• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Churchie XV have only won one game as of yet by 50+, against BSHS.

However, it has slid under the radar that Churchie are looking to wrap up both the basketball and rugby premierships undefeated. Does anyone know the last time a school has done this? Presumably it has been a while. I think

They beat IGS by 30'. They point I was trying to make was that ACGS have a shitload of Australian and Qld reps in both sports . Very hard to compete against that

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Anyone know what is wrong with the BBC 2XV? They have a team of much better players than last year but haven't pulled a win yet? I'm not totally sure if this is accurate, straight from the grape vine.

I think the 2nd's have drawn a game, but yes, they haven't won a game yet. Last year I think they finished 3rd (unlucky not to be 2nd). Don't know if they have much better players but this year they just don't seem to be gelling together. Like the 1st's, something just doesn't seem to be working.

emuarse said:
I noticed last week at the BBC/Churchie game that Gilmore brought on a number of reserves for the last quarter of the game.
Why Barker doesn't do that with BBC has me buggered?
Also it seems the reserves know that there is no way they'll get a run in the 1st's - because BBC doesn't use it's bench, most of them don't even bother putting a jersey on.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
How far off is this?

It's midsemesters at uni and QCS at school, so All the writers are a bit busy at the moment I'm afraid.

I know Churchie at TSS is being written as quickly as possible by @ruggasXV, but I haven't heard anything from @Spikhaza about his progress for BBC/GT. When it's done I'll update the forum, I promise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Frankie Calugay @ NC is another Alstonville lad. QLD SAS forces mounted a raid on Alstonville at the end of 2012 and kidnapped both him and Joey F. They have been held hostage behind enemy lines since.

Reece Hewat is from the Illawarra not Alstonville. Kidnapped from the NSW U15's after starring at the inaugural and only AJRU National Championships on the Sunshine Coast.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Frankie Calugay @ NC is another Alstonville lad. QLD SAS forces mounted a raid on Alstonville at the end of 2012 and kidnapped both him and Joey F. They have been held hostage behind enemy lines since.

Reece Hewat is from the Illawarra not Alstonville. Kidnapped from the NSW U15's after starring at the inaugural and only AJRU National Championships on the Sunshine Coast.
The Qld SAS are very efficient - they nabbed Ben Gunter on the way home as well. I hear BBC preseason tour was in Nthn NSW this year as well!

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
The Qld SAS are very efficient - they nabbed Ben Gunter on the way home as well. I hear BBC preseason tour was in Nthn NSW this year as well!
Gunter is from Gunnadah.
Seabrooke who had a game last week in BBC firsts is from Tamworth.
Stead who has 2 game in the firsts and was in last years 15A team is from Coffs Harbour.
A few raids done by BBC further over the boarder!
BBC tour was more community based at Moree( junior coaching clinic), Tamworth(game) and Coff's Harbour(game).

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
TSS v ACGS match report coming very soon lads, apologies for the delay. Anyone know who scored Churchie's fifth try? Beginning of the second half, a forwards try in close shortly after a 5 metre lineout.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Disagree Usedup. I think Terrace and BSHS are the only non boarding schools. The Boarders returning to their homes (many remote) is a big factor.

The GPS Assoc - just couldn't align their terms up properly this year. Cannot remember it being a factor last year. All games fit within every school's Term 3. One day they will learn and get it right...

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
TSS v ACGS match report coming very soon lads, apologies for the delay. Anyone know who scored Churchie's fifth try? Beginning of the second half, a forwards try in close shortly after a 5 metre lineout.

It was the loose forward Jeremy Gimpel

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Yes and no. Also a growing trend amongst the schools for either getting the students repeating a year when a "sportsman" commences in the older age groups or putting them through year 11 and 12 over three years.

So that in their final year, the students are 18 and "hardened" athletes.

One school is known for actively getting their students to do only one subject and sometimes two in their final year (having elected to do year 12 over two years) and then pay the students to do groundsman work on their fields during the spare time across the day.

Another school is aligned to the NSW schooling system for the age the boys start at the school (being six months behind the QLD system) and they dominate the Open Age Groups year in, year out because the boys are on average six months older in Year 12 and have already played Open in the season before.

Look at many of the outstanding rugby players this year from some of the schools and I would reckon that many of them turned 18 this year. I saw the bios of the BBC boys recently and saw that one of the outstanding players was around 18 and a half years old. His opposite number that day had turned 16 only a couple of months ago. The opposite number was good enough to be there, but I know that having over two years age and experience would have been a massive factor and an advantage.

It will work its way out with next year's year 8 cohort being the first prep year in Queensland, but there is at least another five years to go before this occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.