• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Swarley I'm not going to go through all of the biased/incorrect predictions you have ever made on this forum but I think this attack is a bit unfair. Sure, enjoy your success as a Grammar supporter, and yes, I do think they are looking very good this season - let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Further, I think Light would be happy to admit that Greene is certainly 'as good as Darcy Eason' and if not better.

Anyway Swarley, what were your thoughts on TGS and who were the best players on the park? (Assuming you were there).

I'm not getting ahead of myself. I never said BGS had sealed the premiership or anything close to that. In fact, I conceded that Light could very well be correct in saying Grammar won't win the premiership. All I'm saying is that despite all the anti-BGS sentiment that Light (amongst other posters on this forum) has continually posted, I think that two strong wins against BSHS and TGS (along with their undefeated run through the trial matches) prove that Grammar is not to be written off.

And Light, what exactly have I taken out of context?

But yes, I was at the game today. I thought both sides played brilliantly. Fullback Jonah Placid was a standout, and looked probably the most threatening from either side today. Strong counter-attack, blistering pace, incredible skills- he more than lived up to the hype surrounding his name. Outside centre Jordan Drew also played strongly but was for the most part contained by Josh Birch and Matt Marsden (BGS's #13 and #14 respectively). Placid was obviously the focus point of TGS's attack, especially as a target for kicks. Not everything worked according to plan, however. Opposing fullback Hugo Starr-Thomas did an excellent job of applying pressure to Placid, and an attempt to chip kick over Sam Greene in the last minute of the match to score resulted in an incredible 80m solo try to the BGS fly-half. Greene was, for me, the stand-out player of the match. Placid was constantly individually threatening, but Greene was dominant across the board. He kicked well, distributed effectively to his outside backs, directed play and led from the front, along with several individual moments of brilliance, including the match-sealing try.

Poor discipline marred the game, and killed almost all first half momentum for Toowoomba. Toowoomba's #7 and #2 were yellow-carded within 5 minutes of each other early on, and consequently their opening try in the early stages of the game was soon overshadowed with Sam Greene successfully kicking 4 penalties in quick succession to leave BGS with a 12-5 lead. High shots, late tackles and questionable breakdown tactics from TGS continued throughout the game and subsequently failed to capitalise on their abundance of 2nd-half possession. To be honest, they never looked like winning after Brisbane Grammar took the lead, and didn't do themselves any favours by giving away so many penalties.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
Also would like to mention that Brisbane Grammar is yet to start Nicholas Anderson (1) due to sickness. His inclusion in the team for next week's match against Downlands should add some more firepower into a strong pack that boasts Cody Blackhurst (2) who scored two tries this afternoon and obviously Australian representative Jack Cornelson (8). I've also heard that Lakehm Aiono (12) may be making a return to the GPS arena in coming weeks, a huge addition to a very competitive back line that performed to it's extent against a very strong TGS.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
BSH v BBC
1/2 time ... BBC 18 BSH 15
Full-time BBC 46 BSH 15.
BBC never really had their line threatened but State stayed in the game at half-time through penalties. BSH forwards fought well at the breakdown, the packs were pretty even there. Set plays went to BBC, especially the scrum. BBC won the game out-wide. The final score could have blown out more if BBC hadn't had taken their foot off the pedal in the last 15 minutes.

J

John Coffee

BSH v BBC
1/2 time . BBC 18 BSH 15
Full-time BBC 46 BSH 15.
BBC never really had their line threatened but State stayed in the game at half-time through penalties. BSH forwards fought well at the breakdown, the packs were pretty even there. Set plays went to BBC, especially the scrum. BBC won the game out-wide. The final score could have blown out more if BBC hadn't had taken their foot off the pedal in the last 15 minutes.
Unfortunately looks like it's going to be a long season for State High

Yes indeed Globe Trotter. Trying desperately to look for positives, but there aren't any (looking at the season ahead) I'm afraid. The tight five stood up and #12 had some good coverage for a lot of the game but gaping holes in the backline for BBC to run through was just rediculous. 15 was handy with the boot but let down in other areas. Pointless going on. BBC could have done more I agree with Coodgee Boy, and thankgod they didn't.

Nice to hear Grammer won again.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Everyone should be expecting BGS to come 4th. They are an awesome team who won't come below 4th. Have the potential to cause upsets against many teams this year.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Everyone should be expecting BGS to come 4th. They are an awesome team who won't come below 4th. Have the potential to cause upsets against many teams this year.
They already have. I think with their first two results, the rest of their wins wouldn't exactly be regarded as huge 'upsets'.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
I am by no means a Churchie supporter, but I can't help but to feel disappointed for them.

Can anyone who has watched them tell me what is going on? They literally have a backline full of QLD representatives, as well as a backrow that could line up for their state. Is it a problem with their tight five? Or are they truly suffering from having a 'team of superstars' rather than 'a superstar team'?

For their sake I hope they can find some form against BBC next week, but not too much for the week after against Southport. ;)

Churchie also have a huge injury list. BBC will roll them.:cool:

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
TGS First XV (as per program 28 July)
1.Lachlan Pring
2.Alistair Stewart
3.Markus Vanzati
4.Phil Potgieter(Capt)
5.Alec Stevens
6.Tom Loane
7.Stuart Bourgoure
8.Anton Minenko
9.Adam Deck(Vice Capt)
10.Tom Kidston
11.Billy Sullivan
12.Blaise Hartley
13.Jordan Drew(Vice Capt)
14.Liam Jurd
15.Jonah Placid

