• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsparx

Herbert Moran (7)
Whose TC?

In terms of main ovals, Tennyson with the portable stands on the sideline is number 1 for me. Nothing better than a warm, Saturday afternoon on Internationals. Ross is a very close second, if it wasn't for the stands and the proximity to the game it'd be number 1. TGS' bowl creates one of the best natural viewing platforms I've ever seen, and the grass isn't too shabby either. Shame its always freezing cold, but its good enough for third. Miskin St for BBC is fourth, a nice close viewing proximity, but the airiness of the ground loses some of the crowd noise. It's hard to put TSS this far back, but watching from the visitors side invariably means a heap of glare. Other than that, a nice bowl for viewing a usually strong footy side. ACGS main oval has fantastic grass, however any good seating (out of the sun) is too far away from the game. Not bad though. BGS and State High are tied for worst in my books. BGS is too far away and the whole BSHS complex at Carina is subpar to the rest of the competition.
What would be the best in brisbane considering Marist and Peters ovals?

something

Jim Clark (26)
wow so a few upsets in the mix. churchie bbc tie is pretty accurate, but unexpected.
Ippy beating bshs pretty expected.
Tuttle must be absolutely fundamental to the NC game, thats a big upset.
any word on TGS Terrace?

tripod

Stan Wickham (3)
wow so a few upsets in the mix. churchie bbc tie is pretty accurate, but unexpected.
Ippy beating bshs pretty expected.
Tuttle must be absolutely fundamental to the NC game, thats a big upset.
any word on TGS Terrace?
TGS 28 GT 23 from what I have heard

D

_dark

Two weeks in, and Nudgee looks set to take out the premiership. Churchie has lost its first 2 games, making a premiership at 6 - 2 (at best) unlikely. Toowoomba, having lost a game to Grammar already, is 7 - 1 at best, assuming they beat Nudgee. Ipswich is also undefeated, but just scraped over the line against terrace.

So my question is this: Is there any team in the competition with the potential to beat Nudgee?

This is undoubtably a biased statement, but will Grammar vs Nudgee in round 9 be a Grand Final decider, to see which team will drop a game first?

If we say that Grammar does lose to, say, Churchie and one other school (Ipswich, Southport?), will Toowoomba have the ability to not lose another game this season? and is a three way tie for second likely?

And if Tuttle and a few other key players are injured, does that bring Nudgee down to a level where a strong team like Toowoomba or Grammar could possibly sneak in a win?

Just a few questions on my mind.

I can't see Nudgee slipping up from here. They have IGS, BGS and TSS all at Ross Oval. Anyone with a concept of history will know that the chances are Nudgee won't be beaten at home. The only question mark I have over them would be round 7 at Toowoomba once the depth starts getting tested.

The race for the minor placings will probably be between the other four, I'd have TSS, TGS and BGS ahead of IGS right now but injuries could change things dramatically. Obviously the wildcard team is Churchie as right now no one is quite sure where they are mentally and if they can pull it all together, if they do, there will be an upset or two, particularly looking at BGS @ Churchie and IGS @ Churchie.

Alright guys, great to see Nudgee storming towards a premiership. However, Brisbane Grammar was defeated by a weakened Downlands team today while they were hosting a relatively full squad. Interesting for their future hopes...

G

GPS fan

Alright guys, great to see Nudgee storming towards a premiership. However, Brisbane Grammar was defeated by a weakened Downlands team today while they were hosting a relatively full squad. Interesting for their future hopes.

"....hosting a relatively full squad..." Really? You no doubt know exactly what you are talking about correct?

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Alright guys, great to see Nudgee storming towards a premiership. However, Brisbane Grammar was defeated by a weakened Downlands team today while they were hosting a relatively full squad. Interesting for their future hopes.
Grammar actually rested about 12 of their First XV players. The majority of the side today was made up of 16A and 2nd XV players.

R

ruckandmall

Wrong. BGS was fielding a development 1st XV Squad whilst resting the majority of their players, the only starting 1st XV players were: Anderson, Laud, Harper and Gilbert. The rest were 16A's and 2nd XV players

Team List below:
1. Newton
2. Harper
3. Anderson
4. Gilbert
5. Swanson
6. Spencer
7. Wenck
8. Morrey
9. Burke
10. Traves
11. Cook
12. Laud
13. Kemp
14. Bourke
15. Forsyth

G

GPS fan

Grammar actually rested about 12 of their First XV players. The majority of the side today was made up of 16A and 2nd XV players.

I was told that only 2 BGS players from last weeks side played today, Harper and Gilbert.

D

_dark

"..hosting a relatively full squad." Really? You no doubt know exactly what you are talking about correct?

Sounds like you guys just pointed yourselves out as Grammar supporters. Injuries to Nick Anderson and two other backrowers will no doubt set them back somewhat.

D

_dark

Without significant importing many of those players would have made First XV which says something about Grammar's depth.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Without significant importing many of those players would have made First XV which says something about Grammar's depth.
I wouldnt call it significant importing. There are probably only 4 in the team that haven't been at the school since year 8. Nick Anderson was not playing for the first two rounds anyway and BGS still came away with two wins. Definitely a big loss but one grammar will be able to cover

V

vuna goona

i think your being a bit hard, to say that grammar is just winning cause of importing, because lets be honest, their isn't a school in the competition that does not bring in players. and having imported players does not lead to guranteed sucess. take the point of churchie. Numerous players on scholarship, but little to show for it. coaching, players etc all has to be taken into consideration if you could point out the scholarshipped players that you can be certain of at grammar, that would be great. I would like to find out, how many have been their since yr 8 and compare that to other schools.

R

ruckandmall

Lakehm Aiono (BGS 12.) is set to make a return against IGS in next weekends fixtures, surely adding a lot of firepower to the Grammar backline

D

_dark

I wouldnt call it significant importing. There are probably only 4 in the team that haven't been at the school since year 8. Nick Anderson was not playing for the first two rounds anyway and BGS still came away with two wins. Definitely a big loss but one grammar will be able to cover

Greene is essentially an import. I would put it at no less than 6 (including Kemp) but think about who they are. Cornelsen, Greene, Blackhurst, Birch are all key players. Their only hope of winning the title is with Aiono returning next week (or so I've heard), but at the same time he could try to do too much and put their cohesion under threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.