• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
B&G

With a new headmaster & "Mr Recruitment" Tom Barket on board -I have heard from a number of people that the GT will be stepping up the search for "new boys" wit talent..
Is that what you are hearing?

I expect 'sport' will have a much bigger focus at GT over the next few years and the school will be looking for talented boys across a number of disciplines to bolster the allround performance.

I believe that this increased activity will occur in or around grade 7 or 8 rather than 11 and 12, but that policy will take a while to filter through so additions like the two boys in Grade 11 this year from Cav Road might be made to cover the gap.

For reasons stated earlier (policy on fees and no boarding) GT will need to be smart and take 'punts' on younger kids to compete with the super powers.

B&G

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I expect 'sport' will have a much bigger focus at GT over the next few years and the school will be looking for talented boys across a number of disciplines to bolster the allround performance.

B&G

Just look at the Grade 8 cricket team this year. GT are definitely doing something for the future.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)

I believe that this increased activity will occur in or around grade 7 or 8 rather than 11 and 12, but that policy will take a while to filter through so additions like the two boys in Grade 11 this year from Cav Road might be made to cover the gap.

For reasons stated earlier (policy on fees and no boarding) GT will need to be smart and take 'punts' on younger kids to compete with the super powers.

B&G

Well said B&G.
I see GT had a tough time at swimming this year-when they used to be right up there.
TSS romped home -but a bit like rugby-look at the open relay teams(2) of TSS in the program. Out of 10 boys 8 were 18.!
Same strategy-different sport.good luck.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Just look at the Grade 8 cricket team this year. GT are definitely doing something for the future.
Hound, Yesterday at 5:27 PM Report

Yep, I know GT recruited two Year 6/7 cricketers from Ashgrove at the end of 2014, apparently due to some "academy" style cricket program being run by Scott Prestwidge.
Not sure if there were scholarships involved (both families are comfortable financially), I think it was more a case of these boys being cricket fanatics who were attracted by the scale and intensity of the GT program.
Whether GT is doing something similar with rugby I can't say.....

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Mate they are doing it better than Churchie. :p

NC, BBC, BSHS, GT have all started the recruitment race with U13 players for the 2019 Premiership. Whether this proves to be a master stoke time will tell. What they have got are the boys who have matured early. But that does not necessarily mean they have the technical skills to back it up.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
News from BGS, former Panasonic Wild Knights and Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney has been appointed Director of Rugby. BGS haven't had a dedicated DoR since 2012. Mooney should be able to get the BGS rugby program back on its feet from the younger levels, should be providing coaching to all age groups. Comes from Japan and locally with some great success, and knows the culture of BGS being an Old Boy. A step in the right direction for BGS rugby. @TheKing

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Very interesting news @samoanno8.

I think it's worth noting that Damon Emtage was the Reds backline/attack coach under Mooney, and I understand Ron Cochrane and Mooney have been best mates since forever.

Given that Todd Dammers and Emtage are co-coaching GPS prem grade this season, I wonder what direction the rugby program will take in the coming years - read: Mooney's attitude to recruitment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
News from BGS, former Panasonic Wild Knights and Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney has been appointed Director of Rugby. BGS haven't had a dedicated DoR since 2012. Mooney should be able to get the BGS rugby program back on its feet from the younger levels, should be providing coaching to all age groups. Comes from Japan and locally with some great success, and knows the culture of BGS being an Old Boy. A step in the right direction for BGS rugby. @TheKing
BGS have picked up a couple of talented boys that are currently in the U15 Queensland team. So it looks like they are making a concerted effort for 2016/17.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Early season predictions continue - the next 3 teams:

4. IGS
The Ippy boys showed promise from time to time last year, but as soon as the Mother Energy Drink sampling chicks showed up at home games attention spans reduced, balls were spilt and tackles were missed. Someone needs to get them to show up after the game, not at the 50 minute mark. I'm led to believe some of the more promising backs and a couple of the loose forwards from last year are back. They'll get some real advantage from home games too, as most supporters from other schools are out of there straight after the 13C game, leaving Ippy with the most supporters for the Firsts. Usually a total of 65 kids. It's also a total bludger of a place to find and there's a always a few players from opposing teams who end up at an abandoned coal mine out the back of Brassall and miss the game.

