• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

TSS are taking on State High this weekend at Fursden Rd. At least it's not at death valley.
Both sides are basically full strength 1st XV except Simon Moraghan is still out of TSS following another headache related incident.
Both backlines bristle with absolute talent, many are in the NTS. One might expect many of the combined GPS and subsequent Qld Schools selections for backs to come from these 2 teams so there will be a massive competitive interest as they all know each others game inside out.
It is going to be a really good showdown with full bragging rights attached unless you lose then there is always a limp attached.

P

Player Coach

QLD GPS Preseason

How are the different schools preseasons going?
Havent heard much on anyone really
I hear TSS and BSHS have a huge matchup this weekend.
Might get along.
Any News?

R

rugbywhisperer

Re: QLD GPS Preseason

Player Coach said:
How are the different schools preseasons going?
Havent heard much on anyone really
I hear TSS and BSHS have a huge matchup this weekend.
Might get along.
Any News?

Read comment above.
This really going to be a great battle.
There are 4 wingers here who one could consider to be among the best if not the best schoolboy wingers in the country. Chris Sautia staked his claim last year in the 16 champs along with fellow winger Walter Petaia and Conrad Brown of TSS. On the TSS right wing there is Lindsay Crook, 6 foot 2, 87 kg and runs sub 11 sec for the 100m. Four centres who are also at the top of the tree, 2 full backs at the top. Of the 10 outside backs in this game 6 are in the Qld NTS - and the others are by no means slouches.
I know that namy of the Qld selectors will be present as well as NTS coaches - this is a big one.

R

rugbywhisperer

TSS v BSHS
A pretty ugly affair from TSS's viewpoint. Posession and territory all woth State today. Their forwards just rolled over what was supposed to be a pretty good TSS pack. A well deserved win for the State boys 32 - 12.
The backs were a diferent matter. State ran the ball well but the ball got to the wingers the two TSS opposites had their measure and defended well. When State turned tha ball inside and went through the chute they made great ground.
TSS will now know what to do and in all probability their forwards acnnot play that poorly again. The competition game in 5 weeks I am sure will be a different affair, especially as Simon Moraghan will be playing. He had a great steadying influence when he came on for a cameo in the second half.
It was as predicted a great back line battle. For State Matty Garland had a good day as did Joe at 15.
TSS wingers played and defended very well and showed if TSS spread the ball tries will be forthcoming.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
Is High the favourite this year, or too early to tell?
Hi Lee.
Based on yesterdays results it would be a brave soul to tip against State, although there were some mittigating factors. For TSS Jarod Butler came off after 10 minutes and his input alone is worth plenty and Simon Moraghan didn't start as he had suffered a head knock in Sydney.
The State forwards really dominated the TSS pack from the get go. Things changed in the second half when Simon Moraghan came on. The forwards settled and the backs jelled with him at 12. The dominance of the State three quarters ended at half time. When TSS spread the ball they looked good and the 2 TSS wingers showed their class and for mine dominated their opposites.
Although State won the first half 24 - 0, TSS won the 2nd half 12-7. Many might discount that but it was a big turnaround and the result next time should not along the same lines. Also TSS gained invaluable data on the State structure so I would expect coach Jones to make the necessary plans and provisions.
It is hard to see the TSS pack playing that badly again. A big factor will be the TSS/State game in 5 weeks will be at TSS and home ground advantage is worth 10 points plus and I cannot remember State winning at TSS for a long long time.

Objectively, I expect a very close game next time - and if TSS get posession their outside backs should do the job.

Nudgee apparently showed a bit of contempt for Churchie by subbing players from the 10 minute mark so a comparison is hard to gauge so on the result bragging rights belong to Churchie.

So on trials form it would be State then TSS, Churchie and NC.
TSS play Churchie in round 3, NC in 4 and State in round 5 so notwithstanding the final 3 games the result could be determined by the end of term break.

P

Player Coach

Well
Some definitely unexpected results there.
I have heard a lot about State this year and they have much up and coming talent. Chris Sautia for one. How did he go?
Also since I have just come back to schoolboy rugby, don't know much but you say the TSS wingers showed class? against Sautia?

Churchie look to be stronger than expected this year
It should be a cracker of a competition

R

rugbywhisperer

To answer your question Yes. Chris was well marked all game and didn't get to make a break as his opposite didn't afford him any room at all and then Chris was comprehensively stepped when his opposite scored a very good individual try in the second half.
Points for this game went to his opponent. Yes Chris is good but there are a couple of comparable, maybe better wingers around. Both Chris and his opponent are great mates from the NTS so it was a good match up and is a battle in progress.

