• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
also Brad Wilkin from Iona the star number 7 and probably the most deserving player for QLD 1 and Australian Schoolboys has broken his collarbone, so this opens up the question of who's gonna be the new 7 for QLD?

V

vuna goona

wouldn't read much to the downlands game. Grammar were scrappy in the first half, and lacked a bit of intensity. Came out after a downlands kid had a seizure (he is alright) and really looked a lot better. referring was terrible and grammar had a try disallowed and downlands got a penalty try for too many infringements, but they struggled to break the defence. with their try coming from a kick charge down. Grammar also had sam green, lakehm aiono, michael gilbert and andrew saunders out, 4 players who will be certain starters. next week against ipswich should be good test and give an idea where they are at.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Might open up a spot for Macmillan or that Junior bloke

I think Bougoure (TGS), Fitzgerald (NC) and Hood (BBC) are higher in the pecking order for the 7 jersey. That being said Wilkin is an 8 and I think that's where he would have been selected for AIC I and QLD, Junior F (BBC) and Oppenheimer (ACGS) would now have to fancy their chances.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BGS only narrowly beating Downlands is also a surprise, would have expected much more from the light dark blue boys... downlands had a terrible 16's team and very few players in the firsts, i guess that the cold must have gotten to them.

Not surprised by that result at all, in fact I would have expected Downlands to get up. They have numerous players in the CHS representative team. They are a very strong team and BGS wouldn't have had too much time to gel as a team. A good result for Grammar, lets hope they escaped with no injuries, I doubt every team will have that luxury when they come up against the boys from up north.

L

latersfrank

I think Bougoure (TGS), Fitzgerald (NC) and Hood (BBC) are higher in the pecking order for the 7 jersey. That being said Wilkin is an 8 and I think that's where he would have been selected for AIC I and QLD, Junior F (BBC) and Oppenheimer (ACGS) would now have to fancy their chances.

Wilkin has had 8 on his back but been playing at 7. I am 100% sure on this mate.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
yes latersfrank he played one or two games in 8 right?
but he is a natural 7 and for a grade 11 i do believe he is the best player in AIC closely followed by Manu
i doubt that he will be fit for the aus schools trials but next year i have my money on him for that green and gold 7

Not surprised by that result at all, in fact I would have expected Downlands to get up. They have numerous players in the CHS representative team. They are a very strong team and BGS wouldn't have had too much time to gel as a team. A good result for Grammar, lets hope they escaped with no injuries, I doubt every team will have that luxury when they come up against the boys from up north.

i dont agree with you on this one light, BGS's full strength team as much as i hate it far superior to Downlands. although hearing that Aoino, Gilbert, Greene and Saunders did not play is the evidence as to why they didn't perform as well. and what do you mean boys from up north? grammar is a central school and downlands a western school?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
i dont agree with you on this one light, BGS's full strength team as much as i hate it far superior to Downlands. although hearing that Aoino, Gilbert, Greene and Saunders did not play is the evidence as to why they didn't perform as well. and what do you mean boys from up north? grammar is a central school and downlands a western school?

I have no doubt that a full strength Grammar team would destroy Downlands, but as we all know it was a trial. I would have been surprised if Grammar sent a full strength squad and for this reason I would expect Downlands to be competitive. Downlands is a Toowoomba based school, for those of us in Brisbane, Toowoomba is pretty north :)

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I have no doubt that a full strength Grammar team would destroy Downlands, but as we all know it was a trial. I would have been surprised if Grammar sent a full strength squad and for this reason I would expect Downlands to be competitive. Downlands is a Toowoomba based school, for those of us in Brisbane, Toowoomba is pretty north :)

mate light i don't know which Toowoomba your talking about, but the one in QLD Australia is directly west of Brisbane.......

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
If we want to get in to particulars I'd say Toowoomba is WNW.

Looks like a wide open season ahead, Churchie's hype seems to have led to them being talked up a lot without much substance. Here's to a good comp ahead.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
If we want to get in to particulars I'd say Toowoomba is WNW.

Looks like a wide open season ahead, Churchie's hype seems to have led to them being talked up a lot without much substance. Here's to a good comp ahead.

you both need to look at a map because from brisbane city toowoomba is actually west and a little bit south......

but yes churchie game was a let down, but as a terrace boy it was a great game to watch!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not getting involved in this. I am not going to comment on a match which I did not watch. I have made no comment on the match nor am I going to make excuses for such a performance. Encouraging result for Terrace, lets hope it continues once the trials end. Churchie have a lot of work to do, that's no secret.

C

churr

TSS got a win over TGS, 17-5, not many slick backline plays as it was very wet but TSS were the superior team.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
as for Lakhem, as damaging an 8 as he is, I think they are playing him a 12, with birch at 13 which isn't going to be the most enjoyable day for the centre pairings coming up against them.

The word from the BGS camp is that Lakehm Aiono's midfield experiment is over, with a move back to either Number Eight or Tighthead Prop for the trial against Ipswich Grammar next week. His return to a forward pack already containing Cody Blackhurst, Jack Cornelson, Nick Anderson, Michael Gilbert and Andrew Saunders ensures that all opposing teams will face a formidable challenge in the forwards. Likewise in the backs with Sam Greene, Josh Birch and Lewis Radford, who form the crux of a strong Grammar backline.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just reading over the last few pages and I'm a little surprised how much people are making of these trials. I don't think any side has had a full strength XV on the park yet, maybe with the exception of Nudgee and Churchie at Suncorp, but that was only for 20 minutes max, the result being a draw. If there is anything to gain from the GPS squads its that each team has the individuals capable of carrying their schools a long way, but its really going to come down to depth and cohesiveness.

A few people are ridiculing Churchie over their performance on the weekend and probably rightly so. They have been tipped as premiership favourites and against last years wooden-spooners (yes, Terrace still has alot to prove) they didn't exactly set the world on fire. There are no excuses I or any other poster can make on here for their performance. They may have sent out a second-string backline but its nothing we haven't seen in the past, we must remember it is a trial and the same thing happened last year. For those of you who have forgotten, they got hammered by Nudgee in the trial but these performances often don't carry over into the season and history shows.

Nudgee may have put 50+ points on State High but I doubt they are pinning their title hopes on that result. It may speak volumes in relation to their depth and ability to score points but State High aren't the side they used to be and really don't have the depth in key positions. Their win against Grammar was without their best QLD hopes (Grammar was in the same boat) and I would be quite surprised if those boys faced up against Nudgee on the weekend.

I find it interesting that we make nothing of Grammar's loss to BSHS or their narrow win against Downlands and yet as soon as Churchie wins by a margin of less than a converted try all the Terrace lads jump up and down about how overrated Churchie are, yes the same Churchie age group that went undefeated last year, beat TSS, drew with 'favourites' NC and have the most QLD I representatives.

And to the trolls on the previous page who are such believers in a TGS premiership.
ACGS v TGS 2011:
1st XV 42-14
16A 32-0 (TGS 16's did not score one point in either A,B or C teams)
15A 19-7.

In fact, that TGS 16A team lost to ACGS (0-32), BBC (19-22), BSHS (24-26), TSS (0-35), NC (5-24) and IGS (24-29). Getting their only win against, you guessed it, Gregory Terrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.