5. BSHS
The lads from South Brisvegas might just show a few teams up this year. Some of the super quick backs return this season and they played some very clever footy last year. They are already in full training at Musgrave Park and play a full contact match against some of the parks permanent inhabitants every Wednesday afternoon. Plenty of flick passes and a couple of flick knives thrown in. No wonder these boys can step. They have also got the team Combi fixed up for the start of the season, so I don't foresee any forfeits this year at away games. They have their shiz in a pile - watch out for High!

6.ACGS
Penthouse to the poo-shouse this year for Churchie. They loaded up larger than a Churchie mum at a fundraiser last year and there has been a lot of talent depart at the end of the '14 season. This might be the recession they had to have this season, but you know what they say about a recession - the demand for alcohol and chocolate always goes up. Look forward to some G&T fueled mums on game day and the smart arse comments from the erudite Chruchie dads, with sweaters tied around thier shoulders, emanating from the sidelines again...I love my day at Churchie in Rugby season!.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)

Mr WW
You are really impressing me as someone who knows their stuff.

1."Usually a total of 65 kids. It's also a total bludger of a place to find and there's a always a few players from opposing teams who end up at an abandoned coal mine out the back of Brassall and miss the game."

Totally correct -with only one under 16 team and very few C teams IGS is a small away match.Also if you put "Brassall" in your GPS " you end up on the Toowooma route;

2 "Look forward to some G&T fueled mums on game day and the smart arse comments from the erudite Chruchie dads, with sweaters tied around thier shoulders, emanating from the sidelines again"

Again correct. More Range Rogers than Buckingham Palace and a "divine " right to win-politely saying that all boys in 1st xv last year started in grade 8-tut tut

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Is that so?
Names? Only heard of one new boy at BGS this year.
Ollie Sheperd and Thomas Gilbert. Ollie might have been at BGS last year, but is turning into a nice sized lock/loosie with a good skillset. Thomas is a centre with a rep league background who's come from, coming from St Pats, although not sure on my intel on that one.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)

4. IGS
The Ippy boys showed promise from time to time last year, but as soon as the Mother Energy Drink sampling chicks showed up at home games attention spans reduced, balls were spilt and tackles were missed. Someone needs to get them to show up after the game, not at the 50 minute mark. I'm led to believe some of the more promising backs and a couple of the loose forwards from last year are back. They'll get some real advantage from home games too, as most supporters from other schools are out of there straight after the 13C game, leaving Ippy with the most supporters for the Firsts. Usually a total of 65 kids. It's also a total bludger of a place to find and there's a always a few players from opposing teams who end up at an abandoned coal mine out the back of Brassall and miss the game.

5. BSHS
The lads from South Brisvegas might just show a few teams up this year. Some of the super quick backs return this season and they played some very clever footy last year. They are already in full training at Musgrave Park and play a full contact match against some of the parks permanent inhabitants every Wednesday afternoon. Plenty of flick passes and a couple of flick knives thrown in. No wonder these boys can step. They have also got the team Combi fixed up for the start of the season, so I don't foresee any forfeits this year at away games. They have their shiz in a pile - watch out for High!

6.ACGS
Penthouse to the poo-shouse this year for Churchie. They loaded up larger than a Churchie mum at a fundraiser last year and there has been a lot of talent depart at the end of the '14 season. This might be the recession they had to have this season, but you know what they say about a recession - the demand for alcohol and chocolate always goes up. Look forward to some G&T fueled mums on game day and the smart arse comments from the erudite Chruchie dads, with sweaters tied around thier shoulders, emanating from the sidelines again.I love my day at Churchie in Rugby season!.

ww
very interesting read. when can we expect the final instalment ?

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Dear King ,Warren Wobble and other Readers
Churchie had an undefeated 15A team in 2012 and won the 1st xv premiership in 2014
BBC had an undefeated 15 A team ( by a long way ) in 2013 so many of those boys will be in mix for 1st xv this year.
But with NC and TSS having so many boys doing grade 12 over 2 years my question to you is whether the 15A comp is as important as it used to be in terms of succcess 2 years later ?

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
But with NC and TSS having so many boys doing grade 12 over 2 years my question to you is whether the 15A comp is as important as it used to be in terms of succcess 2 years later ?

Who are the boys from NC doing 3 year senior? I only know of two this year, Gavin Luca and Calvin Pritchard, doesn't seem like too many!

Not sure who this mysterious league player is for NC, that a few keep referring to, no one seems to know of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.