• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Why is BGS being tipped to lose to ACGS? Reasons? Explanations?
I think it more that Churchie was 'a team of superstars, and not a superstar team' in the first half of the season they lacked the synergy to get over the line. My opinion is that after 4 games together they will finally connect and showcase the skills they were always meant to show. Them coming off a bye round is also a dangeous position for BGS. Not only that but, as they have no hope for the title, they are now playing for their pride and have nothing to lose. All pressure off Churchie and the luck at their side tomorrow COULD lead to an upset.

However, I believe the coaching staff and players at Brisbane grammar will be ready for this and won't take the game lightly.

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it can be established this far in the season that there is two tiers in the competition (three if you count state high as there own tier)

Top Tier (still hopeful for priemership): NC, IGS, TSS, BGS, TGS
Middle Tier (playing off for sixth): BBC, GT, ACGS
Bottom Tier (hoping to win a game): BSHS

With this in mind I will make my tips for this weekend I am 13/20 thus far.

TSS d TGS
NC d IGS
BGS d ACGS
GT d BSHS

I think this round is pretty straight forward to call. There has been a fair bit of speculation that churchie will be able to produce a win this weekend. I believe Grammar are the better team and will get the win. Terrace has not lived up to the hype that has been going on around them and it will be embarrassing if they lose this game but I can not see that happening. Nudgee just dominated their rival school terrace which gives them a lot of momentum coming into this game and should be able to use that to knock ippy off. TSS in my opinion is better than TGS but that being said Toowoomba has just come off a upset victory against IGS and will be looking to disrupt southports title aspirations. These should be some very good games this week best of luck to all the teams

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is nothing to uncover at BSHS. The U16's are small and unremarkable. This week's BSHS first XV line up strongly resembles the Sunnybank U16 team that played Taylor Bridge in the U17 club grand final. The TB team in that game were largely the BSHS grade 12's not deemed worthy to play first XV rugby. TB of course easily won the club grand final. GT by 20.

Do you have the state high firsts team list for this weekend?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Been busy with work this week so only just have time to get my tips in now:

NC d IGS by 8
GT d BSHS by 12
ACGS d BGS by 4
TSS d TGS by 6

Got 4/4 last week so you heard it here first folks

[Banter] Rumour has it Morelando Bloom is dogging the bledisloe cup for the Stuartholme HOR party. I just hope he doesn't get scared and end up 'driving' the girls away ;) [/Banter]

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
20-13 to Grammar over Churchie. I'd just like to have quick go at Churchies absolutely disgusting behaviour during the game both on and off the field.

As Greene lined up his first 3 or 4 kicks Churchie supporters waited until he was a foot away from striking the ball before screaming out calls about Greene's mother.

This hooligan behaviour was continued on the field when both Greene and Radford (11) were brutally and illegally targeted after kicking the ball away. Amazingly, BOTH the touch judges and referee saw nothing of the shoulder charges (unlikely at best, the contacts were huge) or saw something and chose to play on. After the third incident a yellow card should have been given.

C

Coastboy

Another team fell victim at the shark tank today with southport getting up over the boys from the range 29-14
Sets up next weekends big game against Grammar at Northgate nicely looking like it will be a premiership decider

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Brisbane Grammar School.

What a game! BGS have improved out of sight in their 1st XV program. Grammar deserved the win, and got it. Greene had an outstanding day with the boot, and Lakehm put some big hits on. Despite the shocking refs, BGS still won 20 - 13. With TSS, GT and NC coming up for the Grammarians, we might be seeing a few upsets.

Do people think Grammar can knock over TSS at Northgate? I do.

R

ruckandmall

Agree completely with the King,
I headed out to east brisbane today in what I though would be one of the matches of the round and it indeed turned out to be a nailbiter.

Churchie proved formidable and held a 1 point lead (13-12) over Grammar with about 5-10 to go, an unconverted try in the corner to grammar soon after, and penalty conversion following from Greene saw Grammar get up 20-13 at the whistle.

Greene's kicking game and ability to slot 3 pointers from all over the ground was a show in itself, can definitely see a future for him in the game.

Churchie's sportsmanship was deplorable to say the least, after watching the 2nd XV game in which the Churchie side continually yelled slurs at both the ref and Grammar goal kicker, the 1sts crowd proved to be just as bad. The Churchie crowd erupted in swear words and slurs against the Grammar side, particularly when Greene was kicking - and could be heard from the other side of the ground, it was a disgrace and certainly has changed my opinion on the school itself.

