Just pure talent. That second Brothers win I did not see coming... THAT was tongue in cheek so the micro is working fine. What brings consistency of performance (not winning as that is just an outcome) is the macro program. I have constantly read in this thread and in others of players and coaches transferring all over the place. Some going up, some getting out, some looking at greener pastures. I absolutely agree with what you are saying about attracting real quality school leavers as that is EXACTLY my point.... how do we attract them and what are you offering? To compete (off field) with the powerhouses of UQ and Bond with what they offer in terms of academic and elite minded environments, to compete against the powerhouse of Sunnybank which is rich in Polynesian culture and that Gavin Head is a quality operator, requires lateral thinking and structure on our part. What can we offer and that is where the macro planning kicks in. I only see positives with Souths as we move forward. How fast they wish to travel is purely up to Souths as those quality school leavers that yup spoke about are already looking around now..... and so are the decision makers. Cheers mate

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
BROTHERS is the ANSWER to all your questions, lads!

None of this economics talk from Phatmik, micro and macro etc. just plan wholesome rugby, with ya mates! None of this woulda be, coulda be stuff either. Just RUGBY.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
BOND home to WESTS
Bond (despite the coaching and annoying ground announcer) should be focussed. Wests have outperformed and taken giant leaps from prior years.
Bond by 12

Easts vs Brothers
Brothers face mortality with recent mental scars. Easts nothing to play for. But I'm gonna stick my neck out for an upset. If that means I don't win the Mercedes for finishing 1st in the tipping comp then so be it.
Easts by 5.

NORTHS at home to SOUTHS
The witches hats cant take a trick - unfortunately for them and entire Colts competition. Souths hot and cold all year. Hot this day.
Souths by 24.

UQ vs GPS
Perfect setup for the flat track bullies to show off:
- those intricate backline moves that work a treat at training
- how cool those try scoring celebrations can really be
- just why the schoolboy rep selectors fawned so much about them
UQ by 27

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Since we all agree that the competition is close, I think that discipline will be important in the finals. Linespeed gave some stats early on in the year and this is an update to the completion of Round 17.

The 2016 Prem Colts Naughty Boys club (Depends on rugbylink accurate record keeping and my eyes ofc)
Club Reds Yellows Total Repeat Offenders
Norths 2 11 13 1
GPS 2 10 12 3
Souths 1 11 12 4
Brothers 1 11 12 1
Bank 2 8 10 1
Wests 1 9 10 2
UQ 0 8 8 2
Bond 0 7 7 1
Easts 0 2 2 0
Last 5 games
Club Reds Yellows Total Repeat Offenders
Norths 1 4 5 0
GPS 1 6 7 1
Souths 1 2 3 1
Brothers 0 2 2 0
Bank 0 4 4 0
Wests 0 3 3 0
UQ 0 2 2 0
Bond 0 6 6 1
Easts 0 0 0 0

Just interesting reading (maybe)

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
A bit of a concern that Bond have been lax in the discipline dept of late given that they had an disciplined first round and I know the coach is very hard on the boys in that regard.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Great reading Sagey. Interesting numbers as they head into the finals. Also the last thing any of the T4 teams need is a red card this weekend. I wouldn't be too concerned with the YC numbers HTC as Bond have really stepped up the intensity of late. Clearly evident in the two games that Souths played Bond. Seriously the more we talk about these semis the more I realise that anything could happen on the day... Great comp!!

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Morning fellows, a great comp comes to an end for 5 teams this week with great strides made by clubs like Wests and Souths with some good scalps this year. Lets hope the finals series is as good and unpredictable(but with a UQ premiership). Apparently weather is forecast to be poor on the weekend.

My picks for the spinning dartboard:
Bond by 5 over Wests
Brothers by 8 over Easts
Souths by 12 over Norths
UQ by 25 over GPS

Have a great weekend guys.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
HT Bond 19 Wests 7.
Light drizzle abounds.
Scrappy game.
Wests running downhill second half.