P

Player Coach

Ah I see.
Can't wait for the round match up between those 2 schools, should be a cracker with Jarrad Butler and Morahan back.
Would you say this winger that marked up against Chris Sautia on the weekend has a chance of making any of the mid season rep sides?
I would think he would be looked at if he is in NTS

R

rugbywhisperer

Player Coach said:
Ah I see.
Can't wait for the round match up between those 2 schools, should be a cracker with Jarrad Butler and Morahan back.
Would you say this winger that marked up against Chris Sautia on the weekend has a chance of making any of the mid season rep sides?
I would think he would be looked at if he is in NTS
In a fair and just world one would hope so. The problem for the TSS boys is that the GPS teams are usually announced after the fourth round, last year it was after the third round.
This year TSS have a game v Ippy, BYE and a game against Churchie for the lads to impress. I wouldn't be holding my breath. Many believe he is one of the best attackers around - can make a try where others falter.
After watching all the main rep and rep trial games last year in Qld, I would say objectively that he 4 wingers in these 2 teams are by far the 4 premier wingers in Qld.
Two of them are blindingly fast, all are very very good and there isnt a reall 'train crash' weakness in any of them.

R

rugbywhisperer

Results pretty well as expected
The Southport School 61 Ipswich Grammar 17
Churchie 39 Brisbane Grammar 7
Gregory terrace 5 State High 32
Nudgee 14 Toowoomba Grammar 6

Nudgee apparenly struggled with no score in the second half
Great game next week Nudgee and Churchie, TSS have the bye.

P

Player Coach

Well
What a very interesting first week of games.
Nudgee looks to be struggling
TSS looks to bounce back strongly
The rest were predictable I might add but who were the stand outs of the round?

R

rugbywhisperer

From inside reports and from what I had already perceived, it should be a 2 horse race this year.
Nudgee just don't have the penetration this year, they are rebuilding. Come the final round it might be interesting between them and State but I doubt it.
One thing I feel is certain, the TSS - State trial games was an abberation - a similar result will not be occuring come June 6, particularly as it is at TSS. If those TSS backs get a hald decent amount of posession they could be devastating. I feel as a running team TSS are better, State have the heavier beef but aren't as mobile.
It will be interesting.

S

straightshooter

hi - am new to this site but boy there seems to be a lot of rubbish about some schools - is there only BSHS and TSS that have players and seems to be wingers only - know that Sautia is very highly rated and touted as a player to be watched - saw him couple of weeks ago and he was very comfortable with the TSS winger (either Brown or Crook) - only seemed at half pace - the match-up will be interesting. The TSS forwards and backs were just "not there" and the BSHS team just overpowered across the park. Some if not all the TSS boys should display some "toughness" Reckon that BSHS have them on wood for the return match.
Hear that young Matt Lucas had a blinder for GT against Churchie on weekend !!!!

R

rugbywhisperer

straightshooter said:
hi - am new to this site but boy there seems to be a lot of rubbish about some schools - is there only BSHS and TSS that have players and seems to be wingers only - know that Sautia is very highly rated and touted as a player to be watched - saw him couple of weeks ago and he was very comfortable with the TSS winger (either Brown or Crook) - only seemed at half pace - the match-up will be interesting. The TSS forwards and backs were just "not there" and the BSHS team just overpowered across the park. Some if not all the TSS boys should display some "toughness" Reckon that BSHS have them on wood for the return match.
Hear that young Matt Lucas had a blinder for GT against Churchie on weekend !!!

:fishing :fishing :fishing is that right?

I saw it a bit differently where the TSS winger didn't allow Chris any room at all, shut him down quite well and then did a beautiful step on him to run through 4 or 5 defenders to score.
Agree - the TSS forwards were terrible that day - really slipped up.
Hmm -

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
straightshooter said:
Hear that young Matt Lucas had a blinder for GT against Churchie on weekend !!!!

welcome to the sight straightshooter. Feel free to continue to add your input. It'd be great to get some more school focus.

S

straightshooter

Thanks for the welcome Noddy.
It seems a bit of a shame that more focus is not placed on other schools as much as GPS - however realise that most of the better boys seem to be attracted to GPS by scholarships however some very good boys make it through without attending GPS - case in point is young Ben Daley who went to All Saints on the Gold Coast - he has now been afforded better training/games etc and now with the Reds.
At the State trials a boy from the non GPS teams has to be pretty special to get a jersey in Qld 1 or 2 to get his "go" at the bigger rep teams.
Does anyone know who the GPS Coaches are in 2009 ?????? Do they normally have First XV coaches or underlings??????
Anyway GPS games are fantastic to watch with the atmosphere and crowds. Skillful, fast and clean !!! Bit different to Premier grade.
Churchie will give some of the more favoured teams like BSHS and Nudgee a real nudge - obviously they were able to maintain their game plan and ended up belting Terrace after trailing badly at half time.

R

rugbywhisperer

straightshooter said:
Does anyone know who the GPS Coaches are in 2009 ?????? Do they normally have First XV coaches or underlings??????

Yes

S

straightshooter

Gee thanks - do you have names ??? or is it a big big secret

R

rugbywhisperer

Oh if you must know - its Adrian Blundell - TSS for GPS 1's

Status
Not open for further replies.