• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Another BGS player, Lakhem Aiono will be looking to make his mark at either #1 or #8 this season- coaches haven't decided yet. He is likely to fill a similar role to last year's Levi Aumua. A front-runner for a representative jersey, Aiono will be one to keep an eye on. From TSS, Dylan Paraka & Cato Perrin (16A's blindside and openside respectively) look set to make the step up to the 1st XV. They work well as a duo, and 2012 should be a big year for these boys.

There'll be some promising flyhalves going around this year, with a great deal of skill and experience. Mitch Third (TSS) is returning this year, having played #10 in the 1st XV last year with his efforts earning him a QLD White jersey. Being one of the few boys returning to the TSS 1sts this year he will have to step up, but I have no doubts he'll play at a high standard. James Dagleash from Gregory Terrace will be looking to establish himself this year, having also played in QLD White. Darcy Eason from Churchie will be backing up, and will be in contention for a QLD/GPS 1 spot.

Jack Tuttle (NC) will undoubtedly be the premier centre this year, having made QLD 1 and Australian Schools last year. With Billy Brittain departing, it will be interesting to see how Tuttle steps up and performs. Australian Rugby League representative Josh Birch (BGS) will be looking to make his mark after missing 2011 with a torn ACL. On the wings, Alex West, Monty Ioane and Dean Van Heteren Swemmer will be in contention for spots, with Ioane possibly moving to #13 so all three can be accommodated. The latter two both made GPS sides last year and should be among the best outside backs in the competition.

Other big names include TSS' Adam Gauder- QLD White winger last year, played 16A's. He has big boots to fill with Vince Cooney leaving, but I think he'll be a standout for TSS. Lewis Radford (BGS) has tremendous pace and ability under the high ball, and having already played 1st XV will be one of the standout wingers. Nudgee College's Joel Hagan is likely to make the step up to firsts level this year, and most people will know about his vast sporting talent and achievements.

Few things, Eason will be at 9 this year like he was last year. Probably utility as he can also kick quite accurately. . Number 8 contender could be Lochey Oppenheimer who has played 1st XV since 2010.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Few things, Eason will be at 9 this year like he was last year. Probably utility as he can also kick quite accurately. . Number 8 contender could be Lochey Oppenheimer who has played 1st XV since 2010.

Who will be playing #10?
Of course, I forgot Oppenheimer. My mistake, he'd be one of the premier backrowers in GPS.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who will be playing #10?
Of course, I forgot Oppenheimer. My mistake, he'd be one of the premier backrowers in GPS.

James Watson, played 10 last year for Churchie from round 3 onwards. Eason will be at 9 as the two of them have played together a fair bit and that combination is set in stone. Another to throw into the equation is Angus McClanahan who played QLD U16 last year, wether or not he gets a starting gig in the Churchie back line though is another question. I doubt Ioane will move to 13 either at this point, he offers more on the counter attack and doesn't break tackles as often as his namesake.

Totally agree regarding Oppenheimer, absolute weapon in attack and defence. Will provide the
mongrel Churchie need at the back of the scrum, he's one to watch. The backrow battle against BGS will be a great indication of where both him and Aiono are, throw in Gilbert, McMillan and Gunn and you're looking at the two best back-rows in the competition.

Other than that your analysis is probably very accurate. I remember browsing over the GPS squads last year and seeing another Shipperly on the wings at NC, is he back this year? Reports are that Hagen is out for the season so their depth could be tested out wide.

T

TheMan45

The Gregory Terrace XV will look something like this;
1. Tom Mellor
2. Luke Harlow
3. Robbie Green
4. Isaac French
5. Bill Ovenden
6. unsure but Ben Laxton has been training hard and so has Daniel Pepper, could be either of those depending on what the coach is looking for in his team.
7. Xavier Power
8. Daniel Sitanilei
9. James Gilbert (played really well in the 16a's unlucky not to get a constant starting position. was the highlight of there backline last year)
10. James Dalgleish
11. Joe Jenkins
12. Zak little (if he trains hard enough)
13. Jack heenan
14. Ben Russel
15. Tom Given
16. Toby Mcnamee (can be a replacement hooker or flanker)
17. Jack Colley
18. Either Ben Laxton or Daniel Pepper whoever doesnt make the team.
19. Morgan Gassman
20. Sam Long
21. Kris Larossa
22. unsure of a last reserve needing someone with pace. Maybe jack Mcsweeney but tends to get injured very easily.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Other than that your analysis is probably very accurate. I remember browsing over the GPS squads last year and seeing another Shipperly on the wings at NC, is he back this year? Reports are that Hagen is out for the season so their depth could be tested out wide.
Will Shipperley will be in Grade 12 this year and based on reports will be one of the better Nudgee players. What has happened to Hagan?

