• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G&GR News Bot

For the second weekend in a row, a number of matches were fought out between teams at the top of the ladder. Unlike last weekend however, the weekend’s scores were almost universally tight. Barring the anomalous 18 point victory by Ipswich Grammar over BBC, the average margin was a little over 2 points. Fighting tooth and nail for

Click this link to read the full article...

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
BGS are ridiculously dependent on Sam Greene's kicking ability.
I looked at some of the results, if BGS didn't have his ability to take penalties (This doesn't include conversions or in game kicking) this would be the scoreline:
BGS Vs TSS (26-23 Win)
4 Penalties (23-14 Loss)
BGS Vs ACGS (20-13 Win)
5 Penalties (13-5 Loss)
BGS Vs BBC (51-37 Win)
3 Penalties (42-37 Win)
BGS Vs TGS (29-12 Win)
4 Penalties (17-12 Win)
Couldn't get the penalty count for the other matches (Green gold didn't have reports)
But if a team could avoid giving away penalties (Or I suppose, take out Greene's boot some other way) I have no doubt their chances of beating BGS would be significantly higher

oldref

Bob McCowan (2)
For the second weekend in a row, a number of matches were fought out between teams at the top of the ladder. Unlike last weekend however, the weekend’s scores were almost universally tight. Barring the anomalous 18 point victory by Ipswich Grammar over BBC, the average margin was a little over 2 points. Fighting tooth and nail for

Click this link to read the full article.

Other game for the weekend saw a full strength BSHS beat Downlands 31-19 scoring 10 points in the last 5 minutes to seal it after going try for try all game.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Obviously Matt Marsden deserves a lot of credit (starting with a well-deserved U16 QLD White jersey) for the freakish and spectacular performances he has been putting in week-in, week-out, but I do agree with Yoloruggers when he says that it was a team try. Sam Greene had a spectacular match, keeping BGS in the hunt with penalties from all over the field, whilst marshalling an outstanding backline performance leading from the front. Josh Birch and Lakehm Aiono provided some brilliant midfield solidity and support play across the board, and the entire forward pack more than matched their opposites. We often talk about the "superstars" from teams- Greene, Cornelson, Blackhurst, Aiono, Birch etc.- but it's players like Dalton Cox (BGS #5) and Patrick Morrey (BGS #7) who really don't get the accolades they deserve. Their contributions, amongst the entire 1st XV squad, have helped provided the platform for Grammar success this season.

Let's not forget that Grammar have been very well coached and have the most experienced "waterboy" in the business. Those boys would have benefited immeasurably from that experience in the last couple of years. I doubt they will be complacent.
Good luck to them!

G

GPS fan

I looked at some of the results, if BGS didn't have his ability to take penalties (This doesn't include conversions or in game kicking) this would be the scoreline:
BGS Vs TSS (26-23 Win)
4 Penalties (23-14 Loss)
BGS Vs ACGS (20-13 Win)
5 Penalties (13-5 Loss)
BGS Vs BBC (51-37 Win)
3 Penalties (42-37 Win)
BGS Vs TGS (29-12 Win)
4 Penalties (17-12 Win)
Couldn't get the penalty count for the other matches (Green gold didn't have reports)
But if a team could avoid giving away penalties (Or I suppose, take out Greene's boot some other way) I have no doubt their chances of beating BGS would be significantly higher

Yes BGS decide at times to take the 3 points rather than kick to touch and take the lineout, so what? As for the penalties that BGS receive that has nothing to do with Greene. People here are going on about how great Greene is and forgetting about tthe strength of the BGS tight five. They are very fast to the breakdown and if you don't release the ball or play the ball whilst you are on the ground the referee will blow his whistle. It is not about Greene's boot but more about Blackhurst, Cornelsen, Harper and co head down arse up in the ruck.

Yoloruggers

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes BGS decide at times to take the 3 points rather than kick to touch and take the lineout, so what? As for the penalties that BGS receive that has nothing to do with Greene. People here are going on about how great Greene is and forgetting about tthe strength of the BGS tight five. They are very fast to the breakdown and if you don't release the ball or play the ball whilst you are on the ground the referee will blow his whistle. It is not about Greene's boot but more about Blackhurst, Cornelsen, Harper and co head down arse up in the ruck.