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
ACGS vs NC match photo's

Attachments

• P7280761 (Large).JPG
    P7280761 (Large).JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 378
  • P7280764 (Large).JPG
    P7280764 (Large).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 387
  • P7280763 (Large).JPG
    P7280763 (Large).JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 375
  • P7280765 (Large).JPG
    P7280765 (Large).JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 347
  • P7280770 (Large).JPG
    P7280770 (Large).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 368
  • P7280772 (Large).JPG
    P7280772 (Large).JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 354
  • P7280775 (Large).JPG
    P7280775 (Large).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 415
  • P7280778 (Large).JPG
    P7280778 (Large).JPG
    139 KB · Views: 360
  • P7280781 (Large).JPG
    P7280781 (Large).JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 368
  • P7280782 (Large).JPG
    P7280782 (Large).JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 370

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
more photo's

Attachments

• P7280784 (Large).JPG
    P7280784 (Large).JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 348
  • P7280785 (Large).JPG
    P7280785 (Large).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 355
  • P7280786 (Large).JPG
    P7280786 (Large).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 358
  • P7280788 (Large).JPG
    P7280788 (Large).JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 343
  • P7280791 (Large).JPG
    P7280791 (Large).JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 361
  • P7280792 (Large).JPG
    P7280792 (Large).JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 387
  • P7280793 (Large).JPG
    P7280793 (Large).JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 369
  • P7280773 (Large).JPG
    P7280773 (Large).JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 339

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)

Rnd2 Results

1st XV: NC 26 d ACGS 10; BBC 46 d BSHS 15; IGS 15 d GT 13; BGS 29 d TGS 12

16A: NC 36 d ACGS 11; BSHS 43 d BBC 0; GT 17 d IGS 12; BGS 12 v TGS 12

15A: ACGS 12 d NC 5; BSHS 22 d BBC 12; IGS 26 d GT 12; BGS 7 v TGS 7

14A: NC 32 d ACGS 7; BSHS 22 d BBC 12; IGS 28 d GT 12; TGS 19 d BGS 10

13A: ACGS 12 d NC 5; BSHS 46 d BBC 5; GT 12 d IGS 7; TGS 26 d BGS 7

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Rnd2 Results

1st XV: NC 26 d ACGS 10; BBC 46 d BSHS 15; IGS 15 d GT 13; BGS 29 d TGS 12

16A: NC 36 d ACGS 11; BSHS 43 d BBC 0; GT 17 d IGS 12; BGS 12 v TGS 12

15A: ACGS 12 d NC 5; BSHS 22 d BBC 12; IGS 26 d GT 12; BGS 7 v TGS 7

14A: NC 32 d ACGS 7; BSHS 22 d BBC 12; IGS 28 d GT 12; TGS 19 d BGS 10

13A: ACGS 12 d NC 5; BSHS 46 d BBC 5; GT 12 d IGS 7; TGS 26 d BGS 7
Well unless BBC is particularly poor in the lower age groups, it's good to see for State High's sake that there is some good potential for the future.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
the afternoon at Tennyson today to see GT and IGS today was pretty uneventful. The game never really got going with a both teams contributing several handling errors and various penalties. The GT boys looked like they had some type of score to settle by carrying on with a bit of niggle and trying to ruffle the IGS boys. It didn't work and GT settled down.
Both teams seemed poor at the breakdown. Low body height, off feet and attempts to contest every breakdown. I guess that is a difference between a good team - knowing when to leave it or contest it. Both teams just seemed as bad as each other and were penalised accordingly.
IGS had the best of the first half but full credit to the GT boy who just repelled attack after attack on their line. Both teams, more particularly IGS, played the game very tight. Clean line breaks by the backs would have been 2 or 3 tops all game. I don't think the ball got from the half back to the winger in one motion so width was not in the play book for either team today.
Nil all at half time. Should have easily been 6 all but two very kickable penalties missed by both teams. IGS had two from just about in front!!
Second half started once again with some intent to move the ball but the forwards maintained the ball in tight and kept trucking it up. The 10 for GT was a little dynamo and managed to get his team out of pressure a number of times. The 1 for IGS went off at half time it appeared and scrums went uncontested as a result. He gave away a few penalties in the first half so perhaps him leaving was a ploy to get the uncontested scrums in to remove the penalty chance?? I can only guess but looked sus.
The two tries came to IGS from a long pass to a winger overlapping his opposite and a missed tackle in the midfield by GT and the IGS 13 skipped through from 20m out.
GT scored at the death but never really looked like threatening a win.
Impressive defence from them will hold them in good stead for upcoming games but they lack some line breaking power in the mid field and out wide.
IGS rely heavily on their forwards to get them around the park. I would have liked to see the 12 get more opportunities as he looked good with limited chances.
In the end, two evenly contested teams without anything fantastic to tell. Having seen BGS last week, there is a distinct difference between their skills at the breakdown and what I saw today.
Looks like the TSS and NC game next week will be a top game to have a look at. That's where I'm going!

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Churchie are in serious danger of losing first four rounds of the season.

TGS v ACGS(july21) - lost
ACGS v NC(july28) - lost
BBC v ACGS(aug4) - possible loss
TSS v ACGS(aug11) - possible loss
(aug 18) Bye
ACGS v BGS(aug25) - probable loss
GT v ACGS(sept1) - possible loss
ACGS v IGS(sept8) - possible loss
ACGS v BSH(sept15) - probable win

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Also would like to mention that Brisbane Grammar is yet to start Nicholas Anderson (1) due to sickness. His inclusion in the team for next week's match against Downlands should add some more firepower into a strong pack that boasts Cody Blackhurst (2) who scored two tries this afternoon and obviously Australian representative Jack Cornelson (8). I've also heard that Lakehm Aiono (12) may be making a return to the GPS arena in coming weeks, a huge addition to a very competitive back line that performed to it's extent against a very strong TGS.

I heard Lakehm will replace 12. Zachary Laud who is on a sporting scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.