My 2 cents on the fall from grace of the Churchie side was their over-confidence and cockiness, they bloated about their reputation as premiership favourites and believed they had it in the bag from the get go.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
A disappointing loss to BSHS from GT (24-12 I think)
A very slow game, there must have been 20+ scrum resets. The ref was not the most able, but I guess you have to give it to state high in the end

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
NC v IGS team list (aug25)
1.Postal 1.Pleash(C)
2.Mafi 2.Harris
3.Wessels 3.Takau
4.Fordyce 4.Parcell
5.Speldewinde 5.Preen
6.Rodwell 6.Stephen
7.Fitzgerald 7.Mulheron
8.Sikimeti 8.Fa'anana-Schultz
9.Tweedy 9.Simms-Chambers
10.James 10.Adcock
11.Tenakenai 11.McKitrick
12.Jones 12.Tela
13.Jack Tuttle(C) 13.Hayes
14.Hussey 14.Kurangi
15.James Tuttle 15.Todd

Welcome back Dylan Sikimeti

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
NC v IGS photo's(aug25)

Attachments

• P8250983 (Large).JPG
    P8250983 (Large).JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 341
  • P8250989 (Large).JPG
    P8250989 (Large).JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 351
  • P8250995 (Large).JPG
    P8250995 (Large).JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 303
  • P8251000 (Large).JPG
    P8251000 (Large).JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 326
  • P8251006 (Large).JPG
    P8251006 (Large).JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 304
  • P8251008 (Large).JPG
    P8251008 (Large).JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 341
  • P8251010 (Large).JPG
    P8251010 (Large).JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 331
  • P8251013 (Large).JPG
    P8251013 (Large).JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 314
  • P8251018 (Large).JPG
    P8251018 (Large).JPG
    136 KB · Views: 324
  • P8251028 (Large).JPG
    P8251028 (Large).JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 333

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Match report - BGS vs ACGS

Interesting game at Churchie today, not sure whether BGS played bad or ACGS played well but penalties were plenty. 5 minutes in, a penalty kick was taken by the grammar captain, #10 Sam Greene, ~47m out and 5m in from the sideline. Just making the distance and taking the initial pressure off BGS. This is a usual pattern I have seen were any team that makes an error inside their 50, Grammar have been sure to capitalise.

As the half went on, Churchie looking deadly in the backs but the Grammar defence was impenetrable. The BGS forwards delievering some crushing runs and tackles surely hindered the moral of ACGS. A yellow card was given to Greene 5 minutes from half time, not sure why, can anyone fill me in here? Churchie wasn't able to score any points off this, leaving the half time score 9-6 to BGS.

The 2nd half allowed Greene to kick his 4th penalty in the first few minutes, the shoe of Greene quickly becoming Grammars path to victory it was obvious Churchie were doing what ever they could to take him out of the game.
A heavy statement but surely those late tackles didn't happen to target Greene just by chance? Yes he was kicking the ball but you would believe 1st XV players would go for the charge down and not the player.

A massive late tackle by Churchie captain, #10 Darcy Eason, on Greene left im down injured allowing churchie to run the ball right through the defence of Grammar and score. Neither touchies or the Ref paid any attention to the late tackle nor the previous few that happened in the first half. Try converted with 10-15 left on the clock left BGS on the back foot trailing by 1, they spent the next minutes making desperate attempts at the tryline, which eventually paid off in the usual fashion of a pick and drive off the back of a ruck.
Greene missed his only kick of the game from a difficult angle leaving the score 13-17.

A large amount of injury time was added to the game going 8 minutes past the 70 minutes mark on the scoreboard, nice to see the Ref time the match by his watch and not a schoolboy behind a window in a room...

Grammar took their time winding down the time, scoring another penalty off the boot of Greene.
Eventually the ball found touch ending the game 20-13

Standout players being
#2 Alistair Harper
#5 Ben Muller
#8 Cornelson
#10 Green
#12? Lakehm Aiono
#13? Joshua Birch
#14 Hugo Starr-Thomas - Who went down a few times during the game but still managed to playon

From ACGS -
#2 unknown
#11 Monty Ioane
#14 Sam Hyne

P.S. It was topic of conversation a week or two ago that the days of silence when a kick was taken were over, the general consensus was that they were. Which i totally disagreed with btw, i never knew where the opinions that were opposite to mine were coming from until today. The first kick of the day the parents were unaware of procedures as it took sometime for them to pipe down. The 2nd kick they were fine, Churchie however, were not. Calling out obscenities seconds before a game changing kick was taken is absolutly appaling. This happened once or twice more where i suppose a teacher told them off? Either way, the student body should be punished for this and I hope they are truly sorry for their actions as supporters today.

Looks like NC TSS and BGS are the three schools left with a shot at the title. BGS vs TSS in round 7 and BGS vs NC in round 9 are sure to be the deciders. Which ever of those teams stays undefeated in the last 3 games will be sure to win. There is chance for those 3 teams to all lose one match however, leaving it in a 4/5 way tie.
Current Points standings after today.
1 NC - 10 - bye to come
2 IGS - 8 - bye to come
2 BGS - 8
2 TSS - 8
5 TGS - 6
6 BBC - 3
7 GT - 2
7 BSHS - 2 - bye to come
9 ACGS - 1

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Looks like NC TSS and BGS are the three schools left with a shot at the title. BGS vs TSS in round 7 and BGS vs NC in round 9 are sure to be the deciders. Which ever of those teams stays undefeated in the last 3 games will be sure to win. There is chance for those 3 teams to all lose one match however, leaving it in a 4/5 way tie.
Current Points standings after today.
1 NC - 10 - bye to come
2 IGS - 8 - bye to come
3 BGS - 8
4 TSS - 8
5 TGS - 6
6 GT - 4
7 BBC - 3
8 ACGS - 1
9 BSHS - 0 - Bye to come[/quote]

Terrace are on 2 points, so are BSHS which make the last 4:
6. BBC-3