• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Interestingly New Recruit had Horan as a deciding factor in the upcoming clash with Bond but if his effect is negated when playing on the back foot, are there any boys coming back in the forwards that can change that around to front foot and attacking set play? I know Sam does a lot of work off the rucks and can be damaging at times but with him out what is on the bench? Agreed a good team needs a good playmaker and Alex is, but Hamish is pretty good at closing down the opposition. I think this game will be a battle of the backs Horan, Hunt & Oats vs Stewart, Riley & Sargent. Is Hunt back this week, he has only played 2 games for Colts this season?

Agree about Horan, but one of the other critical factors for Brothers victory was Liam Richman's beautiful tactical kicking; without doubt field position is very important when playing UQ. In addition I do agree that the Brother's backrow just had it over the UQ backrow, which is no easy feet.

I think if Hunt is back then UQ will win (not putting a house on it, but more confident). I agree with the battles, however from the discussions to date, Bond has not made use of the outside backs that effectively which probably means that things won't change; a negative in my opinion. They don't seem to be exploiting there real advantage i.e. the outside backs. And whilst Sargeant is not the quickest winger, he is incredibility smart and positions well.

Without doubt the game of the round, that is unless GPS pip Souths by 38-37...Nahh Souths will win.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Just the highlights:
GPS v Souths - GPS cant take a trick it seems. Lucky to win the bye. I remember when they used to be top 4 every year. Showing my age. Souths ordinary at best recently. But one has to win. Souths by 15.

Sunnybank v Brothers - Brothers hitting their straps and fresh off an impressive win. But how do you stop the point scoring machines? Bank by 12. (My least confident tip but).

BOND v UQ - UQ has dropped their bundle. The Bond forwards wont let the UQ backs sniff the ball. (Or their own backs). Bond by 10.

Wests v Norths - The witches hats were done after 10 minutes last weekend. Wests forwards to carry them home by 14.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Brothers v UQ

Well one of the must win matches for the 3rd and 4th placed teams. It also gave us all an insight into how each of the teams were travelling at the half way point of the season.

The game was played at 2.30 with a blustery wind from the south west in the first half which slightly assisted UQ. In the seocnd half it died-down and was not a factor.

Brothers (finally) started the game well and controlled possession for at least the first 10 mins. UQ were up to the defensive task and met most attacks at or just beyond the gain line; one could feel that we were in for a battle. The game ebbed and flowed between the 22 m with Brothers having the greater share of the possession.

Brothers line-outs were crisp and clean and gave the ball to the halves on the front foot. Unlike the Bond game earlier in the season, they now have 5 line-out jumpers which kept the UQ boys guessing. UQ almost eventually gave up on competing and just defended the line-outs later in the game. Field position was at a premium, particularly in the first half when the wind was more prevalent and therefore there was a "glut" of line-outs as both halves tested their boots. The UQ line-out was also well structured and was used very effectively in both their tries. Brothers however, did manage to take at 1 maybe 2? line-outs off them.

The first points were scored by Brothers as the the speed of the game opened up for the outside backs and great pace of Coventry and Skelton lead to a try in the corner. More was to follow as Brothers ground their way up the field again. Within 5 minutes they were over again with the conversion successful.

It was then that UQ turned up the heat and they began their way up the park. Eventually they found themselves with a penalty and well within the 22 m of Brothers. The ensuing line-out (6 man), two pods with a gap in the middle, was thrown to the back and then quickly transferred to a running front-rower (playing 9) and immediately they picked and drove to the line over the next 2 minutes. The relatively easy conversion was missed! 12-5.

The next to score became fairly critical. Again Brothers had possession and with 6 minutes to go and some free flowing rugby they scored wide out. The half was cut short by some 6 minutes due to injury.

HT 17-5 in Brothers favour.

The second half was a more of a tug-of-war with both teams defenses meeting the attacks head-on and not too much progress was made. It wasn't until midway through the half that the first points were scored when a wayward kick from UQ let Robbie McCafferty start a 48 m run down the sparsely guarded east touch-line. I don't know what trickery he had, but be sold more dummies then a Terry White Chemist and every one of them bar one was taken. He managed to offload to the winger and Try! The conversion was successful 24-5.

UQ hit back one more time again with the same line-out move, this time 15 m out and more perfectly evolved then the first one. The smaller Brothers pack were unable to break the "structure" and a try to UQ was the result. We then had another 4 minute injury break, shortly after which the game was concluded early (7 minutes) due to time issues.

General observations: the UQ scrum was very good and took control, particularly in the second half where they had the Brothers pack taking a few steps back; no tight heads were won however. I think the Brothers props showed a lot of courage and their general play was very good.

Brothers I think won the line-out and the break-downs and this was due to the back-row and the general mobility of the forwards.

The UQ backs just didn't have the space and this was partly due to line speed of Brothers. There is no doubting their sleekness and potential, but wasn't there day. The Brothers backs defended well (particularly the 12) and did the basics well. Particularly impressed with the 15 for Brothers as his positional play, skill (hands and kicking) and work rate was great. Hopefully more of him!!

Very good win for Brothers 24-10

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Interestingly New Recruit had Horan as a deciding factor in the upcoming clash with Bond but if his effect is negated when playing on the back foot, are there any boys coming back in the forwards that can change that around to front foot and attacking set play? I know Sam does a lot of work off the rucks and can be damaging at times but with him out what is on the bench? Agreed a good team needs a good playmaker and Alex is, but Hamish is pretty good at closing down the opposition. I think this game will be a battle of the backs Horan, Hunt & Oats vs Stewart, Riley & Sargent. Is Hunt back this week, he has only played 2 games for Colts this season?

Their (UQ's) Colts 1 team last week gave the, up till then, Brothers undefeated team, a rugby lesson. They were impressive and I'm sure the UQ depth is greater in the Colts then any other club (even greater than Brothers); so I don't think there bench is going to be weak. I don't know any of the players names but some of them are up to Prem Colts standard.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking forward to some wet rugby over the weekend. Who can hang onto the ball? I did mention the game will be decided in the backs but since looking at the weekend forecast it is going to be be the battle of the forwards. Go the Piggies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Their (UQ's) Colts 1 team last week gave the, up till then, Brothers undefeated team, a rugby lesson. They were impressive and I'm sure the UQ depth is greater in the Colts then any other club (even greater than Brothers); so I don't think there bench is going to be weak. I don't know any of the players names but some of them are up to Prem Colts standard.
Sage. Agreed Uni played well in colts 1 and Brothers were poor. But Uni still have a battle to make the 4. Was told colts 1 were missing quite a few regulars.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
EDITED
So we have another mixed bag this week with 1 x tipping Norths vs Wests, 4 x tipping UQ over Bond and 3 x Brothers to beat the Bank. Good Luck! and who knows what may happen with the wet conditions this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^^^
It's what makes the world go round. Raining up there yet?? I'm near Byron only modest drizzle here. Maybe we will have to wait until tomorrow arvo? It will be a field position (kicking) and piggy's day out if the expected rain occurs. Maybe the most mobile annoying packs will prevail.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saturday's whether is meant to be pretty hard core. Some games may not even proceed.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Morning all, provided the games go ahead for Saturday and taking the weather into account:
Souths by 10
Sunnybank by 12
UQ by 6(reason is being shelved)
Wests by 18

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Weather reports for Ashgrove have rain 20-80mm on Saturday. Does anyone know if the games for this round are still going ahead???

Status
Not open for further replies.