• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
I don't get the frustration TBO, given the hype around BBC all off season I really don't think we could be discussing the 'Rugby' without looking at what happened to BBC, the performance and impact of all the 'new' boys is a very obvious and import factor in that 'performance'.

Seems like some are happy to talk up the stars but don't like to see them questioned when the performance doesn't meet the hype.

I'm more surprised at the anger expressed towards these boys now that things aren't going so well. Seems like last year when it looked like they had a shot everyone was waving the flag, but now that the wheels have fallen off this year it's all the imports fault. Supposedly it seems now, no one should be 1st XV unless they started in Year 8. Have a look how the 2nds and 3rds are going. There's your year 8 boys. It is obvious to me that it is a coaching and development problem this year, rather than a player problem.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree that schoolboys representing at Sanix should be the best possible.

As I understand it the tournament is in April 2015 and the cost to the school/boys is about $60K for a 30 person team.

Add to this the physical toll on the players in the lead up to GPS season. While it may have had some positives for Nudgee when they went ... I'm sure they would also have appreciated not having to deal with the injuries.

Just my thoughts.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm more surprised at the anger expressed towards these boys now that things aren't going so well. Seems like last year when it looked like they had a shot everyone was waving the flag, but now that the wheels have fallen off this year it's all the imports fault. Supposedly it seems now, no one should be 1st XV unless they started in Year 8. Have a look how the 2nds and 3rds are going. There's your year 8 boys. It is obvious to me that it is a coaching and development problem this year, rather than a player problem.

I agree - but again I believe that has more to do with discussing the Rugby and the performance of the preseason favorites than it does about whether schools should or shouldn't offer scholarships. How the boys are recruited, inducted into the school, team selections and performance on the weekends and the impact this all has on the 'team' is very much about the rugby.

I just don't see that the thread has gotten away from discussing rugby in favour of discussing the moral validity of offering scholarships.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Scholarship debate/discussion/dialogue currently extends to over 250 pages on a specific thread.

The thread keeps re-inventing itself each year as a new team of players and parents come into the school system, and one cohort leaves. The arguments both for and against are basically cyclic and are essentially variations on a theme for both the Affirmative, Negative and Outright Denial sides of the debate.

There seems to be a fair bit less emotion surrounding discussion of scholarships in the QLD GPS thread, and as such there is a lot more tolerance of scholarship discussion than there is in the NSW GPS thread, where it is a no-no. If the QLD GPS scholarship discussion threatens to sidetrack the thread off the topic, which is the QLD GPS competition for 2014, then the Mods will take a far harder line.

Keep the talk about the 2014 competition and everyone will be happy.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
In relation to the talk around Churchie 2nd 5 (Jaydn Sua), about having not so much impact, i have to disagree, and i feel that it is a bit harsh given that at 12 his role does not afford him the same time & space as the other members of Churchie's Big 3 (Ponga & Perese).

At 2nd 5 he is either distributing early outwide or cutting back into traffic on a 1/2 inside ball 75% of the time. He has been superb in defence and laid on some bruising hits. I aim yet to recall any line breaks through the Churchie midfield. The limited opportunities he has had in attack he has either broke the first line of defense, or carried defenders past the advantage line. He is adjusting to the position very well as in league he has played at centre/2nd row which would usually put him on the flanks.

With lethal weapons in Perese & Ponga outside him, what more would you expect? In order to get the same attention as those two, he would have to play selfishly to the detriment of the team IMO. Has been a great team player and has complimented the backline beautifully, delivering great ball to Perese on early attacking shifts and taking on the line as hard as anyone on inside dump offs.

Sam Davis

Frank Row (1)
IGS vs. BSHS this should be a thrilling game with both teams desperate for the win.
I believe with wingers like Connor Storck (IGS 11) igs should get past the post.
Connor was called up last week and certainty didn't disappoint starting as my man of the match for the game. No wonder the train drivers stopped and had a look at the game with an athlete like him on the park. also note that igs have 9 grade 11's in there first XV.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just a quick response in regard to BBC in Sanix rather than best team in Country ilke NZ does, that will never happen unless ARU administers schoolboy level.

In NZ, all province unions administer schoolboy rugby in their region. Entry is open to all schools, and they are graded like the EPL year to year with lower teams in Premier 1 being up for relegation, and Prem 2 winners up for promotion etc. Each region winner (and there are playoffs) then gets a ticket to the big dance, the national top 16 knockout tournament. The crowned national champion is then sent to the Sanix tournament the next year. Not possible under current australian administration of rugby here with closed interests and private school associations.

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
that's a great statement about this years 12 for Churchie and obviously you know your rugby. My comments were that of praise. I have seen 2.5 games and I was impressed by the kids physicality and the fact he does actually know his role. I thought he could have been exposed by a more known/experienced inside centre last week but watching half the game on stream, didn't seem to be. Imagine if we could keep that "big 3" in the game of rugby! I knew all about Perese but only heard about the other 2 at their game against TGS where there was a lot of talk about that whole team!

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
Great news about Eddie, he is a great kid with talent to match. Still believe BSHS would have been a big threat this year, had they not had their injury toll.

countrylad18

Frank Row (1)
I was told by one of the fathers, who went to ACGS vs NC on the weekend that the ACGS crowd was louder and in greater numbers then they have been in the last few years. Does anyone agree?

Can't wait for ACGS vs TSS next week.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
quote="rugbyhead01, post: 650597, member: 21673"]Great news about Eddie, he is a great kid with talent to match. Still believe BSHS would have been a big threat this year, had they not had their injury toll.[/quote] really what do you base those comments on .... Can I lend your crystal ball ... Lol

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Great news about Eddie, he is a great kid with talent to match. Still believe BSHS would have been a big threat this year, had they not had their injury toll.
really what do you base those comments on .. Can I lend your crystal ball . Lol

It's not an unfair statement at all IMO.

If I recall correctly State High started the year by coming second at the National Schoolboy Sevens Championships in Sydney to Scots, who were the center of national attention on sports scholarships for weeks after thrashing 2013 joint premiers Newington by 100 points.

They followed that up by beating Churchie by a try in the GPS Trials, ending up with between 6 and 9 selected somewhere in those three teams. They had quite a few of those move in to the Queensland Schoolboys set up when teams were selected.

Round 1 saw State High lose Liam MacNamara, who I can assure anyone who hasn't seen him play is a very, very talented young player. Despite losing their flyhalf early in the second, State High were able to put 30 points through Toowoomba Grammar's already much vaunted defence, which did a very impressive job on Churchie in Round 3, and win a close game.

Round 2 had that blowout to Churchie at Churchie, which is probably a fair result considering how good Churchie are this year.

Round 3 was another convincing win over BGS away from home.

Round 4 saw them beat BBC at BBC in horrible conditions.

There's no doubt that Sautia and MacNamara were in the top 3 best players in that squad, and Jimmy Patrick is up there as well.

State High are a good side. If they didn't have any injuries at all they'd be a second tier team in this years comp, and push hard to finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. It's sad that poor depth will probably see them much lower than they probably deserved in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Just a quick response in regard to BBC in Sanix rather than best team in Country ilke NZ does, that will never happen unless ARU administers schoolboy level.

In NZ, all province unions administer schoolboy rugby in their region. Entry is open to all schools, and they are graded like the EPL year to year with lower teams in Premier 1 being up for relegation, and Prem 2 winners up for promotion etc. Each region winner (and there are playoffs) then gets a ticket to the big dance, the national top 16 knockout tournament. The crowned national champion is then sent to the Sanix tournament the next year. Not possible under current australian administration of rugby here with closed interests and private school associations.
Best administrative proposal / solution to Aust'n schoolboy rugby that I have read on this entire forum !

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
S

If I recall correctly State High started the year by coming second at the National Schoolboy Sevens Championships in Sydney to Scots, who were the center of national attention on sports scholarships for weeks after thrashing 2013 joint premiers Newington by 100 points.

They followed that up by beating Churchie by a try in the GPS Trials, ending up with between 6 and 9 selected somewhere in those three teams. They had quite a few of those move in to the Queensland Schoolboys set up when teams were selected.

Round 1 saw State High lose Liam MacNamara, who I can assure anyone who hasn't seen him play is a very, very talented young player. Despite losing their flyhalf early in the second, State High were able to put 30 points through Toowoomba Grammar's already much vaunted defence, which did a very impressive job on Churchie in Round 3, and win a close game.

Round 2 had that blowout to Churchie at Churchie, which is probably a fair result considering how good Churchie are this year.

There's no doubt that Sautia and MacNamara were in the top 3 best players in that squad, and Jimmy Patrick is up there as well.

State High are a good side. If they didn't have any injuries at all they'd be a second tier team in this years comp, and push hard to finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. It's sad that poor depth will probably see them much lower than they probably deserved in 2014.

National sevens championships ... Interesting title for a comp that is run by the host school and can you tell me any other qld teams that competed in this NATIONAL SEVENS CHAMPIONSHIPS .... ??? You stated trial form ... Really does that count to championship form... How did they go against BBC in the trial ... How did NC go in their trials... ???

How many players do Churchie and NC have in the GPS. Teams??? Guess less then BSHS but that doesn't point to a successful GPS season... How did the reds go in trials and look at their season ...

Round 3 win over BGS conviencing ... Really ?? Have you seen the other scores against this team and it's only round 4.

Round 4 lucky it was in the wet.

Let's see how the rest of the season results go for them...???

I do agree with your statement in regards to the three players mention that they are top players at BSHS but all teams have injuries I sure NC wouldn't be saying if we had our 2 injuried players we would if beaten Churchie or BBC saying if we had the 5 players that were injuried early in the rounds we would of won... Every school has injuries and not ever player that plays seconds can step up to first 15 level doesn't matter on the numbers... Terrace have down to 6ths numbers means little at this level...

How have they gone in the last 3 to 4 years .... Maybe they use that excuse every year ...!! Maybe time to look in other areas !!!

Like to know how many of the last four top 2 premiership teams have had injuried players on the sidelines...

Just spoke to a dad over at BSHS and about 8 year 11's played against BBC and they won... Depth ??? should of ... would of ...results are results

Congrats on beating us on Saturday with so many year 11 players ... Can you confirm how many year 11 played???

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
National sevens championships . Interesting title for a comp that is run by the host school and can you tell me any other qld teams that competed in this NATIONAL SEVENS CHAMPIONSHIPS .. ???
The sevens tournament at Scots College is just called "The Schoolboys Rugby Tournament". Scots certainly don't claims it is a national championship. The tournament has been going since 2010, with Scots winning it for the first time this year. Twelve schools participated this year, with teams from New Zealand, PNG, Singapore, Melbourne, a couple of schools from Canberra and Queensland.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)

round 4 they beat BBC at State High in terrible conditions the field was a mud patch thru the middle it was a disgrace.
And I just heard a whisper that the captain of rugby at BBC is back in the 1st's!

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Round 5 tips
NC v TSS.
Nudgee to defeat TSS in a tight match.

IGS v BSHS
Ippy by 10.
State High have too many key players injured .

BBC v ACGS
Churchie to thrash BBC

TGS v GT
Toowoomba by 12
Hard to beat at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.