T

TheMan45

I posted earlier about the terrace first XV however i have changed the team around a Bit which i think will
Be better;
1. Tom Mellor
2. Luke harlow
3. Robbie green
4. Isaac French
5. Bill Ovenden
6 & 7. Ben laxton / daniel pepper/ Xavier power
8. Daniel sitanilei
9. James Gilbert
10. James dalgleish
11. Joe Jenkins
12. Zak little
13. Jack heenan
14. Elliott clarke
15. Tom given
16. Toby Mcnamee
17. Jack colley
18. Laxton/ pepper or power who ever doesn't start
19. Angus fowler
20. Sam long
21. Ben russel
22. Kris larosa

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I posted earlier about the terrace first XV however i have changed the team around a Bit which i think will
Be better;
1. Tom Mellor
2. Luke harlow
3. Robbie green
4. Isaac French
5. Bill Ovenden
6 & 7. Ben laxton / daniel pepper/ Xavier power
8. Daniel sitanilei
9. James Gilbert
10. James dalgleish
11. Joe Jenkins
12. Zak little
13. Jack heenan
14. Elliott clarke
15. Tom given
16. Toby Mcnamee
17. Jack colley
18. Laxton/ pepper or power who ever doesn't start
19. Angus fowler
20. Sam long
21. Ben russel
22. Kris larosa

Well at least you have made your mind up. I've seen a million different posts about the Terrace team and not one looks capable of winning more than 3 games.

B

bottleneck

CHURCHIE WILL GET THEIR FIRST TROPHY IN THE CABINET ON SAT AT THE ROWING WITH THE BIG ONE COMING IN THIRD TERM

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I doubt that State High will come Last that got some quality players in their team

I have them in the big group finishing somewhere between 3rd-6th. Even money bets in terms of them, Grammar, IGS and Southport.

Churchie, Nudgee, Grammar, Southport, IGS, State High, Toowoomba, GT, BBC

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I have them in the big group finishing somewhere between 3rd-6th. Even money bets in terms of them, Grammar, IGS and Southport.

Churchie, Nudgee, Grammar, Southport, IGS, State High, Toowoomba, GT, BBC

Light, I think you will find that TGS and BBC will be pushing to finish higher than 7th and 9th

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes, pushing to the point of causing an upset or two but I think the field could be covered by a blanket by round 9. Points for an against will determine the lower end of the table.

B

BGS Old Boy

Cody Blackhurst (BGS) Dimitri Loukaras (BSHS) and Alex Mafi (NC). Cody was a regular 1st XV player for BGS last year and was rewarded with a GPS 3 spot after some fantastic performances. Loukaras and Mafi both made QLD U16 squads last year and should perform strongly this season.

Daniel Anae (NC) and Nick Anderson (BGS) will, in my opinion, be the premier props in GPS, with Aaron Pleash (IGS) close behind. All played 1st XV last year and all made a big impact for their respective teams, with Anae starting for GPS 1 and Pleash making the combined 1/2 bench. Anderson was unavailable for selection last year but would have been in close contention for a QLD U16's spot at the very least. Looking forward to a big year from these boys.

Daniel Preen (IGS), Jack Cornelson (BGS) and Adam Korczyk (BSHS) are the biggest name returning locks, with Preen and Cornelson making GPS 1 & 2 respectively. Both are big boys, great ball runners and dominant in the line-out. Korczyk played QLD Red last year and with Curtis Browning finished, will be looking to fill his shoes.

With last year's masterclass of #6's and #7's (Browning, McMahon, Mitchell, Swann, Satui, Cail, Birgan, Vassiliades etc.) all departing, there aren't many experienced flankers left. Digger MacMillan, Michael Gunn ( both ACGS) and Andrew Saunders (BGS) had game time at #7 last year, performing well. All should will step up into the flanker role with ease, and should feature in teams come rep season. Henry Fitzgerald (NC) and Connor Mulheron (IGS) both made QLD U16's last year and should perform well for their schools. Michael Gilbert (BGS) is likely making the move from #5 to #6, and his experience should see development in his performance this year.

Another BGS player, Lakhem Aiono will be looking to make his mark at either #1 or #8 this season- coaches haven't decided yet. He is likely to fill a similar role to last year's Levi Aumua. A front-runner for a representative jersey, Aiono will be one to keep an eye on. From TSS, Dylan Paraka & Cato Perrin (16A's blindside and openside respectively) look set to make the step up to the 1st XV. They work well as a duo, and 2012 should be a big year for these boys.

I'm not to sure on halfbacks this year. Like flanker, it seems to be a position more-or-less dominated by year 12's in 2011. Jack Martin (BSHS), Jack Tuttle (NC) and Fergus Halliday (BGS) are likely to win the #9 position for their schools, all with representative experience. All three have tremendous potential and perform excellently.

There'll be some promising flyhalves going around this year, with a great deal of skill and experience. Mitch Third (TSS) is returning this year, having played #10 in the 1st XV last year with his efforts earning him a QLD White jersey. Being one of the few boys returning to the TSS 1sts this year he will have to step up, but I have no doubts he'll play at a high standard. James Dagleash from Gregory Terrace will be looking to establish himself this year, having also played in QLD White. Darcy Eason from Churchie will be backing up, and will be in contention for a QLD/GPS 1 spot.

Jack Tuttle (NC) will undoubtedly be the premier centre this year, having made QLD 1 and Australian Schools last year. With Billy Brittain departing, it will be interesting to see how Tuttle steps up and performs. Australian Rugby League representative Josh Birch (BGS) will be looking to make his mark after missing 2011 with a torn ACL. On the wings, Alex West, Monty Ioane and Dean Van Heteren Swemmer will be in contention for spots, with Ioane possibly moving to #13 so all three can be accommodated. The latter two both made GPS sides last year and should be among the best outside backs in the competition.

Other big names include TSS' Adam Gauder- QLD White winger last year, played 16A's. He has big boots to fill with Vince Cooney leaving, but I think he'll be a standout for TSS. Lewis Radford (BGS) has tremendous pace and ability under the high ball, and having already played 1st XV will be one of the standout wingers. Nudgee College's Joel Hagan is likely to make the step up to firsts level this year, and most people will know about his vast sporting talent and achievements.

Top fullbacks this year will be Tom Given (GT) and Logan Tibbets (BSHS). Both returning players, they have plenty of natural ability and experience making them ideal for the custodian role. Given in particular was one of the few shining lights for an otherwise dismal Terrace 2011, and hopefully continues his fine form in 2012.
Vince Cooney is still at TSS doing Year 12 for the first time unlike some of the players mentioned in your post.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
My predictions for this years premiership. They may be a little different to convention but I'll do my best to back up what I have to say.
1. Churchie-A very strong age group, big names and ample amounts of players having game time in the firsts makes of a very experienced, strong Churchie side. Centenary Year AKA Recruit City
Wins-Undefeated, with crucial premiership winning game against Nudgee, Losses-None
2. Nudgee- Some big losses from last year, but retaining other big names like Jack Tuttle. Expect to see them win by large margins and if anything, lose by small margins.
Wins- Everyone except Churchie Losses-Churchie
3. TSS-Strong "Big 4" side but due to a lack of star players can't finish higher than 4th
Wins-TGS,BGS,GT,BBC, BSHS Losses: Bogey Loss against IGS as well as Churchie/Nudgee
4. BSHS-Loss of Very big names, but once against a "big 4" side with enough quality to maintain the top 4
Wins-BBC, GT, IGS, BGS, TGS Losses-Churchie, TSS, Nudgee
5.BBC-At this point you are probably wondering why I would put a team finishing 7th (8th?) at 5 for this year. BBC have done some heavy recruiting-A brand new back line with atleast 1 forward (from BSHS) will be making an appearance this year. It looks like BBC have gone all or nothing to have a crack before the scholarship rules are in place
Wins-IGS, BGS, TGS-Possibly GT Losses: Churchie, Nudgee, TSS, BSHS, possible GT
6.GT-A strong age group looking to bounce back from a woeful season. Bolstered by 2 new boys (Danny Sitelia and Robbie Green), the strength will be there with several boys backing up from first XV last year including notable Dalgleish, Mellor, Given and Heenan.
Wins: IGS, BGS and TGS, Possibly BBC Losses: All others
7. IGS-Dark Horse Team, and when I say Dark I mean Jet black. Could do anything but I expect them to finish around 7.
Wins: TSS. BGS and TGS Losses: All others
8. BGS-A side plagued by injuries will eventually cause Grammar to faulter, especially towards the back half of the season. A bad year group, traditionally finishing last in the comp.
Wins: Possibly TGS Losses: All others
9. TGS-Not going anywhere fast
Wins: Downlands yay! Losses All others