Definitely going to agree with you on this one. If a team is making mistakes at the breakdown etc, then they deserve to have points put on them. Its all about discipline and structure which is clearly lacking in some schools coaching.

Yoloruggers

Stan Wickham (3)
^mate he scored the winning try, which he has done on more than one occasion. its okay to give the kid some props. Also, he hardly puts the win on the one kid; mentions him once.

I never said dont give him props but theres been three posts in which TheKing has not given credit to the team as a whole but on Matt.

T

tightfive

BGS Vs TSS (26-23 Win)
4 Penalties (23-14 Loss)
BGS Vs ACGS (20-13 Win)
5 Penalties (13-5 Loss)
BGS Vs BBC (51-37 Win)
3 Penalties (42-37 Win)
BGS Vs TGS (29-12 Win)
4 Penalties (17-12 Win)
I'm really struggling to grasp the point you're trying to make here.
1. Team that scores most points wins.
2. If you infringe you get penalised

U

Usain Bolt

There has been a lot of talk about Marsden being the Ben Barba of BGS rugby. Maybe so. However rugby is a team game. The other 14 members of the BGS first XV should therefore pass the ball to Marsden.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm really struggling to grasp the point you're trying to make here.
1. Team that scores most points wins.
2. If you infringe you get penalised
My point is not that BGS don't deserve their wins, just that their greene/the other team getting penalised is very central to their gameplay. Its also very boring to watch a team that continually goes for the points.

G

GPS fan

My point is not that BGS don't deserve their wins, just that their greene/the other team getting penalised is very central to their gameplay. Its also very boring to watch a team that continually goes for the points.

What is central to BGS's game is to score points. The forwards are quick to the breakdown and if the opposition did not infringe in the ruck BGS would continue their drives forward. What is boring is watching teams not releasing the ball when tackled and preventing a teams go forward.

T

tightfive

I doubt if you will find anyone who will describe grammars play this year as boring. There is always strong attacking intent and a great deal of flair. Just because they take gifted points says more about the ill discipline of the opposition than it does about the BGS game plan. Great sides make you pay all over the park. Lest we forget Michael lynaghs dominance at school boy level. GT rode that boot to several premierships.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)

It is not like Greene is the only one that can kick... Against TSS, Mitch Third put a whole lot of tough 3 pointers on Grammar early in the game, something Grammar hasn't seen all season.
Deserving wins or not, at the end of the day Grammar won, any legal tactic that will put a team up is worth taking. Exactly what the people above me have said. If teams are going to break the rules and be penalised, they should be punished for it. After 7 rounds no team has seemed to learn from this, It will be interesting to see GT's discipline this Saturday.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)

I'd rather watch my team take points, consistently win and be in the hunt for a premiership than watch my team take a tap or kick for line and consistently lose and be in the hunt for the wooden spoon......

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)

Click this link to read the full article.

The injury list clearly is hurting BBC from what you say. Reading between the lines their skill level with the players who were involved just didn't make the cut. Sadly, with a nine week season, an injury can rule a player out for much of the comp.
The atmosphere at Northgate during several key points of the game last week was awesome. Waiting for the NC v BGS clash is like a kid impatiently waiting for santa to arrive. Fair point made though, hope BGS don't drop the ball now so to speak and give GT a sniff.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
The amount of crap flying around with this Grammar team, I'm awfully excited to see how they actually look in person.

Can't see them beating Nudgee though. They have the best forwards, the most underrated flyhalf and the best player. Can't see this Marsden character tackling the big bopper Nudgee have flying down the wing. Game, set, match NC.

Risky

Bob McCowan (2)
I think you Underestimate Marsden's ability to play, he would tackle anyone if it meant him winning a rugby game, he would tackle someone if it meant him going to hospital. The Grammar forward pack is one of the most talented in the GPS with Cornelson coming off the back of the scrum and the power house in Blackhurst at prop then i think grammar's forward are just as good as nudgee's

I agree with you on that one, he has been very efficient around the field in all aspects of the game. although he isn't the biggest player, he certainly makes up for it in speed, awareness and endurance. Even at the breakdown he makes a difference and puts his body on the line to secure the ball. One of the most talented players of the competition definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom