• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Green and Gold

Is there anyone else in the running for the GPS Championship?

R

rugbywhisperer

TSS have a full house in the backs - looking sweeeet.
Forwards boosted by as well - giant lock, hooker and possibly an 8
All the cards are in place

S

straightshooter

Hey Whispers,
Churchie mmay be a shot in 2010 now that Jones has left or leaving your school TSS. How's the whispers on a new coach for TSS - hear on vine that NC and GT may soon be after some coaching staff :fishing :fishing :fishing

Realise TSS always put together a good side each year but may be a bit short in the engine room where ALL games are won or lost !!!!! - Heard that back 3 for TSS will probably be Lausie (16's this year - scored 4 tries in a game at recent nationals - and a big fast and tough kid who will only be bigger and tougher in 2010) Crook maybe 15 or wing (plenty of speed and can score tries at will particularly if some room made available by inside players) and another boy who may be an "import" (big, fast, tough). May be that their backs coach Ray ????? really has some talent to mould ??

What about IGS for 2010 - how did their 16s perform in 2009 ?????? Do BSHS have many boys "repeating" - they always have a good side

HoHum - 2010 probably the same as in recent past years with BSHS, TSS, NC being in the forefront with Churchie being the "smokie"

C

chief

BSHS have Sautia who is in grade 12 next year, and they have Browning. Rumours going around that the current state high coaches weren't gonna coach this year, but they were squashed, in fact they had already had 2 coaches lined up for the position. Even appointed I'm pretty sure. Expect this to be the last year for Graham Noon and David Eagle.

Nudgee certainly do sound like they have class. They also have a few gun 15 year olds certainly looking to be included.

R

rugbywhisperer

Modesty prevents me from saying too much here.
Crook stood out grandly at the Byron Bay 7's last weekend (still only 16) top try scorer and certainly didn't lookout of place amonst the bit fellas from the islands - did more than his share of tackling. Logically should move from 14 to 13 where he will be very very dangerous but 15 is the other option. Gives him greater attacking options for his speed and elusiveness. Aside from big Will Slipper at 8 he is the biggest and strongest in the ream but can also motor very nicely. Put paid to any doubts there at the Qld T&F this week.
Many don't know also that Chris Sautia at State High will be reverting to his beloved 13 next year as well.
Lausi needs to learn rugby - good finisher but that's it and unfortunately the tryline very rarely beckons with open arms and no malice between you and it. Arnold (the import State league rep and apparantly very handy.) is in doubt and no one knows what's happening. Some say they do but it's all in the air. Will fit into 12 just nicely thank you.
The forwrds are all set - the big lock needs to get fit and quickly. Back row all done and cocky little buggars they are too.

C

chief

Yeah, its definately looking that way, and also Browning to 6. Heard from a insider that Browning is likely to be captain, and in grade 11 as well. But, unconfirmed, simply a rumour.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
chief said:
BSHS have Sautia who is in grade 12 next year, and they have Browning. Rumours going around that the current state high coaches weren't gonna coach this year, but they were squashed, in fact they had already had 2 coaches lined up for the position. Even appointed I'm pretty sure. Expect this to be the last year for Graham Noon and David Eagle.

Anyone rate Dave Eagle and Graham Noon as coaches?

Eagle has been there for a very long time now - 11+ years? Apparently a long time ago Eagle used to play favourites in huge ways, but not sure if that is still the case.

Is Noon still a PE teacher there?

C

chief

I'm not sure if he still teaches there. Sorry about that. As for Eagle I hear he is premier colts coach for Easts (unsure?) From what I have heard Eagle does play favourites though.

R

rugbyfreak

chief said:
I'm not sure if he still teaches there. Sorry about that. As for Eagle I hear he is premier colts coach for Easts (unsure?) From what I have heard Eagle does play favourites though.

From the results that they have achieved lately you would have to say that they get results!

Q

queenslander

[
chief said:

Yeh he favours good rugby players by the looks of it

R

rugbyfreak

chief said:
He also favours reputations, while Noon I believe doesn't.

That sounds like a receipe for disaster doesn't it? Wouldn't do much for teamwork, from the couple of games that I watched this year I didn't see that on the field?

You wouldn't happen to be an old boy who missed out would you?

C

chief

Rugby me playing it? hahahahha. No definately not. I wish I could say I even played in the 2nd's team, I wish I could say I went to a school like that. I simply disagreed with a winger selection, and sometimes disagreed on the Fullback selection. Forward pack however was immaculate. I only however saw about 3 games, so maybe they performed in the others.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
rugbyfreak said:
That sounds like a receipe for disaster doesn't it? Wouldn't do much for teamwork, from the couple of games that I watched this year I didn't see that on the field?

You wouldn't happen to be an old boy who missed out would you?

I went to BSHS years ago. Noon was a PE teacher then, if he still isn't now. Had some respect back then too, but he wasn't the firsts coach.

Dave Eagle was the firsts coach back then though, and the students at the school used to think that he made some questionable team decisions. He played favourites based on family and reputation. One example is when I was a senior there was wondering amongst the seconds and lower XVs about why a guy (a senior) took half the season to even make the firsts bench, despite ripping teams apart. The guy in front was the younger brother of another good player in the firsts squad, and their father was active in the club scene and was friends with Eagle. Another example is Eagle played a very fast winger (in his senior year) who had no rugby experience and had only ever played soceer before. The guy was caught out a fea times as he also couldn't kick!

And no, I played lower teams and had no higher asperations (I was into another sport very heavily at the time) and had loads of fun playing in the 3rds and 4ths.

I also had a few training sessions with the 1sts (mainly as tackle bags) but from my limited knowledge Eagle did look like a good coach - although I had no clue back then

A good point of Eagle though was that he was happy to pick younger players in the 1st XV who looked like they could belong there. Another interesting point about Eagle was that in the year book he would write about nearly every player that he "needed confidence". Thought that was funny as one of the guys Eagle wrote that about one year was a very creative inside back and had confidence galore - in fact he went and played for the Reds plus a few games for the Wallabies.

S

straightshooter

rugbywhisperer said:
Modesty prevents me from saying too much here.
Crook stood out grandly at the Byron Bay 7's last weekend (still only 16) top try scorer and certainly didn't lookout of place amonst the bit fellas from the islands - did more than his share of tackling. Logically should move from 14 to 13 where he will be very very dangerous but 15 is the other option. Gives him greater attacking options for his speed and elusiveness. Aside from big Will Slipper at 8 he is the biggest and strongest in the ream but can also motor very nicely. Put paid to any doubts there at the Qld T&F this week.
Many don't know also that Chris Sautia at State High will be reverting to his beloved 13 next year as well.
Lausi needs to learn rugby - good finisher but that's it and unfortunately the tryline very rarely beckons with open arms and no malice between you and it. Arnold (the import State league rep and apparantly very handy.) is in doubt and no one knows what's happening. Some say they do but it's all in the air. Will fit into 12 just nicely thank you.
The forwrds are all set - the big lock needs to get fit and quickly. Back row all done and cocky little buggars they are too.

Hey Whispers,
Rumour is that the big imported lock at TSS has been shunted straight away into thwe famous NTS squad - supposed to not be as good as some believe but obviously has the physical attributes to hone into a rugby player. My mail (as I have not even seen the lad - and comments are second hand) is that he has some minor issues like fitness, mongrel, ability and skill - but the NTS should be able to mould him into a future Wallaby

Do u know how many schools are now training and how often etc

R

rugbywhisperer

The big fellah certainly has fitness issues but played reasonably well enough in a curtain raiser to the schoolboy test at Ballymore. Seemed to have the skills. With his size there would have to be something the NTS could work on. There are not too many around with his height.
TSS are at it, (some there havent stopped), I also hear they are trying to recruit some rugby boys into rowing to boost the ranks there.
Qld NTS squad start up next Sat with testing.

S

straightshooter

rugbywhisperer said:
The big fellah certainly has fitness issues but played reasonably well enough in a curtain raiser to the schoolboy test at Ballymore. Seemed to have the skills. With his size there would have to be something the NTS could work on. There are not too many around with his height.
TSS are at it, (some there havent stopped), I also hear they are trying to recruit some rugby boys into rowing to boost the ranks there.
Qld NTS squad start up next Sat with testing.

Not much size or strength except crook and lausie and slipper - need a motor to push slips along in one of those skinny rowboats.

What do the NTS test - height, weight skinnies, speed etc etc or is it skilled based

R

rugbywhisperer

All the things that weren't tested during the holidays plus this one is skills.
One won't be there as he will be at the GC sevens.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
chief said:
also Browning to 6.

Saw Browning in the national tournament at Knox. Looked like a hard player with a high work rate and played older than he was; skilful with it too. Looks like he will be an 8 as a senior player and will likely have the bulk for it.

PS: Anybody know where the national tournament is being held next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.