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
RedBlack,

The great thing about this year is that you could be totally right and nothing any of us could say can prove your justifications wrong. I question the middle of the table though :)

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Light,
I think 4,5,6,7 will be interchangable with IGS possibly even finishing at 4. I think you are right in saying anything could happen

T

The Boys

Light,
I think 4,5,6,7 will be interchangable with IGS possibly even finishing at 4. I think you are right in saying anything could happen
mate that is the most bias piece of work in favour of terrace, with grammar on the bad end, grammar have retained just as many people as terrace have with bigger names, more representative honours,bigger players and experience, also with no recognition of the recruiting grammar has done also? i would rate terrace fighting for the wooden spoon, with grammar fighting for a podium finish, i would have a serious rethink about your observations

B

bottleneck

My predictions for this years premiership. They may be a little different to convention but I'll do my best to back up what I have to say.
1. Churchie-A very strong age group, big names and ample amounts of players having game time in the firsts makes of a very experienced, strong Churchie side. Centenary Year AKA Recruit City
Wins-Undefeated, with crucial premiership winning game against Nudgee, Losses-None
2. Nudgee- Some big losses from last year, but retaining other big names like Jack Tuttle. Expect to see them win by large margins and if anything, lose by small margins.
Wins- Everyone except Churchie Losses-Churchie
3. TSS-Strong "Big 4" side but due to a lack of star players can't finish higher than 4th
Wins-TGS,BGS,GT,BBC, BSHS Losses: Bogey Loss against IGS as well as Churchie/Nudgee
4. BSHS-Loss of Very big names, but once against a "big 4" side with enough quality to maintain the top 4
Wins-BBC, GT, IGS, BGS, TGS Losses-Churchie, TSS, Nudgee
5.BBC-At this point you are probably wondering why I would put a team finishing 7th (8th?) at 5 for this year. BBC have done some heavy recruiting-A brand new back line with atleast 1 forward (from BSHS) will be making an appearance this year. It looks like BBC have gone all or nothing to have a crack before the scholarship rules are in place
Wins-IGS, BGS, TGS-Possibly GT Losses: Churchie, Nudgee, TSS, BSHS, possible GT
6.GT-A strong age group looking to bounce back from a woeful season. Bolstered by 2 new boys (Danny Sitelia and Robbie Green), the strength will be there with several boys backing up from first XV last year including notable Dalgleish, Mellor, Given and Heenan.
Wins: IGS, BGS and TGS, Possibly BBC Losses: All others
7. IGS-Dark Horse Team, and when I say Dark I mean Jet black. Could do anything but I expect them to finish around 7.
Wins: TSS. BGS and TGS Losses: All others
8. BGS-A side plagued by injuries will eventually cause Grammar to faulter, especially towards the back half of the season. A bad year group, traditionally finishing last in the comp.
Wins: Possibly TGS Losses: All others
9. TGS-Not going anywhere fast
Wins: Downlands yay! Losses All others

Status
Not open for further replies.